Fakes in Cabo San Lucas

asuavea1

Hi guys,

Having a great time in Cabo, but.....

There are fake cigars everywhere!!!

I had a local try to sell me a box of Cohiba's with the glass top. One look with the naked eye I could tell they were fake. Every third person you run into here is selling these fakes. Not to worry I got mine from J&J.... Who charge double the going rate. Really, I spent $400 for 15 cigars. Next year I will bring my own :rolleyes:

Good thing you could recognize such! There are no doubt any number of poor joes getting snookered there...and then coming back embarrassed if a more educated somebody let's them know :o Oh, well, guess it's a good education for them :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

Having a great time in Cabo, but.....

There are fake cigars everywhere!!!

I had a local try to sell me a box of Cohiba's with the glass top. One look with the naked eye I could tell they were fake. Every third person you run into here is selling these fakes. Not to worry I got mine from J&J.... Who charge double the going rate. Really, I spent $400 for 15 cigars. Next year I will bring my own ;)

Wife and I took a day trip to San Jose Del Cabo today. Went into about four or five Cuban Cigar shops. Not a real CC to be found!

And you are right, some other tourist tried to tell me they were real. Fakes so bad that a newbie like me can spot 'em. Thank you FOH!!!!

Do not buy cigars in Cabo! The only time I ever got a tobacco beetle was after I bought some HDM Churchills in Cabo and brought them home with me. Stay away.

*Hey, that's really joggling my memory about how the only time I got lasioderma serricorne was when I began regulary buying cigars out of a men's warehouse in Atlanta. My Partagas 150th Anniversaries, and all my hundreds of smokes - et :lol:

I have a friend who I believe recently came back from Cabo. He told me as we were enjoying a NC cigar, "You know, I don't really like Cubans".

I'll have to re-educate him later, I suppose.

HE'S no doubt been the victim of a lot of fakes. If or when he has the real thing, he'll be lamenting what he's been missing, and tell you now he knows what we're talking about! :D

• 3 weeks later...

There is another thread here somewhere that I either started or joined in before I went to Cabo back in March - I brought many of my own but did go to J&J for some Mexican Regionals and a few others - nice shop, but everywhere else was very bogus.

The day I was leaving I was down by the marina and some 14 yr old kid tried to sell me a glass top box of Cohibas, the price starting at $150.

Within 30 mins the price was down to $15 !!! Now how much do you imaging they pay for those if they are selling them for $15 and I wonder how many spring breakers shell out over $100 for some 'cubans'.

No wonder they are out there hawking them, the profit margin is sweet!

Check out the fishing section (look for "Roosterfish") for some fotos of my trip - i did not stay near Cabo for long!