Christmas 2010 Cigar Review - Vegas Robaina Unicos 07/08

Having taken Rob's announcement of this Christmas Contest quite literally (where he asked to know what was happening in each of our necks of the WOODS)........I pulled out this VR Unicos that I received in trade from a forum member and went out into the woods for a nice hike and smoke! Please forgive my tiny photos - it was the best my terrible cell phone could generate!

Vegas Robaina Unicos

Vintage - 2007/2008 (didn't get the specifics)

Appearance - Dark, Oily... in other words, perfect! A good weight in the hand, this cigar feels firm but certainly not plugged. The aroma is of deep earth

Pre-light Draw - Nearly effortless, with an earthy taste and subtle sweetness. I get a hint that I'm in for a treat!

Initial Puffs - Holy Pepper, Batman! This is a powderkeg, loaded with peppery spice right from the very first draw. I am nearly knocked from the forest path as I light this cigar up!

First Third - The strong Pepper Spice remains active, but gradually recedes as I smoke through the first third. As the flood of pepper recedes, I am met with a plethora of flavours, from delightful baking spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, a hint of baker's chocolate, and above all a wonderful tanned leather that I enjoy. The draw remains just a tad south of perfect, and the burn is near razor-sharp. Very enjoyable thus far!

Middle Third - I feel like a work in a tannery, the leather is now the dominant flavour in this Unicos and I don't mind a bit! The earthy tones are starting to make themselves feel known - I notice more wet earth with every few puffs. A raw Cocoa (almost like a dusty cocoa taste) is also present, and certainly compliments the cigar. The burn starts to stray a little bit, but the draw is consistent to the point where I don't notice otherwise.

Final Third - One of those cigars you just don't want to end! The Unicos is pleasing to the last, as a muted return of the pepper spice melds perfectly with the leather overtone, and I am enthralled to the point where I am consciously trying to determine how to smoke this to the very last moment before my fingers burn. That's always a great sign! The fact that the pepper is muted on the finale, rather than punchy-in-my-face like other cigars finish off is a welcome change.

Overall Impressions and notes - This was just excellent. A tasty flavour profile once the pepper died down a little, and perfect compliment to a great walk in the forest. I would certainly be keen to pick up a box of HQ sticks in the future, this really made an impact upon me. Vegas Robaina is a marca that I've never really 'got', could never entirely figure out what it was trying to do. If this Unicos is any example as to the marca as a whole, then I really need to spend some more time with VRs! One funny note - as I walked along the forest path, I had to double back once, and on walking back, I ran into a couple of ladies walking. I said hello as they exclaimed "oh, here's where the cigar smell is coming from!". I winced internally, ready for the inevitable cigar-smoking-in-public complaints that I sometimes hear out here. I was pleasantly surprised when instead they said "We've been smelling it for a while, it's very nice! What are you smoking?" I told them it was a VR Unicos and thanked them for the pleasantries, I was totally blown away! I guess there are some who don't mind a guy with a cigar in the park! I barely noticed half an hour later when some other guy I passed made a rude comment about how my cigar was "Not good for the path" as I passed him. Those two ladies made my afternoon!

Final Score - 91, and this cigar totally earned it. VR Unicos is a surefire winner in my book!

Pictures - you'll have to forgive the tiny pics I have - it is the best my lousy cell phone could muster!

post-5835-1293904700.jpeg

post-5835-1293904706.jpg

I said hello as they exclaimed "oh, here's where the cigar smell is coming from!". I winced internally, ready for the inevitable cigar-smoking-in-public complaints that I sometimes hear out here. I was pleasantly surprised when instead they said "We've been smelling it for a while, it's very nice! What are you smoking?" I told them it was a VR Unicos and thanked them for the pleasantries, I was totally blown away! I guess there are some who don't mind a guy with a cigar in the park! I barely noticed half an hour later when some other guy I passed made a rude comment about how my cigar was "Not good for the path" as I passed him. Those two ladies made my afternoon!

I think those two ladies understood people go for a walk up the path to enjoy themselves.

Great review and after reading it im contemplating grabbing a box from Czar.

After reading this review I couldn't resist. That cigar (I'm pretty sure at least) came from my Humidor on a trade for some great 03 Sir Winnies. I had been working my way through a different box that was a bit older but had been somewhat hit and miss, with some underfilling. That cigar was the "sacrifical virgin" from this box which has absolutely stunning dark oily wrappers and the box code was USE ENE 09 (sorry no pics!)

Chris's review is pretty much spot on. Construction and draw were both perfect. The draw had just enough resitance to it but still produced a ton of smoke. The blast of pepper at the begining was strong to say the least, but it didn't last much into the first third. Then it was replaced by a leather and earthiness which I find typical of VR's. But then the hints of the dusty coco came in and made it absolutely delicious. The leather in this wasn't as strong as the original review but still a fantastic smoke. My smoking conditions weren't as ideal (-20* under a few heaters in the garage so I imaging that detracted a bit from the experience.

Definately going to try and let these sit for another year and continue to work my way through the other box I have. Wow, what a smoke. An easy 90 / 91 when a ton of potential. Very interesting to see two different prespectives on the same cigar from the same box, expecially when they are this good.

My first smoke of 2011 and wow, what a way to start.

Garrett