OMG Aussies (Ashes Cricket)

Great Christmas present after Perth, especially the Mr Cricket wicket.

This is Geoffrey Boycott's view that I get every Ashes morning by e-mail:

Fourth Test, day one, Melbourne. England (157/0) lead Australia (98) by 59 runs

BOYCOTT'S VIEW

What an amazing turnaround after Perth. Many of the Australian players trash-talked England after winning the last Test but then went and shot themselves in the foot with a very poor batting performance.

Yes, there was a bit of movement off the seam. The ball nibbled about a little bit, but not alarmingly. It was a slow, English-style seamers’ pitch, but nothing that a batsman with good technique could not have played through and scored steadily on.

England bowled beautifully, pitching the ball up, kissing the top and just moving the ball enough to get the nicks. The Australian batting, meanwhile, was pathetic.

Ricky Ponting got a very good ball that bounced on him but most of the others played loose, sloppy shots. Shane Watson played forward before the ball was delivered and it bounced on him. Phillip Hughes flashed at a wide ball. Mike Hussey was driving on the up. Michael Clarke played a tentative poke outside off stump away from his body.

If Steve Smith is a number six, I’ll eat my hat. Brad Haddin attempted an extravagant cover drive that I wouldn’t have played if I'd been on 200.

What do you expect if you bat like that?

A bit of sunshine, another roller and the pitch hardly did anything, so England took full advantage. Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss have looked in no trouble at all. With Australia playing four seamers, they never looked threatening.

I was there too. Pretty feeble display by Australia. We never looked like taking a wicket. While England is clearly a better team, I don't think they're that much better. Wouldn't be surprised if we squared the series in Sydney (but I wouldn't put my money on it).

In the words of a mate of mine, shattered after day one yesterday: it's our turn to suck.