End Table Humidor - seasoning/humidification

JasonInChiTown

Hi guys

I'm in the process of purchasing a small end table humidor - approx 21"W x 17"D x 26"H. Questions:

1. What is your best advice on seasoning? Should I keep the boxes in while seasoning [cigars are currently in a large desktop]? Any preferred methods?

2. I have a Hydra SM, but thinking of also adding 1-2lbs worth of heartfelt beads. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi guys

I'm in the process of purchasing a small end table humidor - approx 21"W x 17"D x 26"H. Questions:

1. What is your best advice on seasoning? Should I keep the boxes in while seasoning [cigars are currently in a large desktop]? Any preferred methods?

2. I have a Hydra SM, but thinking of also adding 1-2lbs worth of heartfelt beads. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

I would avoid wiping down the interior. Some folks do it but you run the chance of warping the wood. Not a big fan of the Hydra type units. had a Cigar Oasis and it was a POS. The readout is not accuate so make sure you get a separate digital Hygrometer...Heartfelt beads are great...I would stick with those. I would recomend putting the beads in the humidor saturated and let them raise the humidity slowly. it shouldn't take more than a couple days...What brand of cabinet did you get?

Chris

Just make sure you get a reliable digital hygrometer, and salt test it to make sure you have the humidity level you want to store your cigars in.

Patience is the key, don't rush it.

Hi guys

Thanks!

Jason

Here's what I would personally do...

If the cabinet itself has been professionally finished, then there shouldn't be any heavy deposits of sawdust or anything like that. But, for me, I would take a small tea towel (made of cheesecloth, or something like that, not a terry-towel washcloth), and I would get it mildly damp with distilled water, and then rub down the whole interior to ensure there's no residue, dust, etc. (And do NOT use paper towels or anything like that - they leave fiber deposits).

Then, what I would do, for a cabinet that size, is I would put in a couple of bowls of hot, slightly steaming distilled water. I would put in a couple of glass custard dishes of warm water - if microwaving distilled water, please be careful that you don't overdo it (google about this if you want). I would put in a bowl on each level, and/or at least two for that whole cabinet (put the bowls on small dishes/plates to protect from water spillage). Don't have super steaming water - you just want it fairly warmer than the air temp, to promote evaporation.

I would leave the bowls of warm water in there for 24 hours.

If the cigar boxes themselves are empty (you said the actual cigars are in your desktop), then yes, I would put the boxes in the cabinet (boxes cracked open a bit, for air exchange), to allow them to absorb moisture also, before you put the cigars back in them, after this initial 24 hours with the bowls.

Then, leaving the bowls in there, I would get the Hydra system in there and running, for at least another 24-48 hours, to get the RH up. Keep an eye on once the Hydra slows down on it's running cycles to get things humidified.

At that point, when things seem normalized, and you're getting consistent readings, put your beads and cigars in there, and just keep a close eye on things for the next week.

Others may or may not agree with this, but this sort of pattern has worked for me and others before.

Hope this helps some.

I would avoid wiping down. I had an issue with a humidor after wiping it down. Just put in your beads, moisten them, and then take a brand new sponge and soak it in distilled water and put it on a small dinner plate. Wait three days and everything should have stabilized and be perfect.

Keith's method is about as good as you can do. It's important to take the time and get the internal environment stable and accurate. Once you put your cigars in the new cabinet, there's going to be some adjusting. Either they're going to go in a tad dry or tad wet relative to the inside of the cabinet.

I have used heartfelt beads and they are very accurate and a very good product. Most humidor cabinets with active humidification do a wonderful job of maintaining a set RH by adding moisture into the air, but not such a good job of taking excess out. That's where the beads work great for me, I also have active humidification in my cabinet (Aristocrat Plus THC). The beads only come in 65% or 70% most commonly, so you have to match your active humidification device to the beads. My thought on this is say you have your active humidification set at 65% and you have a pound or two of 65% beads. When the RH drops below 65% the active kicks in, when the RH rises above 65% the beads kick in. As I said previously, the beads are very accurate to within 1% RH guaranteed.

Enjoy your new cabinet, keep in mind they fill up fast!

Hi guys

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed responses. This is very helpful and I will use methods suggested. I believe I am going to use a combo of the Hydra and beads [65%], and see how that works.

In terms of the actual unit, I'm torn between making one myself. My parents have a nice end table that would suffice. I'd be happy to do the internal crafting myself. Or, I was looking at the Lauderdale End Unit. A few online retailers have them at very competitive prices. Reviews seems good. Does anyone own that, or heard any feedback?

Best :: Jason