The Amicigar trip to Cuba

El Presidente

The Amicigar trip to Cuba

...by Punch Joe

The Habana-Habanos Simposium just finished a couple of weeks ago. Aside from the conferences and tasting panels, I had the chance to meet with friends one more time. And it's always good times.

I got a call early in the morning from Brother Gino Aniello from Italy, saying: I'm here and I want you to join the fun. That means sharing cigars, going to the farms, meeting the growers, drinking some wine and hang out with friends. My agenda was full those days, got to deal with some things at the office during the week so we chose Saturday morning to go visiting the growers. That let me little time for organizing the whole thing, but it is too late as I am already known as the rainmaker.

Gino is an enthusiast cigar lover, an active member of FOH and President of Amicigar Cigar Club.

Next morning I picked Gino and his friends Fernando and Peppe and we headed to Pinar on the chase of the growers. The two hours trip let us catching up on the latest events of our lives. Gino was kind of surprised to see the new checkpoints all along the road. With the new rise of Paladars, people sees an even bigger opportunity in supplying fish, shrimps and lobsters to the owners but trafficking with that merchandise is illegal. So is beef. If you get caught with beef steaks on the road, you would face up to 20 long years in prison. It's food, not drugs or weapons but that's the law.

After arriving Pinar del Rio City, we headed to the growing regions. First stop was Quemado de Rubi, Hector Luis Prieto's farm in the heart of San Juan y Martinez region. I jumped out of the car and opened the gates. There's nothing on the fields but the tobacco spirit lies all over and it can be sensed. Check out the pics.

Unfortunately Hector Luis wasn't there, but left Miguel in charge of the plantation. Miguel is the roller, coffee roaster, grower and cook all in one. Also a great host and friend. Miguel produced a few beautiful young cigars from his bench and served juice, water and coffee. Gino gifted Miguel with a plate of the Amicigar Club and shortly after Miguel gave us another round of coffee and another cigar. This one is not that fresh. Being rolled three weeks ago as I heard him say so. It was magnificent. I told him that I was like smoking the whole spirit of the farm, chicken **** included.

post-4-0-66369200-1312235846.jpg

post-4-0-36171300-1312235890.jpg

post-4-0-01146700-1312235923.jpg

We would have loved to spend the whole day at Hector's farm but we had an appointment lunch with Hirochi's and we needed to say hi to Pancho Cuba as well. Off to Pancho's then. Only 3 clicks away and running out of time, we reached La Ceniza farm. Pancho was taking a nap, the traditional siesta but we were lucky…he was about to wake up. And then, a great conversation started. We visited the curing barn where all the tobacco was resting in piles and being conditioned before making its way to the Sorting House. Pancho has a generous heart and was talking about the tobacco tradition with pride.

post-4-0-73559000-1312236063.jpg

post-4-0-16487000-1312236090.jpg

post-4-0-23351800-1312236138.jpg

In the meantime, Hirochi called me up to find out when we would arrive. As soon as we get the beers - I replied. Said and done, we passed by a little store in the middle of the road and surprisingly they had frozen beers. By the time we get to Robaina's , the table was almost set but we decide to continue smoking and having some beers before the meal.

Hirochi asked Ivan to bring some cigars and boy were they good. Only God knows what those were made of. They tasted like heaven. Hirochi admitted they were aged for some time blending leaves from old crops. He will do the same next year and the outcome should be unreal. Mine was so great that I was sorry by smoking it before lunch time. Food was fantastic. Crabs, shrimps, salad, pork, corn, plantains, rice and black beans. To top it off, Hirochi grabbed the mic and sung a couple of songs. He is performing at the night club in San Luis every Friday and Saturday nights now there's not much to do at the farm. He was hitting the notes as if he was auditioning for American Idol. He did it very well. We had a great day.

post-4-0-41451500-1312236287.jpg

post-4-0-16159500-1312236322.jpg

post-4-0-16224500-1312236379.jpg

post-4-0-64667900-1312236422.jpg

Having a smoke with Brother Hamlet the morning after at the Romeo y Julieta cigar shop was a must. It is part of the circuit for every cigar lover. Gino gifted Hamlet with a belt with a Cuban flag thus turning him into another official member the Amicigar fellowship. After the required cup o' coffee, I was hungry for a special stogie but I got a plain Corona instead from my buddy. Gino can't wait for the next trip and surely we will arrange something special for the Amicigar Club as the family we are. Cheers!

post-4-0-85430300-1312236489.jpg

post-4-0-01771100-1312236534.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing Jose, I hope to get down there and meet you sometime soon! Gino, it sounds like another great trip for you at the boys.

Thank you Josè for posting up such nice report, I did not writ up to know as we decided that you had to start it.

Of course guys it was without doubt a great time that I had in Cuba and having a host as Josè is the top you can ask. We really had fun all day long.

Anyhow I met Hector Luis on another day as I went again to Pinar with Simon Chase as he did a presentation of " Las Marcas Indipendientes" at the Institute of Tobacco in SJ Martinez. I also had the great chance to meet another hombre habanos Señor Medina.

The week passed very fast, there are so many things to do and to smoke :-) that you never have time to relax.

I could not believe that if you sell your own beef meat you go to Jail...this is Cuba nowadays despite all the talking of opening, new Cuba etc.etc. I saw a lot more poverty than my previous trips and the worst is taxi drivers continuously offering you " chicas" .

post-1436-0-68725400-1312383221.jpg

This was when I made a small presentation of Amicigar Club at the Simposio

post-1436-0-50769200-1312383292.jpg

With Hector Luis, Miguel and my Hermana living in London Magali.

post-1436-0-87101600-1312383508.jpg

With Simon and abuelo Medina

post-1436-0-18835400-1312383598.jpg

At H.Upmann factory ( ex RyJ )

Forgot to say that if like to listen to Hirochi singing just go on our Amicigar/You Tube channel.

Many other photos on www.amiciga.it/photogallery 2011