Mold

CigarB

Hi Guys,

I opened my humidor this morning and noticed for the first time some white fuzzy mold on the compartment that holds my humidification device (Cedar housing with open slats, humidifier is inside). My humidity is pretty solid, usually between 66-68% and the temperature 65-67F.

1) What could be the cause? I use only distilled water and the humidity/temp never get out of range (electronic hygrometer salt tested). I did some other research and have read that it could be that because this housing is so closer to the humidifier that it is trapping moisture and producing the mold?

2) Should I just wipe down this housing with alcohol, or do something else to make sure it doesn't spread?

All my cigars look fine, and I'm sure I caught it quickly because I'm always in my humidor :perfect10: Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Myself, I'd simply wipe away the mold. More importantly, I'd carefully check my humidifier for signs of mold. Is your humidifier the foam type?

If so, you might consider using a PG solution to help reduce the possibility of mold. Or better yet, switch to humidity beads or similar.

Myself, I'd simply wipe away the mold. More importantly, I'd carefully check my humidifier for signs of mold. Is your humidifier the foam type?

If so, you might consider using a PG solution to help reduce the possibility of mold. Or better yet, switch to humidity beads or similar.

I second the reccomendation. The first desktop that I owned came with a foam type humidifier, and the chap at the local B&M where I bought it told me to use a PG solution to avoid this type of issue. After a couple of months, however I tossed the foam device and switched to beads and have never had a problem with them.

I do have the foam and have been using a PG/distilled mix. However, my ratio could require more PG. I've heeded the advice of ordering beads. Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Some PG bottles are already a solution of PG and distilled water. If not then the usual mix is 50/50.

Hope it all works out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found my first mold issue. I have a vinotemp with mostly CC, and a few Opus X. Temp is 65; RH 70%. Today I found several of my Opus X with mold. Cohibas right next to them had nothing.

Seems curious. Anyone have any thoughts other than quit smoking anything but CCs (I already thought of that one myself).

• 1 month later...
I do have the foam and have been using a PG/distilled mix. However, my ratio could require more PG. I've heeded the advice of ordering beads. Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

I've been struggling with a mold problem myself. I'm not sure how it started, but I suspect it came in with one of the loose sticks I bought. I did a gentle wipe with alcohol of every drawer in which there was mold, and removed the sticks that weren't wrapped in cellophane. Unfortunately, I've still found a few white spots of mold even inside a couple of cello-wrapped sticks.

I'm worried that once you have mold spores introduced into your humidor, you just can't get rid of them. But it may depend on the type of mold, so I'm really unsure.

My plan, at this point, is to put all my new sticks into a new humidor, and eventually trash the one I'm using now.

Please let us know if switching to the beads solves the problem.

Best,

Pete

I've been struggling with a mold problem myself. I'm not sure how it started, but I suspect it came in with one of the loose sticks I bought. I did a gentle wipe with alcohol of every drawer in which there was mold, and removed the sticks that weren't wrapped in cellophane. Unfortunately, I've still found a few white spots of mold even inside a couple of cello-wrapped sticks.

I'm worried that once you have mold spores introduced into your humidor, you just can't get rid of them. But it may depend on the type of mold, so I'm really unsure.

My plan, at this point, is to put all my new sticks into a new humidor, and eventually trash the one I'm using now.

Please let us know if switching to the beads solves the problem.

Best,

Pete

• 1 month later...

Good call with the beads. The foam humidifiers are crap...Had a cigar Oasis and hated it...Just use distilled water with beads. As for the mold, wipe down the humidor with alcohol and that should do the trick. You could freeze the cigars for a couple days to kill any mold after you wipe them off...

I didn't have mold but my humidifiers stank! I tossed them. It seesm they were the foam type. I only used distilled water without any PG. I switched to beads since and it works beautifully. I did have to give up a little bit of space but its worth it.