Black light test

cgrlvr

This is only my second post, (the first being my introduction) but I've been reading with wide eyes and absorbing a lot of good information. That being said...I can't seem to find any threads about using a black light to determine fakes. Is this simply not a reliable means of detection? Is the glowing "water mark" too easy to fake? If there is already a thread, please direct me to it.

Thanks

Arthur

I understand that the presence of the UV Coat-of-Arms is an oversimplified telling of a genuine CC, but in trying to determine it'a worth in that regard, I'll ask this question: Has anyone seen the UV Coat-of-Arms on fake CCs? I can see from the above links, (thank you Colt45) that this "water mark" is often hard to see on genuine CCs.

I understand that the presence of the UV Coat-of-Arms is an oversimplified telling of a genuine CC, but in trying to determine it'a worth in that regard, I'll ask this question: Has anyone seen the UV Coat-of-Arms on fake CCs? I can see from the above links, (thank you Colt45) that this "water mark" is often hard to see on genuine CCs.

My 2 cents, because of the variability in packaging coming out of Cuba I don't waste my time putting boxes or labels under a microscope, or black light for that matter. To android's point, buy from someone you know and trust and don't sweat the details.

Yes, the majority of counterfeits have had some sort of UV imprint on their seal stickers. Quality varied quite a bit, or at least it used to. I'm a bit out of the loop these days. As to what sort of knowledge one can glean from this indicator, strictly academic hobbyist interest I think. But for one with interest in forensics, it can be great fun studying these things.

Wilkey

My 2 cents, because of the variability in packaging coming out of Cuba I don't waste my time putting boxes or labels under a microscope, or black light for that matter. To android's point, buy from someone you know and trust and don't sweat the details.

Amen !!!! Everything on the outside is too easy to come by

I don't think it is a reliable means of checking authenticty. I have received boxes with and without, both from a very trusted vendor in OZ.

The only fairly reliable test, short of buying from someone who is a 100% trusted vendor, is taste profile. Brands that you are familar with will have a taste profile that is unmistakeable. And even this can be misleading if they are being rolled and sold out of the back door of a factory.

There is only 1 vendor that I trust 100% everything else is suspect.