Converting Antique Chest to Humidor

Nocoins

I think I have seen some discussions of this, but I can't find them. Here goes --

I have an English blanket chest that probably has the capacity of an Aristocrat End Table. It's a nice looking tallish rectangular chest with a hinged lid, and all it currently does is hold up the lamp and basket in the foyer of my house. My wife won't put anything inside of it because it's old and there might have been dirt in there, you know?

So it's just sitting there and begging to be a humidor, and I think I have a better chance of converting this thing than getting an Aristocrat through the front (or back) door. It's clearly not airtight and there are some gaps in a few of the panels and joints. I'd probably not need any temp control and I'd use beads for humidity.

I have no woodworking experience, but it seems to be a good candidate for a project. Does anyone out there have any experience in these types of things? I can add pics if that would help. Thanks!

This project would be a major undertaking. I haven't seen the chest, and I'm not an experienced woodworker, but I've read about people doing this before. The biggest obstacle you would have to overcome though is making sure you get a good enough seal. I'd also think you would have to get somesort of plastic liner and some Spanish Cedar to line in the inside of the chest. Beads, if you can maintain a decent seal would be ideal in terms of regulating humidity. Good luck with this, and if you decide to undertake it, I'd love to see some before and after pics.

That is awesome. Wish I came across this site and thread before buying my end table humidor. That would be a fun project. But I am not so sure mine would look as good as yours!

Wonder if that would be a good business to start?

I say go for it. I love doing projects like this. Just be sure to think things through. Measure twice cut once. I would love to see pictures of start to finish if you are willing to share the progress. Good luck to you :lol: