Jar Storage

I've started collecting some jars, and one thing I notice is the humidifier is horrible. So, to those of you who have jars, do you store your cigars outside of the jar in a cooler/humidor etc, or do you leave them in the jar with a different humidifier? How do you go about storing these?

I was faced with a similar problem when I first got my partagas jar. Had a puckafier setting around, which I've chucked into the jar without charging and this seemed to do the trick. You don't need to stick to the puck, any container containing some beads would work.

I opened the humidifier and replaced the green foam with 65% humidity beads. I also put a round digital hygrometer on top of the cedar sheet which is top of the cigars to check the humidity. This is working great for my Partagas Serie P No. 1 which is the only jar I own.

If Jar ( ceramic ) is well sealed they do not need any but to stay in room temperature. I have no problems at all .

*I just have one of those leather bound, cedar lined, barrel tom toms that contained Ramon Allones Gigantes. It has a teeney little green sponge type humidifier that attaches to velcro in the lid. Ehh-- works ok.

I'm looking to get a couple of jars when I go down to Cuba next month. Depending on the quality of the humidifier that's in these (which I suspect is nothing special, just the green foam), then I'll just be putting these in my cabinet humidor. Some jars, for more long-term aging, will be going into my bigger cooler-dor. But, one from each variety I get (planning on getting at least two each of the P1 and the LGC RE Cuba) will be taking front-and-center stage in my cabinet by the door's glass window.

I don't trust the humidifier elements from these things. For me, and the long term sustainability of these, I prefer to keep them in an already humidified environment of my cabinet or humidor.

But, for those who are looking to store them on display, I'd definitely agree to switch out the humidifier element with a Puckifier or some beads.

The other thing was that I read storing them in the jar for aging is different than box storage, so I didn't want to break that aging method. Further, without the jar, I don't have a box so right now they're just chilling in a ziplock bag inside my cooler.

In a jar is just supposed to be awesome for aging, similar to the varnished boxes - things really are retained better in the jars, with regards to the oils and air, so that they apparently are much better for the long-haul.

I myself wouldn't really like to put tubes in there. I'd go for the Puckifier instead, something to duplicate that top-down humidifier element.

I was thinking about getting one of these, http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddet...p?prod=HT_05_65, since I have the room after smoking a few!

opinions?

*Hey, this is a pretty good site! I HAVE been listening to everyone's liking of humidity beads! Think I'll check this out. Thanks, DGuterman! :)

In a jar is just supposed to be awesome for aging, similar to the varnished boxes - things really are retained better in the jars, with regards to the oils and air, so that they apparently are much better for the long-haul.

I myself wouldn't really like to put tubes in there. I'd go for the Puckifier instead, something to duplicate that top-down humidifier element.

Hey Canuck, can you link me to the humidifer you're talking about, I'm going to order it tonight.

The Jars have a pretty good seal so don't overmoisten the foam humidifier which comes with them or you will get a perfect environment for mold. Beads are the way to go but just a few drops of demineralized water is all you need.

The Jars have a pretty good seal so don't overmoisten the foam humidifier which comes with them or you will get a perfect environment for mold. Beads are the way to go but just a few drops of demineralized water is all you need.

Yes, good advice too.

By the way, aren't you supposed to be on vacation / Christmas shutdown right now?!?!?! Or did you just want to sneak on here to hit your 14k post??? :D:no:

Yes, good advice too.

By the way, aren't you supposed to be on vacation / Christmas shutdown right now?!?!?! Or did you just want to sneak on here to hit your 14k post??? :P:D

I was hoping to get away with the family to the beach but the beaches are closed and the weather woeful :no:

I will use the rest of this week to plan for 2011 and take a few days off next week.

Ive used a jar about 15 yrs ago. I found the humidity held fine but over time i found that the cigars standing on end would have ill effects on the integrity of the sticks. My advise is get a cooler. You cant go wrong. I have beautiful humidors but the coolidoor is where I keep anything I care about. Hope this helps.

I store jars in my cooler, I'd store it in a cabinet humidor if I had one. Both should be fine. If you want to display the jar with cigars in it, I'd go for a Boveda Pack.