Wine fridge questions

#2 man

For all of you that store your precious cargo in these I am seeking some knowledge... First question: how cold can you get the temperature? and second: does an active humidification device work any better than a passive? plus and minuses to both would be appreciated

I use a plasma type refrigerator (compressor) and an active humidifier. The two systems work against each other and the success of all systems depends on the temperature differential that you are attempting to overcome. My systems will work in a 100+ degree outside environment and even though they cycle like crazy, they do not run constantly and protect boxed cigars in a very stable environment. I can prove this with data loggers.

I don't use Peltier devices. They work only in small differential temperature environments. They don't work quickly enough for my taste but I suppose they can work within small temperature differentials and with passive systems. Looking to overcome a 5 degree differential? They may work just fine. You should seek the advice of others with similar projects but ask them under what circumstances and temperature differentials their systems work to see if it matches your needs before buying equipment. There are plenty of people here who have such systems and help is not hard to find.

I use a certified controller with an active system. A passive system will not work well in conjunction with a plasma type cooler. They will be eventually dried by the cooler and have no means to activate on demand.

My opinions represent only one means to achieve a goal. In high temperature differential conditions, I argue it is the only way but that is of course debatable. As I have coached many members here to successful systems, and can prove the robust nature of my own via the use of data loggers; I more or less consider myself an authority on the matter. That does not mean that there are not other opinions or other authorities. The starting point for your project has to be the goal, and within that goal you will need to determine the external temperature of your environment and the desired internal temperature of your environment.

To answer your other question, I could cool my cigars below 30 degrees... but why would I want to? Hope that helps. I will bump my project thread for you.

Best of luck, -Piggy

Thanks Piggy, I was just curious it seems most people use a passive primarily while others even with an active device use a passive to help regulate and I agree with you that out side temp is very important factor cuz if the air is constantly running there will be alot of condensation to account for and an active will not be able to regulate the extra moisture. I wasn't aware that they could get that cold but something tells me you don't have a run of the mill unit. Thanks for responding