Phuket

I recently took a ten day break with the family in Phuket, Thailand (No it doesn't rhyme with Nantucket LOL). It was ace and here's why.

I took along a selection of cigars in an airtight lunch box. A couple of each Mag 48, BPC, VR Unicos, BRC tubos, RASCC and Party Aristocrats. When I could manage it, I put in a daily smoke report and pic. Overall I found that the flavours and aromas were much more pungent there in weather conditions of about 30 deg C and more than 90% humidity. It was officially the wet season in mid August but there was plenty of sunshine and only passing heavy showers which were warm and no trouble. I fell in love again with each of the cigars I took along. They were so much more enjoyable and even though I think I may have been the only cigar smoker on the island as I nubbed them I had the thought that no-one but me knew how good these babies were.

In addition to the warmth of the air, Phuket was Smokers' Paradise compared to back home in Melbourne. The lobby of the Holiday Inn was open to the forecourt and one of the internal gardens. One of the first things I noticed was... Ashtrays. Yes, these endangered items back home were everywhere in the lobby, the bar and even half the restaurant. I was home at last!. :lol: Outside the hotel most restaurants had ashtrays on the tables, many did not even have separate smoking sections. It was such a great novelty to be able to finish a fine meal and light up while downing some more of the excellent local beer. Pretty much all the restaurants were open to the street and so there was always plenty of airflow.

I tried to track down some cigar retailers but found only 2. One seemed to have closed and the other was very small with only a few tubos to choose from in the humidor. Other boxes of CCs were stacked around but it was not clear if they were soaked by the ambient RH or maintained better within airconditioning. :huh: Good choice to bring some of my own then.

It seemed to me that there was a higher percentage of smokers amongst the foreign visitors, certainly more than the locals. I seriously wondered whether the freedom to smoke was a factor in some people choosing Phuket for a holiday. For me personally it was a pleasant surprise to have such freedom.

Considering the cost competitiveness of Thailand to staying in Australia for a holiday PLUS the ability to enjoy cigars nearly everywhere, well to me that clinches the deal. I will be back and packing more cigars.

I hope some of you folks get the chance to do the same. Is this the best value cigar friendly destination from Australia? What do you guys think?

Mike

Note the official shirt for Mojito tastings!

post-4065-1282646797.jpg

post-4065-1282647001.jpg

post-4065-1282647087.jpg

Thanks guys, no worries. Pronounce it "pooh ket" and that will keep you out of trouble :lol:

Its very remiss of me not to mention how great the Thai people are. The most helpful and cheerful people ever I reckon and I am sorry to say the behavior of some foreigners towards them left a lot to be desired.

Lisa, Rob surely knows a couple of weeks for you in Phuket would make him boss of the year. What about a Club Czar "study tour"? :lol:

Canuck, yes the tsunami did hit there nearly 6 years ago now and so there is little, if any, evidence of it having happened. The hotel is fully restored. There are tsunami evacuation direction signs around the streets now. Youtube has some video of it too as waves hit Patong.

In the grounds of the hotel there is this plaque. Amen to that.

post-4065-1282732390.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Never been, but Phuket sounds amazing.

Oh I so want and need a holiday in Phuket, I will get there on day :D

Haven't you asked Rob for your raise yet?

Canuck, yes the tsunami did hit there nearly 6 years ago now and so there is little, if any, evidence of it having happened. The hotel is fully restored. There are tsunami evacuation direction signs around the streets now. Youtube has some video of it too as waves hit Patong.

Yes, I remember when the tsunami hit, of videos of that particular area. If I remember correctly, I remember seeing some video shot from the balcony of that same hotel, showing a wave coming in through the palm trees over the beach and into the resort grounds. And, I think there was also another video that someone took (from the restaurant or bar maybe), from the far right hand side of the picture that you took with the pool in it, and it showed a wave hitting the beach-side of that pool, and with people out on the balconies. Like I said, I think that's correct - that was a few years ago now, and I know there's a lot of places in Phuket, but that Holiday Inn is quite recognizable.

It surely was a tragedy, but it's definitely nice to see that things are back in order again - it's one of those places that are on my wife and I's places to visit now.

Great post, looks beautiful. I've never been to Thailand before, but just booked my winter's vacation and will be travelling to Hua Hin. I'm very excited about it, it is supposed to be such a hospitable country. I'll take your advise and will carry a travel humidor along.

Btw, can I please borrow your shirt? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I, too, have enjoyed a CC or two in Thailand. The people there are very nice in general, and that's the main reason why I would like to live there. A dollar (USD) goes much further over there than in the USA to boot.