Automatic Watch Winding

I know our hosts also are watch gurus and I'm sure some of our members here are as well. I have a single automatic watch that I barely wear. My question is, how often should I be winding it to keep it in good working condition? I've seen answers on the web between it doesn't have to be done to daily. :cigar: Appreciate the insight!

I'm no expert (there are a few of those on here) but I am of the thought that you should keep it wound and running as much as possible. Typically, the worst thing for any mechanical device is to sit idle for too long. They typically have some amount of oil that keeps the moving parts moving smoothly and I would imagine that sitting idle for very long (a year or so) would not be good and could lead to the movement sticking or seizing. Warren and Rob are both very knowledgable here and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to offer their expertise.

I have an Omega Seamaster but I wear mine constantly so I rarely have to wind it unless i take it off for any period of time. If I were to decide to stop wearing it daily, i would probably wind it and wear for a day or so every couple of weeks just as a caution.

Point taken regarding mechanical devices sitting idle for long periods, that makes clear sense. I should just start wearing it more often, but it doesn't quit fit with my day to day activities.

You know they have watch winders that are battery operated, or can plug into a wall. They basically rotate your watch and keep it wound. I believe they are fairly inexpensive for a single unit, if you don't get too fancy in terms of the case it is housed in. That is the route I would go.

I'm with Rogers: either wear it more often if possible, or I'd wind it every two or three weeks. I used to read the watchuseek forums on a regular basis, and that seems to be the consensus, although like you said, answers range from daily to once a month (very few "nevers"). I always wear a watch and have about 5 in rotation, so they all get their reasonable turn. I have one that rarely gets worn, but I make sure to either wear it once a month or give it a wind.

Rick

I feel as though I just opened the wrong forum, a watch question hey.

Well most Swiss automatics are also capable of being hand wound as well, Japanese movements such as Seiko are usually auto wind only meaning you have to pick them up and shake them like a martini.

Most modern watches use a new type of oil that is far less likely to drift away from the bearings if not used for long periods of time.

Older watches had a problem that if left idle for too long , the oil would become less effective .

Regardless of the age of the watch they should be serviced at least once every 5 years.

You can get a watch winder but I would only recommend that for watches that have complicated calendar movements that are hard to reset.

A simple three hand watch or even a chronograph doesn't need to be kept wound, just pick it up and wind it when you want to wear it.

Letting a watch sit for a few weeks or even a few months won't hurt it.

If you are storing it for longer periods then I would recommend having it serviced once you decide to use it again.

I keep mine in an automatic winder (plug-in type) whenever they're not being worn. Seems to have worked well for me for the past several years. The only watch I've needed to get serviced, ironically enough, is the one I wear most often (likely due to banging it on things from time to time, I've been told).