Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas Extra

sosamscott

I just picked up a box of RG Panetelas Extra

CODE: (TC) STA ENE*10

Although they are TC they are quite nice IMO... especially for under $2 a stick. Yes the construction is well, a bit ruff, but they are sweet and with an on and off floral hint and a bit of coffee. Have only had one so far with a tight draw but it opened up after the first 1/3. I know some would rather get 5 great smokes than a box of lesser ones. But I think there is a time and place for everything, and unexpectedly I think these will find plenty of times where they hit the spot.

5189871359_7522ec398c.jpg

5189873703_2ce88eb214.jpg

Rafael Gonzalez marca kicks ass period. Have a box of the PE's as well. Good flavor and price point leaves no guilt if I have to pitch it.

interesting statement on the box "smoke within one month or after one year", does everyone agree?

for my part i've noticed a lot of younger cigars smoking well then "going to sleep" for 6months or more (sometimes 3 years lol)... but within one month only and after one full year?

interesting statement on the box "smoke within one month or after one year", does everyone agree?

for my part i've noticed a lot of younger cigars smoking well then "going to sleep" for 6months or more (sometimes 3 years lol)... but within one month only and after one full year?

That statement has been on the RG boxes for eons.

Some people agree with it, and some don't - it all comes down to personal preferences and tastes. What the statement refers to essentially is the "sick period" with cigars, and how they may be great initially / off-the-bench, but then they may go into a sick period and need resting for upwards of a year. Some may improve with only 6 months on them, but hey, give it up to a year and they should be okay. That's generally the thinking, IMO.

I myself haven't shied away from trying a cigar with only 6 months on it, but I generally don't like to touch things with less than that, unless they are truely fresh off-the-bench. I'll sample one out of a box generally at 6 months maybe, but for sure at 1 year, and so on, every six months until I hit a spot when the cigar is in it's stride. Then, I'll smoke one from that particular box every month or so. And, they either get really good and go into full rotation, or they go into a sleep period where they're just "there/blah", and I'll let them sit another 6 months to a year. Doing it this way, I get to realize the nice profiles of most with right around 2 years to 4 years of age on them. And I'm always making sure to save a few singles, to see what they do down the line, for sampling at 5, 7, and 10 years (haven't hit that 10-year point with most yet, since I only recently got heavy/serious back into cigars in 2004/2005 or so. Only with a few seriously aged cigars that I bought that way to begin with, rather than from fresh full boxes).

I too just picked up a box and have smoked about 5 of them already. 3 out of the 5 were really tight and somewhat annoying but then I thought about how much they were and it was all good. The other 2 that were just right were enjoyable. This is definitely a morning traffic cigar and will probably order another box in the near future. IMO the construction of these cigars are mediocre but like I said, the price is what you get and is good smoke for $2.

As mentioned these are good cigars for the $$ if you get a box that dosen't have any draw issues. The last box of them I purchased, about 2/3 of them had very tight draw. I'm willing to give them another try as I like the RG line, but not until I hear that draw issues are no longer a problem.

As mentioned these are good cigars for the $$ if you get a box that dosen't have any draw issues. The last box of them I purchased, about 2/3 of them had very tight draw. I'm willing to give them another try as I like the RG line, but not until I hear that draw issues are no longer a problem.

You could be in for a very long wait...

You could be in for a very long wait...

I second that. Invest in a paper clip to open up the draw a bit, and pull out the little bit of crap fill they put in on the top.

And think about this. If you spent the same amount of money on a bundle of NC's, what do you think your smoking experience would be like? For me that puts these smokes in the absolute value category.

A great little Cigar for a variety of reasons:

1) It's not 'too' small. These will last you a good half an hour if smoked properly. Great for a morning Cigar. A bit like shreddies. Will keep that Cigar craving until lunch.

2) Price point. Cheap and cheerful. Smoking one of these first thing doesn't make you feel as if you're wasting money.

3) They are not nasty. Similar size and price cigars just suck.

Had to wait a bit, but my MUA NOV 09's are finally starting to come around. Should be outstanding in another 6-mos to 1-year.

These are my first RGPE's and I picked them up with a year with on them already, so I don't know how they smoke fresh (per label). Sure hope they do. Cheap price means high-turnover for me, and it would be nice to know I can grab recent production for good results without having to wait for them to meld.