What makes a Regional Edition a Regional Edition?

My Turrbo's question on what makes ELs ELs, which prompted Mr Piggy's impressive diatribe and Mr Brian's invaluable input in response, encourages me to emulate Turrbo's courage in seeking knowledge and understanding:

Please, what are "Regional Editions"?

Thank you, SG1234. From the link you posted, REs are...

"...special limited production cigars made exclusively for a regional market ... Each release is initiated by the Regional Distributor, who under-right [sic] the setup costs."

So, how do they do this? What's different about an RE? How does a Juan López Selección No.4 Edición Regional Asia Pacifico differ from the same cigar somewhere else?

So, how do they do this? What's different about an RE?

It is similar to the EL concept in that they are sizes not normally found in their respective lines - exclusive of the top brands as indicated on Trev's site.

As mentioned, the regional distributors pay the freight, and it's my understanding (there is definitely more info here somewhere) that they have some

say in size(s) and blend(s).

So one example would be the 2006 PCC Ramon Allones Estupendo - an RA in a churchill format not regularly produced in the RA line. My own feeling

again is that there is no implication of superior quality - simply something novel. There are good and not so good just like regular production.

As Brian relayed in the EL thread, the proliferation of REs has become like projectile vomit, and what luster there might have been has become tarnished,

at least to me.

Thank you, SG1234. From the link you posted, REs are...

"...special limited production cigars made exclusively for a regional market ... Each release is initiated by the Regional Distributor, who under-right [sic] the setup costs."

So, how do they do this? What's different about an RE? How does a Juan López Selección No.4 Edición Regional Asia Pacifico differ from the same cigar somewhere else?

The short answer is that the size in question is not a regular production size, and as such, is not available, except as a RE in it's given area. At least that is my understanding. Whether the REs use higher quality, or older tobacco I am not certain of.

Thanks Doc, Colt. So, in a nutshell: a marketing ploy. In a way, that's a relief. With such a full-court press apparently underway in the packaging and marketing of cigars (and with me sharing Mr Pigfish's disdain for same), it's good to be able to tell the smoke from the mirrors in this business.

So, in a nutshell: a marketing ploy.

Perhaps that's what they've become. I'd like to believe they started as a way for distributors to offer their customers something a little unique, and

maybe add a little spice to the industry. As mentioned, it's also a way to promote the lesser known brands, and of course to make a little money.

Money has been an issue, at least for me. These releases have commanded quite a premium, though the recent PCC Celestiales Finos came in at a

more reasonable point. I admit to having an interest in the upcoming PCC PL Encantos, as I'm a fan of the dalia. But I'm willing to wait and get a

consensus as to their quality, and what they will cost. If in the end I end up not jumping on board, I won't feel as if I've missed out on anything.

I just tried a RE a couple of weeks ago and I was not impressed at all, It was a Juan Lopez. I'm starting to lean towards Piggy's theory. However I must say that I'm also leaning to the notion that the EL's turned bad, but had good intentions to start with. Where as the RE was launched based off of the success of the EL in the later years.

This EL and RE bit is quite interesting to say the least.

Doc, as per your thought, no, from what I've read and understand of everything with the RE's, no they do not use higher quality or older tobaccos.

Also, besides the aged tobacco thing, and worldwide-availability (versus just one regional market), as separating points between the EL and the RE program, there's one other major difference too. The RE program excludes using the top five (I believe that's right) marcas on the worldwide market. So, no Cohiba or Montecristo RE's - those brands only have special formats available in the EL lineups.

The RE program excludes using the top five (I believe that's right) marcas on the worldwide market. So, no Cohiba or Montecristo RE's - those brands only have special formats available in the EL lineups.

If they stick to this, and the RE cigars are accurate examples of the marca they are branded with, then I actually quite like this, in theory. Something cool about special cigars being released under less well known brandings, most of which have rather small lines (Ramon Allones comes to mind... 3 regular sizes... 500 RE sizes.)

:....

Courage! What makes a King out of a slave?

Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave?

Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk, in the misty mist or the dusky dusk?

What makes the muskrat guard his musk?

Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder?

Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder?

Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot?

What have they got that I ain't got?

Courage!

... "

:lol3: :lol3:

Regionals

* Allow distributors to offer something unique to their retailer and consumer newtwork.

* Allow expansion of product line outside of the top selling Marques

* Allows market testing for future mainstream releases.

* minimum order is 25000 units.

Unfortunately

* Not enough input from the distributors on the blend. Far too many choose a marque/size/packaging and let Habanos do the rest. No passion in....no passion out. Distributors should be there ath the tasting for the final blend and again to supervize the first days roll.

* Too many are produced. There are regionals for countries/regions I have not known had a Habanos Distributor (who are doing huge numbers :lol3: ). 25000-100,000 cigars would to me be a sensible production run. 200,000 + is ridiculous.

* Once a regional size has been produced for one region (RA Beli) it should be on a "banned from regional or LE production for 10 years". You can't do the same cigar again for another distributor two years later!

* Construction consistency is all over the place. Distributors need to be more involved. They are underwriting the venture so get a few bums in the factories on rolling days. Watch the improvement in construction.