Minneapolis: More study on tobacconists' rule

Minneapolis: More study on tobacconists' rule

Minneapolis regulators say a tobacco-sampling exemption in state law wasn't intended to create smoking lounges. But they deferred curbs, for now.

By STEVE BRANDT, Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/local/111011154...D3aPc:i_kchO7DU

How much of a cigar should a connoisseur be able to test in a tobacco shop?

That question hung in the air Monday, one of the issues discussed as a proposal to curb tobacco sampling in Minneapolis got a hearing at City Hall. In the end, a City Council committee postponed action so the plan could get some fine-tuning.

The 2007 state law that outlawed smoking in virtually all indoor public places and workplaces contained an exemption for tobacconists. It allows customers to light up to sample products in shops that get 90 percent or more of their revenue from tobacco products or smoking-related items.

City staffers have found that that's been pushed far beyond the intended meaning, with the establishment of ****** lounges, employees taking smoke breaks inside, and entire cigars or cigarettes being sampled, said City Council Member Elizabeth Glidden.

But a staff proposal to prohibit sampling drew some articulate pushback Monday.

Thomas Harlan, proprietor for 25 years of an Uptown tobacco shop, waxed about family memories of cigars and tobacco while pressing the matter as one of civil liberties. Then he cited economics, arguing that the ability to sample before purchasing is one advantage he offers over dealers selling online.

Harlan presented Glidden's committee with a petition that he said bore the signatures of 800-plus customers, more than 300 of them from outside the city. Shane Wendt of Arden Hills was one. He said his cigar-smoking friends from across the metro area gather at Harlan's Golden Leaf shop to sample and buy before heading out to Uptown restaurants, importing their purchasing power to help the city.

People like Harlan have advanced an alternative proposal that Grant Wilson, acting deputy director for the city's licensing arm, suggested warrants further study. The panel ultimately opted to further explore the matter despite concern from University of Minnesota-area Council Member Cam Gordon about a potential proliferation of ****** lounges, where tobacco is smoked through a water pipe.

Attorney Nancy Hylden, who represents Harlan, said the alternative proposal is designed to allow sampling while tightening the smoking behavior that's given rise to city concerns. Wilson said he hopes to analyze the proposal quickly.

The initial proposal was tacked onto a noncontroversial measure to make city ordinances conform to a 2010 state law that tries to further limit youth access to tobacco and products containing it, with stiffer penalties for violations. The City Council's Regulatory Energy and Environment Committee advanced that measure to the Dec. 10 council meeting.

St. Paul last summer imposed a moratorium on new tobacco shops while it studies whether a new type of licensing is needed for ****** lounges, which claim they meet the sampling crite

I wish the American public could understand the idea of what I like to call "They're coming to get you next".

My wife would always give me a smug grin or laugh when reading or hearing about some new law/ordinance that limited my ability to smoke in public. Recently, while watching TV together a headline shot across saying that they had banned toys in Happy Meals in parts of the state. Well, my wife was just appauled by this. She said the Government had overstepped their bounds,and they had no business telling companies what they could put in their meals.

Once I regained composer, from laughing at her, I explained, "they're coming to get you next". This is the same damn type of law/rule as the smoking ordinance. It's okay as long you agree with what they are trying to control? But, if is something you are not okay with, the ruling is no longer fair?

The Government will continue to chip away at our rights. And, as long as they have us divided and apatheic they will win. Just you wait and see "They're coming to get you next".

My city has a similar law although it seems to only apply to the only local B&M. They allow for one hour of smoking time per week per customer. It's really kind of a shame because the times I have been there for a smoke was quite enjoyable, meeting some new cigar smokers.

I understand the prediciment that law makers face while trying to curb cigarette smoking but from a legislative stand point it would appear extremely difficult not to lump cigar smokers into the same catagory. But its damn frustrating to say the least.

G

Obviously more political commentary that I should stay away from! When did government change from reactive to proactive?

It is simple and if any of you would like a simple axiom here it is. Whatever government ***** with, it ***** up! Look at any system or branch of government and if it is not fully ****ed up it is on its way to becoming fully ****ed up... Find an example were I am wrong and I'll smoke a Behike! -Piggy

Thanks for sharing. I'm in Minneapolis and have been a customer of Golden Leaf for sometime; good group of guys and passionate cigar enthusiasts. I enjoy going there in the winter times with a good read, coffee and a smoke. It would be a tragedy if they were to ban lighting up in these stores. This anti-smoking thing has moved into the absurd. I'm glad it's been delayed. I better go while I can!

Hello Fellow FOHer's,

Gosh, I didn't realize there were other members from the Twin Cities on the FOH forum!

Minneapolis is always the vanguard of the politically correct. :( It is enough to upset one's digestion.... :potty:

Thank you for sharing this with us Prez,

Curtiss

I'm kind of surprised, too. Between myself and you two, and another fellow I met on here, we could have our own miniature FOH meetup! Preferably not during the winter, though.

We should plan on a Twin Cities FOH smoker this coming spring. ---Sam

• 2 weeks later...

The state of Nebraska has one of the greatest indoor smoking laws ever. You cannot smoke but in your home, special permitted venues, cigar bars, & tobacco stores. Tobacco stores can only sell tobacco and tobacco related accessories (Cannot sell food or beverage). Cigar bars are bars permitted to allow smoking, must have a walk-in humidor, tobacco sales must meet a certain percentage of the business's income, cannot serve food, & AND PROHIBIT CIGARETTE SMOKING. (When I could smoke a cigar in any ole bar the people who gave me **** about it the most were cigarette smokers.)

Lincoln, Nebraska, however, has an indoor smoking law already in the books that grandfathered the state ban. One of the glaring extras is that you cannot smoke in a cigar store. (Although they do allow the cigar bar exemption for bars.)

Well the Brick & Mortar that I go to just so happens to be in Lincoln, Nebraska. I smoke inside it all the time. They also sell candy and soda. :rolleyes:

Nebraska also has an old Prohibition Era law that you cannot mix beer with hard alcohol.

I live in Minneapolis as well.

Interesting to note that for the last couple of years it has been illegal to smoke in public parks and golf courses here. They have signs posted warning would-be smokers about this new criminal activity. Who would have thought –even just a few years ago– that to smoke outside would be a crime? Second-hand smoke? Bad influence? I just don't get it.