london house

this comes from another thread where we were discussing living in london.

when i was there, i lived at a brilliant place called london house - at mecklenberg square, very close to russell square.

wondering if anyone else on the forum might have lived or stayed there while in london?

No but I understand that Jimmy Hendricks lived and died just across the road.

i think we have discussed that. not certain if it was where he died but from my corner room, i could look down into his apartment. had the design of the keys of a piano across the carpet.

and to the idiot whose post has been deleted (yes, you know who you are), remember that you live in an extremely fragile glass house - i don't - and you do not want to start that sort of game. i have photos and you have to sleep sometime.

you are back on jam jars for today's vid.

this comes from another thread where we were discussing living in london.

when i was there, i lived at a brilliant place called london house - at mecklenberg square, very close to russell square.

wondering if anyone else on the forum might have lived or stayed there while in london?

Is it serviced accommodation? In a great location though except if you have to take the never ending stairs at Russell Square tube. I used to stop nearby as I did a course at SOAS and also used to work not a million miles away in Holborn. Love that part of town, need to get a flat there one day.

Is it serviced accommodation? In a great location though except if you have to take the never ending stairs at Russell Square tube. I used to stop nearby as I did a course at SOAS and also used to work not a million miles away in Holborn. Love that part of town, need to get a flat there one day.

not really serviced as such.

i believe it was set up by churchill and others post WW1 as a thank you to the commonwealth, by providing accomodation for students when in london (was wonderfully cheap when i was there 20 years ago, or so - 40 pounds a week and i had a double room, though there were few of those, with a balcony the size of half a tennis court over looking st pauls). had its own bar, gym etc etc. commonwealth was extended to americans and then to all foreign students over time. so a wonderful atmosphere. though definitely still a bit of the "old britain" and old school tie - all sorts of places contributed so the albert hall gave a box, lords gave permanent tickets, so too wimbledon and twickenham and so on. these tended to be allocated by those in charge to the aussies, canadians etc first, as apparently we were seen to be most like the brits. americans were seen as next rung as they were not commonwealth, then came other europeans and then asians and africans. which was all very bizarre as in the couple of years i was there, never saw a hint of that sort of attitude from anyone staying there - just lower management. and coming from australia, it seemed ridiculous to me, not that i didn't grab every ticket possible.

i remember one day on the cricket field, i looked around and realised i was the only white bloke on either team and no one gave a toss. i'd like to think all that has changed now and i should not be critical as otherwise, it really was a wonderful place.

someone had given them an estate in scotland which was magnificent. for ten quid a day, one could book in and fish, ride horses, visit the distilleries (or stay in and visit the different malts next to the fireplace), play crocquot (sp?), tennis etc etc. rooms were massive and the bathtubs swimming pools. i could lie full length and not touch either end. only issue was when one idiot mate managed to set off the alarms at balmoral castle. totally innocent mistake.

and if one learnt the system, one had all sorts of priveleges. i ran the cricket, rugby and the box at the albert hall (hence the large corner room as a reward). this also meant that every weekend i had use of a car hired by the house and not surprisingly, my name and that of my mates seem to come out in the draw for seats in the box almost every event, for two years.

i do miss that place.

mecklenburgh square separated us from william goodenough house (seriously), which was the women's 1/4s.

we were about 60 seconds from the lamb and the sun, for anyone that knows the area.

That's a great part of London,Ken.

I still has the feel of old London,and the house prices to suit.

Hendrix' house is next to where Handel lived,and there is a

museum there now.

John soans house museum is round there,and the British museum.

I don't know London house in particular,but do like that area alot.

I was there 98-99 whilst at kings college London uni (LLM)

One of the best years of my life - unbelievably good fun

i was kings college LLM as well.

london house was a hell of a lot more fun than the studying but i would recommend it to anyone.

i was kings college LLM as well.

london house was a hell of a lot more fun than the studying but i would recommend it to anyone.

Exactly. Best residence for studying in London without a doubt. Many stories - all of which shall remain confidential.