Going to a Whisky Festival!

Hey Everyone!

I'm headed to the Victoria Whisky Festival soon - i've been waiting for months for this! 1 hour-long masterclass with Jim Murray (the Whisky Bible author) to discuss Glenmorangie and Ardbeg, then 3 hours of Consumer Tasting madness of the world's best Single Malt, Blended Scotch, Rye, Bourbon, Irish and World Whisky....

The Big Question - what to smoke after 3 hours of Whisky?

I am leaning towards a Punch Petit Punch from a 1987 partial box I just got in, but I'm open to suggestions - what would you do, fellas?

Hey Everyone!

I'm headed to the Victoria Whisky Festival soon - i've been waiting for months for this! 1 hour-long masterclass with Jim Murray (the Whisky Bible author) to discuss Glenmorangie and Ardbeg, then 3 hours of Consumer Tasting madness of the world's best Single Malt, Blended Scotch, Rye, Bourbon, Irish and World Whisky....

The Big Question - what to smoke after 3 hours of Whisky?

I am leaning towards a Punch Petit Punch from a 1987 partial box I just got in, but I'm open to suggestions - what would you do, fellas?

I'd take a strong, deep cigar, such as a Sir Winston, Esplendido, Lancero, Lusitanaia, Serie de Connie No.1. Could also be an opportunity to break out something you might have been soaking for a while.

Have fun and please share anything you discover at the Festival

I'd take a strong, deep cigar, such as a Sir Winston, Esplendido, Lancero, Lusitanaia, Serie de Connie No.1. Could also be an opportunity to break out something you might have been soaking for a while.

Have fun and please share anything you discover at the Festival

This is kind of what I was thinking. After three hours of whisky, you are gonna need something big/bold enough to keep your tired palate going.

exactly.

here's hoping tomorrows selection will taste even better. :lol:

Gentlemen you make a good point.

I guess it depends on your "comprehension" level after three hours of Scotch. I would say if you are still coherent then by all means I stand by my suggestions, however if you have imbibed to excess I would take their suggestions, but not to their extreme. A Juan Lopez or Fonesca should suffice.

There have been many times I brought that extra special cigar and smoked it only to not be able to remember it after a hard night of drinking.

Either way enjoy!

Hey Fellas, thanks for the suggestions! I scoured the local B&M near the Festival for something good, but only found a fantastic oily RA Gorditos de Allones RE Canada, so I picked that up for another day (it was too awesome to try after all that whisky!) and took one of the aforementioned Punch Petit Punch 1987's I recently picked up. I don't know how much the drink affected my taste buds, all I know is - this might have been the best Punch Petit Punch I've ever had (never had a bad one yet!) - it was ridiculously good! Incredibly smooth, with a hint of the Punch sourness, but mainly focused on a cookie-like sweetness. A perfect end to my festival evening!

I will review one of these at a later date, when I can give it my full attention ;)

The Whisky Festival was marvelous - check out the website - the top has a rotating banner of photos that kind of sum up what it was like - http://www.victoriawhiskyfestival.com/

What did I try? I certainly lost count, and definitely had over a full bottle's worth over the day. From what I can remember...

Glenmorangie Original

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

Ardbeg 10 Yr.

Ardbeg Corryvrecken

Ardbeg Supernova 2010

Ardbeg Uigeadal

Glenrothes Select Reserve

Glenrothes 1994

Glenrothes 1998

Glenrothes 1985

Bruichladdich PC7

Bruichladdich Black Art

Bruichladdich Octomore

Bruichladdich Golder Still 21 Yr

Cooper's Choice Caol Ila 1981

The Ileach

The Ileach Cask Strength

Highland Park 12

Highland Park 15

Highland Park 18

Old Pulteney 17

Springbank 10

Compass Box Peat Monster

Compass Box Peat Monster Reserve

Johnnie Walker Green

Johnnie Walker Gold

Ancnoc 16

Compass Box Hedonism 19

William Grant's Family Reserve

Balblair 89

Stronachie 12

Bushmills 10

Bushmills 16

Crown Royal Black

Crown Royal XR

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Bourbon

Shelter Point (from Vancouver Island!)

***** Whisky from the Barrel

Some random Japanese 21 Yr old

And probably a couple more I can't remember specifically - the last half hour was a bit of blur, trying to taste what I could before closing time!

Holy Crap......41+ whiskies...this is the first time I've counted....each at least a shot...only spit out a few of them.....I may have a problem :P

The ones in bold are either favorites of mine (if Ardbeg doesn't make the finest Scotch in the world, I'll eat my hat) or were ones I really enjoyed trying. Gonna need to find more Bruichladdich........

Great Time!

After reading that line up, I'm surprised you were able to walk out of there on your own two feet.