Little help picking a rifle

I'm looking to get a lever action rifle, got it narrowed down to two a Henry 44mag.

or a Marlin 1894 44mag.

I'm leaning more towards the Henry. It's cost a little more but it's assembled here in NJ from

American made parts.

Heres a few links

Henry http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ce...Y_SEQ_105526080

Marlin 1894 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ce...Y_SEQ_105526080

Is there anyone that knows these rifle and can give a little advise ?

Thank Dave

haven't shot the Henry, but I have shot the Marlin. I found it to be very nice. Well balanced, good sights. Was shooting 50-100 yards on the iron sights, and it was surprisingly accurate.

Happy hunting! Can't imagine you'd go wrong with whatever choice you make.

I own a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 and I love it. Marlin makes extremely strong actions...in fact the Guide Gun and Ruger One are the only actions that can handle Garret +P ammo without blowing up...literally. With that said this really doesn't apply to the .44 mag. The other upside to the Marlin is the fact that the action is not an open top like a Winchester...stuff can fall in the action in the field...dirt, pine needles,snow...and it's slot easier to mount a scope.

However, I heard the Marlin action on that particular model...1894 in .44 mag...has cycling issues with certain loads and bullets. Apparently the feeding problems will limit you on what you'll be able to use...given that I think I would look elsewhere...and I like Marlins.

I don't know anything about Henry rifles.

Good luck on your search,

Mike.

I've had a Marlin 1894 for about 10 years now and have never had any problems with it at all. It's very well built, shoots great and has never had trouble loading any amo I put in it.

That's reassuring! I'm a fan of Marlin's and I was thinking of a .44 Mag rifle myself. Hmmmm...think I gotta get a 1911 first though...and I want a pre1973 Ruger SuperBlackhawk. Hopefully an expert of Ken's caliber could make a suggestion...

What will you be using it for? How stuck are you on the .44mag caliber? I have a good deal of experience with Marlin 30-30 Lever action and some Marlin rimfire bolts actions and have always been pleased with them. No experience with Henry rifles though. Personally, If i were looking for a new lever-gun, I would go with a Browning Lever-Action Rifle (BLR) and it get it in a caliber that is more accurate and cheaper ammo cost than the .44mag.

Thanks for all replys, seems like a marlin is the way to go.

I'll mainly be target shooting with some hunting. I wanted something hard hitting for home defence.

Thought about a hand gun, but I have trouble hitting anything with them.

I'm real accurate with a rifle and deadly with a bow.

FWIW, I'd go with a shotgun for this...

+100

Although I do not know your home situation for defense purposes the Marlin is not a great solution. In a home defense situation you have to be mindful of where the bullet goes once you pull the trigger. With a .44, if your shot is on target it will probably pass through and end up someplace else. If you have kids in the house that becomes more important.

A shotgun is IMO the best home defense solution. I load mine with #6 shot for the first couple of rounds, and 00 buckshot for the next couple. The pellets will stop the bad guy and should not penetrate the walls if I miss.

I pray that neither you, nor I ever have to deal with this but it's wise to be prepared.