Purchased my first smoker today.

j0z3r

Hello friends.

I've been browsing some of the threads in this sub-forum and slobbering like a damn fool. So today I stopped at the Home Depot and picked up a Brinkmann Vertical Gas smoker. Did some research and this model is very well reviewed for being a cheapo model, and I figured the price was right for getting my feet wet.

Anyway, I've taken some time tonight to get it seasoned and may try my hand at smoking a chicken for dinner tomorrow. Wish me luck.

As a last bit, I have a question for the smokers. I've read that cleaning after use is a must, but that you don't want to really scrub it down. What do you guys recommend?

Joe

So I followed through and smoked a whole chicken this afternoon/evening. Since my smoker has a water tray (do all smokers have one?) I was not concerned about brining as I usually would be for a long, slow cook. Prepped it with an olive oil rub down and coated with a store bought rub, McCormick Applewood rub, also hit the cavity with some rub. After that, I shoved a can of Guinness up its ass, to the Guinness I added about a tablespoon of poultry seasoning. While I prepped the bird, my wood chips were getting their drink on...I soaked them for 20 minutes in a whiskey/water mix. Finally when I was ready to throw the bird in the smoker, I emptied the whiskey water into the water tray for the smoker, to which I added 5 cloves of garlic and 1/2 white onion, rough chopped. I threw the bird in for about 3.5 hours, wasn't paying attention to the time, just the temp, and it came out looking a little something like this...

C360_2011-07-0217-00-32-1.jpg

It was the juiciest, most flavorful chicken I've ever had. Guess I did ok for my first time. :spotlight:

Joe.

Looks great. :) I'm saving to hopefully buy a smoker/slow cooker for next summer. Hope to get my hands on a Kamado or Big Green Egg so I can do long overnight cooks of brisket and such..

Brisket sounds soooo good, I need to hone my chops a bit before tackling a brisket. Next up for me is probably a tri-tip or two followed by a pork shoulder. Once I get those done and they meet my standards, well then the brisket and I will talk. :)

Did a tri tip today. Kosher salt and pepper to season, smoked around 240 for roughly 2.5-3 hours (not keeping track again) to an internal of 180. Smoked with a mix of pecan and mesquite. Turned out great, tender and juicy with a great flavor. Sliced it thick, put on a hoagy roll and topped with cole slaw. Delicious. Didn't get any pics, it was gone too dang fast. :dollarsign:

I'm hooked, I think I'll be smoking once a week for the duration of summer and the fall.

Looks great. :lookaround: I'm saving to hopefully buy a smoker/slow cooker for next summer. Hope to get my hands on a Kamado or Big Green Egg so I can do long overnight cooks of brisket and such..

I have a BGE and LOVE IT! A slow-cooked Brisket is fantastic (don't forget to inject and marinade for at least 24 hours). I haven't tried a pork butt yet but that will be my next adventure.

Pork butt is rubbed, wrapped and resting. Can't wait to start this baby cooking in the morning.

Make sure you take some pics.

Will do, I'm excited to see how this goes. Any recommendations for a wood to smoke with? I'm thinking apple, but also have hickory and pecan.

Will do, I'm excited to see how this goes. Any recommendations for a wood to smoke with? I'm thinking apple, but also have hickory and pecan.

You can't go wrong with apple!

Pork butt is on the smoker with apple wood, estimated at 6 hours @ 225. Here's a before pic after spending about 16-18 hours in the fridge soaking up the rub. Will edit later with a pic of the finished product.

C360_2011-07-1610-27-41.jpg

And after. Now to pull this sucker and chow down.

C360_2011-07-1618-22-21.jpg

Let's eat!

C360_2011-07-1618-43-52.jpg

Looks great! What sauce did you serve it with?

I made a sauce that was essentially butter and apple cider vinegar, it was a recipe I pulled from the web. The pork had so much flavor, and I topped it up with cole slaw as well, it didn't even need a sauce.

Pork butt is on the smoker with apple wood, estimated at 6 hours @ 225. Here's a before pic after spending about 16-18 hours in the fridge soaking up the rub. Will edit later with a pic of the finished product.

C360_2011-07-1610-27-41.jpg

And after. Now to pull this sucker and chow down.

C360_2011-07-1618-22-21.jpg

Let's eat!

C360_2011-07-1618-43-52.jpg

YUMMYYYYYYYY...Not fair!! lol