Condensation in Vinotemp

gsmoke

I'm getting lots of condensation in my Vinotemp. I've had this fridge for about 3 years and never seen this much condensation. The Vinotemp temperature also drops way down when the condensation builds up and I can't get it to go back up to 65 degrees F.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Any suggestions for how to help make sure it doesn't happen?

For now I gotta take the boxes I have on the bottom (I know, I know) out and put a rack back in, see if I can fit everything. It's super damp and moist in there. Yikes.

These situations are not easy to diagnose with any certainty but generally they fit into one of a couple of categories and that is one of differential compensation or a control issue. Remember your refrigerated humidor is always battling your ambient conditions. If this year is especially damp, or hot and damp that is the root of your problem. Depending on what you are using as a water supply that too could be a problem. Air exchanges are another problem.

My refrigerated humidors currently are producing a lot of water too. We have had a very damp year. Mine do run a dry cycle which is helpful. The key is in the capture and reuse or isolation of the condensate. I am getting so much that I don't bother to rehydrate, I just collect and dispose.

Needless to say it is important to separate your cigars from the condensate. I have seen several people plug up their drain holes... A bad idea! I use a false back in my humidors to separate the cigars from the cooling coil and any water that has precipitated there.

I am working on some schemes to use both an active humidifier and active desiccant bead box. Since I have only been experimenting with the idea I don't feel like it is a good idea to pitch it as a solution until such time that I can determine that it is a real solution and just another way to over complicate a humidor.

The over cooling sounds like a temperature control issue. This may also play a role in stripping a lot of water from your system. While I suggest data loggers to everyone who is a project humidor builder, it is sage advice that would likely serve you well here.

Best of luck on your project. -Piggy

Thanks -- this is helpful information. It has been very hot this season (I'm in NYC). I think I may move the Vinotemp to a different place in the house.

Move it away from an exterior wall and sunlight. While it is not my intention to comment on the subject of taste, I also find many people store their cigars at a cold temperature. They site beetles as the issue there. I refrigerate my cigars for consistency in the smoking experience and as a means to control humidity. I don't typically store them much below 70 DF. They range 68 to 70. Attempting to force a system to do what it is not designed to do simply emphasizes all the shortcomings of a system.

Good luck. -Piggy

These situations are not easy to diagnose with any certainty but generally they fit into one of a couple of categories and that is one of differential compensation or a control issue. Remember your refrigerated humidor is always battling your ambient conditions. If this year is especially damp, or hot and damp that is the root of your problem. Depending on what you are using as a water supply that too could be a problem. Air exchanges are another problem.

My refrigerated humidors currently are producing a lot of water too. We have had a very damp year. Mine do run a dry cycle which is helpful. The key is in the capture and reuse or isolation of the condensate. I am getting so much that I don't bother to rehydrate, I just collect and dispose.

Needless to say it is important to separate your cigars from the condensate. I have seen several people plug up their drain holes... A bad idea! I use a false back in my humidors to separate the cigars from the cooling coil and any water that has precipitated there.

I am working on some schemes to use both an active humidifier and active desiccant bead box. Since I have only been experimenting with the idea I don't feel like it is a good idea to pitch it as a solution until such time that I can determine that it is a real solution and just another way to over complicate a humidor.

The over cooling sounds like a temperature control issue. This may also play a role in stripping a lot of water from your system. While I suggest data loggers to everyone who is a project humidor builder, it is sage advice that would likely serve you well here.

Best of luck on your project. -Piggy

Hey Pigfish,

I noticed you said you are using a false back in your humidors. What material did you use? Plastic, wood, etc. I was contemplating putting one in mine for the same reasons you listed, but haven't seen anyone talk about it until now. Does the false back ever start to gather condensation?

Thanks, djanssentx

Hey Pigfish,

I noticed you said you are using a false back in your humidors. What material did you use? Plastic, wood, etc. I was contemplating putting one in mine for the same reasons you listed, but haven't seen anyone talk about it until now. Does the false back ever start to gather condensation?

Thanks, djanssentx

Here are some pictures that show me building a project climate controlled humidor. More questions just ask! -Piggy

Prepping the back of the appliance; adding studs to hang the back.

post-79-0-46330700-1312477153.jpg

Prepping the Spanish cedar to be planed to .375.

post-79-0-55968400-1312477213.jpg

Designing and fabricating back support struts.

post-79-0-46382100-1312477276.jpg

Assy' the back. Wood, plastic, metal.

post-79-0-81280500-1312477353.jpg

Fit'er up!

post-79-0-63457800-1312477411.jpg

Bunch of steps skipped... Fans added and wired ready to be hooked up. Two fans are for different purposes, while both for circulation.

post-79-0-60720700-1312477491.jpg

-Piggy

Piggy that is one nice setup I have a 28 bottle cooler when putting fans in how do you know where to drill your hole to plug them in so you will not hit anything of vital inportance thanks.

Curtis

Hey mate, I bumped a thread of mine, Rob posted it for me, about building an electric humidor. I have build a few since.

... answer, read the PDF file and be careful. This humidor, the one pictured above, actually has a 2" vent in it. Yes, I took a hole saw to it and put in a vent! There are is a lot of area that have no vitals, you just tread lightly and carefully when cutting and drilling.

I am betting that most of these compressor unit are built on the same platform. Figuring where to drill and where not to drill is a part of the tutorial. Best of luck mate. If you have other questions feel free to ask. -Ray