Cigars for wedding guests

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone, I´ve been out for a while working like a monkey... just read about Tampa... sad news, will always remember his generosity and laugh.

I have a wedding of a good friend and I´m in charge of the cigars.

The idea is to offer cigars for everybody, most of the people don´t smoke cigars, but off course they´ll enjoy an occasional cigar.

We are buying 3 boxes for 300 guests aprox. I´m thinking a Petit corona or similar size that everybody can enjoy.

Based also in czars inventory those are my options

Which one will you choose?

If you're looking to recent production, I would go with the BCJ. I've found that they are good when you and don't require much time to reach potential. The PLPC is a good cigar, but seems to take some time (years) to hit it's stride. I'm not a fan on the MC #5 and haven't had the Upmann PCs.

I voted for the H. Upman, but I'd actually say the Corona Minor, as it's available in a tube.

I understand what you're saying, regarding Czar's inventory. You're probably not looking for some bonehead (me) to pop holes in your plan. And so, you've got a good list to choose from there. The Monte 5's is also a best bet with name recognition for most people. Stop reading here then if you are absolutely 100% steadfast in that list.

:(

But I would seriously consider something in a tube. For something like a wedding, where drinking - gasp - will be happening, it's best to give something that's in a unique presentation, protected from the elements and damage, and can keep for some time (most probably won't smoke them that night, but may want to do so a number of days later).

I had a similar quandry for my wedding, for the wedding party and family - and then also with the birth of my son 2 years ago. I went with R&J Romeo No. 2 tubos. Why? It's a light and inexpensive favourite of mine, there's name recognition and a flavour profile to suit seasoned cigar smokers and non-aficionados alike, and the presentation is top notch (in a tasteful tube).

And hey, for a wedding, what's better than a "Romeo y Julieta", after a blissfully ignorant couple that ends up killing themselves? AWESOME ROMANCE!!!!

I'm getting hitched in October and already bought a box of RyJ Cedros #3. Great cigar, smaller size, brilliant plan I thought. Course with all this talk of Tubes...dang that has some good merit. I've recently tried some H Upmann Corona Minor in tubes...think I might switch up to these as they're sublime...and not as "romantic" as the last post... :(

I'd go for the Montecristo, based on two reasons.

One, there is a name recognition. Two, it's the cheapest.

From what I've seen in such occasions, most of the cigars are going to end up being dumped early. And there is nothing more depressing than paying good money for these things only to see them in ashtrays with so much left.

For any of the guests that you know are avid cigar smokers, you can always come up with alternative arrangements for later in the evening if you really want.

When people come into th store asking for cigars for a wedding I always suggest tube stock. Simple reason they are easy to transport and the guest have the tube to remember the evening. However I always suggest that you put a differnt cigar in the tube you are going to smoke so that you don't have to smoke the cheap stuff with the other guests.

I voted for the PLPC as it is the mildest of the bunch and probably more agreeable to many who don't often smoke cigars; however the tubos idea has great merit. Especially the RyJ which was mentioned earlier.

I understood the 3 boxes to mean that you figured on 1 out of 4 guests accepting a cigar... or more likely 1 in 6 and you'll have the unfortunate task of disposing of all the leftovers :P

I voted for the PLPC, but those are only offered in cabs of 50, so up your budget a little if you go that route (100 sticks vs 75). And if your budget would allow that then you'd actually save money going for 3x25 Montecristo No.4's instead. Known by all. Appreciated by uninitiated and experienced smokers alike. And dress boxes are probably a better presentation than cabs in this situation.

The MC No.5 listed in the poll might seem a wee bit skimpy for a wedding, hence I didn't vote that way even though Montecristos would really seem the most appropriate choice to me.

I do like the tubos idea, though I stand by the Montecristo suggestion. M/C Petit Tubos are the same cigar as the No.4, but will cost you half-again as much to get them in tubes. Still might be worth it if you want guests to have a souvenir.

Edit: It just occurred to me that Por Larranaga is mentioned in Kipling's "The Betrothed" wherein he chooses his cigars over taking a bride. Might not be the best wedding cigar after all. :)

Uh, Fred......

I'm no Einstein, but 3 x 25, or even 3 x 50 falls just a wee bit short of 300.

I think he's wagering that not all will take. Just to have them there for those who want them, not to necessarily hand them out directly one to every person. :)

In that case, buy two boxes of a decent tubed one (H. Upmann), and then two boxes of Monte 5's. You have variety, decent numbers, some in tubes and some without, name recognition, and then when the night is over and there's a ton left, you still have some more-than-decent sticks to bring home.

However I always suggest that you put a differnt cigar in the tube you are going to smoke so that you don't have to smoke the cheap stuff with the other guests.

LOL. So, with the "cheap stuff" sticks that are left over - are these the dud sticks that you guys shovel off on Ken for the taste testings/reviews??! :P:)

Agree w/ Smithy. Coronas Major tubos are a nice presentation. You won't cry when they smoke an inch and pitch it, and you can load yours with a Boli PC.

That is exactly what I did for the birth of my baby. Only my best friend and i finished the cigars. Most smoked about an inch and tossed it. The only good thing is they all kept the tubes. I picked the Upmann Coronas Major because of the price and they were available but if the Monte Petit tubos were available I would have picked them because they are more recognizable, or at least the RYJ tubos no.2.

I think you're headed in the right direction as far as the size of the cigar goes. My experience is that the majority of people will end up smoking a small part of the cigar and then toss it. If most of the guests aren't cigar smokers, I'd go for something with a little cachet like the Monte. Another thing to consider is the strength of the cigar. You want something that will appeal to the masses (PLPC). I also like the tubos idea.

Colt my love... did you know I miss you too?

I understand that you´ll be buying 300 bottles of whisky on your wedding (may I have the leftovers?), but in this part of the world (note that I live in the 3rd world please), the same way that not everybody drinks whisky, not everybody smokes cigars.

I´m just guessing 1/3 of the men will smoke and adding a few more just in case :cigar:

Uh, Fred......

I'm no Einstein, but 3 x 25, or even 3 x 50 falls just a wee bit short of 300.

I agree with the idea of tubo's. I just got married in May and what I did was bring a box of R&J Dukes for the wedding party or serious smokers and some R&J #2 tubo's for the rest of the guest. Almost all of the guests didn't finish them so I didn't feel to bad although some took them home so the tube came in handy. The small group that had the Dukes just loved them and stayed up late to finish them.

Another vote for tubos.

Individual protective packaging is ideal for such occassions.

The Coronas Major is a great choice as it is economical, and smokes beautifully when young.

Medium in strength, but full of flavour.

My friends that are very occasional smokers love them, as do I.

Just make sure to examine every cigar first, as tubos are often over humidified,

and white mold (which can easily be wiped off with a tissue) can be a problem.

Another marvelous choice, though around 50% more expensive (for the same size) is the Bolivar Tubos #2.

Brilliant cigars, though probably best reserved for those who will smoke more than an inch!

If you want to offer variety, than perhaps a box each of the Bolis for those who want full body,

the Upmanns for medium, and the R&J tubos #2 for lighter.

I would suggest, however, to avoid tubo cigars that are smaller than Petit Coronas,

as the quality seriously declines.