Scotch Tasting

bigfunkyg

I was fortunate to attend a Scotch tasting on Tuesday night put on by the local liquor monopoly. The whole evening was an amazing experience but I just wanted to share some of the scotches that I was fortunate to sample.

The first flight was a comparision of the GlenFiddich Family. It consised of the 12, 18, and 30 year old Single Malts. I was suprised at the similarities between the 18 and 30 although the 30 had a much more smooth and complex aroma to it. Almost had a buttery smell to it.

The second flight was a comparison of hte Johnny Walker family. It consided of Red, Gold, and Blue King George V. this tasting was blind and I called the Red even before I took a sip, probably because I drink enough of it. I had not tried gold before and would consider buying it as it seemed like a decent scotch for the value. However I was not impressed by the Blue King George V. I have drank Blue many times and the price of the King George does not justify the quality over the Blue, hands down. I think you can buy three bottles of Blue for the price on one Bottle of King George.

The last flight was not blind and consisted of 18 yr Highland Park, 30 yr Port Ellen 9th Edition, and 25yr Macallen. I am a huge Highland Park fan and have had the 18 yr old before. Definately worth the price. The Port Ellen is actually from a discontinued distillery but is owned by the Diageo family now and these casks were discovered and released. I do enjoy Macallen quite a bit and the 25yr was quite nice, however the price tag is a bit shocking.

We were treated to a one more scotch to end the evening. The host began talking about some date in November 1964 and a certain distillery. Long story short, he introduced to us Black Bowmore 1964, which is a 42 year old scotch. The appearance, aroma, and taste of this scotch was unlike anything I had ever had before. I was simply a captivating experience. He then explained to us that this scotch retails for the low price of $3850 a bottle.

I was very fortunate to sample so many difference scotches, many of which I would never actually purchase. All in all a wonderful experience.

Garrett

You lucky dog...thanks for sharing the experience with us.

I was fortunate to attend a Scotch tasting on Tuesday night put on by the local liquor monopoly. The whole evening was an amazing experience but I just wanted to share some of the scotches that I was fortunate to sample.

The first flight was a comparision of the GlenFiddich Family. It consised of the 12, 18, and 30 year old Single Malts. I was suprised at the similarities between the 18 and 30 although the 30 had a much more smooth and complex aroma to it. Almost had a buttery smell to it.

The second flight was a comparison of hte Johnny Walker family. It consided of Red, Gold, and Blue King George V. this tasting was blind and I called the Red even before I took a sip, probably because I drink enough of it. I had not tried gold before and would consider buying it as it seemed like a decent scotch for the value. However I was not impressed by the Blue King George V. I have drank Blue many times and the price of the King George does not justify the quality over the Blue, hands down. I think you can buy three bottles of Blue for the price on one Bottle of King George.

The last flight was not blind and consisted of 18 yr Highland Park, 30 yr Port Ellen 9th Edition, and 25yr Macallen. I am a huge Highland Park fan and have had the 18 yr old before. Definately worth the price. The Port Ellen is actually from a discontinued distillery but is owned by the Diageo family now and these casks were discovered and released. I do enjoy Macallen quite a bit and the 25yr was quite nice, however the price tag is a bit shocking.

We were treated to a one more scotch to end the evening. The host began talking about some date in November 1964 and a certain distillery. Long story short, he introduced to us Black Bowmore 1964, which is a 42 year old scotch. The appearance, aroma, and taste of this scotch was unlike anything I had ever had before. I was simply a captivating experience. He then explained to us that this scotch retails for the low price of $3850 a bottle.

I was very fortunate to sample so many difference scotches, many of which I would never actually purchase. All in all a wonderful experience.

Garrett

Enjoyed reading your post and wonder whether you had anything to eat in between trying all of the whiskies? If not perhaps you had a bit of a sore head the next morning? Was interested to hear of your opinions of the different offerings within a line.

G

Enjoyed reading your post and wonder whether you had anything to eat in between trying all of the whiskies? If not perhaps you had a bit of a sore head the next morning? Was interested to hear of your opinions of the different offerings within a line.

G

Just a bit of bread between tastings to clens the pallet. The samples were all about 1/3 to 1/2 a ounce, so I didn't feel to badly at all.