JLP Cazadores, Conflicted

BobKincaid

So I was literally heading out to mow the yard and thought it would be a great moment for one of my JLP Cazadores. I've been mostly pleased with these sticks: nothing fancy, decent smoke quality, great burn, respectable draw.

So I reached into the humi and opened a new 5-pack and pulled one out. There it was, in the middle of the cigar, a perfectly round hole. I flipped. Got rid of that stick immediately and checked the other four from the pack. No holes. Turned out the empty box, and there he was, a tiny, disgusting little brown beetle.

I inspected the other two unopened five-packs and found no other evidence.

As such, my question: is it drastic measures time for my humi and my stash? Or was this likely a one-off? My humi stays consistently at 70/70, so I can't help wondering if maybe the little monster got loose in the long ride over.

I have to say I'm a little queasy about the JLPs now, sorta like the old gag that goes "What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Finding HALF a worm."

Thanks for any and all input!

Oh, and b-t-w: the yard is still waiting to be mowed. Priorities!

To paraphrase W.C. Fields: "That worm drove me to drink, a fact for which I'm eternally grateful."

*I would take the time to freeze it and take the necessary precautions for preserving the rest. All my cigars (MY HABANAS) are precious to me. If I didn't want it and mean to keep them, I wouldn't have made the purchase!! :dollarsign::lifepreserver:

70F just might be too warm? I maintain temp between 61-65F as recommended on the Habanos insert.

I like the guidelines on Trevor’s site:

"Tobacco beetles thrive in temperatures in excess of 18ºC / 65ºF. …

In the absence of storage conditions below 18ºC / 65ºF, consideration should be given to freezing newly received cigars. A conventional household freezer normally operates around -15ºC / +5ºF, so (wrapped / zip-locked) cigars should be stored for several days."

Trevor's link for Pests

Are you the guy from the Youtube video on another thread? :)

Although I am in a few videos on YouTube, I somehow doubt I'm in the one you're thinking of. If it has to do with tobacco beetles, I'm sure I'm not. :drool: