Thermoelectric wine cooler in canada?

redlir

Hey guys,

I wonder if any of our Canadian members know a good place to find a thermoelectric wine cooler in Canada? I can't seem to find a Vinotemp, and the shipping from the states would be almost as much as a unit itself it seems?

Are there any alternatives out there?

There are some units around, not that many. A couple years ago I saw a pretty nice unit with wood shelves at RONA that I was tempted to buy but didn't see the need to get one as my basement stays at a pretty constant 18C. I think the unit was in the $200 dollar range.

There are some units around, not that many. A couple years ago I saw a pretty nice unit with wood shelves at RONA that I was tempted to buy but didn't see the need to get one as my basement stays at a pretty constant 18C. I think the unit was in the $200 dollar range.

Ya I'm not so much concerned with temperature I guess, but I figure if I'm going to go with a wine cooler humidor I may as well try and find one. I guess I could always go with a regular model from GE etc that has a compressor and just never turn it on.

I picked up a Koolatron 12 bottle unit from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...tk=P_PartNumber

The only thing is its taking a long time to get the smell out of the plastic. And I'm not 100% convinced its "thermoelectric" as it gives off a bit of an odor when its on. When its off the smell is gone, turn it on and bang! Its there.

Furthermore, the humidity I did manage to build up just gets sucked out when I turn it on. So much for that. :)

This unit is cheap and I'm going to keep experimenting. If I had more budget I would track down a Vinotemp and buy custom cedar shelves and inserts from this guy.

http://www.chasidorhumidors.com/index.php?...amp;cPath=25_73

I picked up a Koolatron 12 bottle unit from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...tk=P_PartNumber

The only thing is its taking a long time to get the smell out of the plastic. And I'm not 100% convinced its "thermoelectric" as it gives off a bit of an odor when its on. When its off the smell is gone, turn it on and bang! Its there.

Furthermore, the humidity I did manage to build up just gets sucked out when I turn it on. So much for that. :)

This unit is cheap and I'm going to keep experimenting. If I had more budget I would track down a Vinotemp and buy custom cedar shelves and inserts from this guy.

http://www.chasidorhumidors.com/index.php?...amp;cPath=25_73

Ya I was looking at the koolatron units as well. My home depot didn't carry them in stock or I may have picked one up this weekend. I haven't read a single good review of these units either... and only a 90 day warranty.. that can't be good! I think I'll just go with an 18 bottle vinotemp.

Ya I was looking at the koolatron units as well. My home depot didn't carry them in stock or I may have picked one up this weekend. I haven't read a single good review of these units either... and only a 90 day warranty.. that can't be good! I think I'll just go with an 18 bottle vinotemp.

At the very least I can use them as a wine cooler as intended. :) The price point was low enough to experiment with. Got mine for about $120

At the very least I can use them as a wine cooler as intended. :) The price point was low enough to experiment with. Got mine for about $120

ya they are cheap enough for sure. You could always use it at ambient temperatures for the winter too. It's really just those few crazy weeks in the Ontario summer I want an active unit for I guess.

You really need to be sure to check the min/max temperature range too. I've noticed that a bunch of those Danby units, while they look good, only go up to a maximum temp of 55 F, a bit too cold maybe for your smokes. There are a few different smaller fridges out there that go up to 62-64 F.

Edit - with a quick Google search, there's even a few that go up to 72 F (in adjustment, although too high).

Haier is one of the names that jumped out on me on a search - I've seen a number of cool looking units, with digital temperature display, and nice stainless trim, etc. No idea on quality, efficiency, reliability, etc., though - I'm a wood-cabinet and coolerdor kind of guy, sorry.

You really need to be sure to check the min/max temperature range too. I've noticed that a bunch of those Danby units, while they look good, only go up to a maximum temp of 55 F, a bit too cold maybe for your smokes. There are a few different smaller fridges out there that go up to 62-64 F.

Ya there was only that one Danby that went up to 65 I think it was, and it also turned out to be compressor based.