Cohiba sublimes LE 2004 - are these FAKE?

oakley

Firstly, that Habanos S.A. corner sticker - thinking further about it, I'm actually pretty sure that these were put into use in late-2008 on very limited stuff, and more widespread by 2009. Trevor - can we potentially reconfirm that date??

But, nonetheless, that sticker DEFINITELY wasn't in use in 2004, that's for sure.

Secondly, NO, you shouldn't list the retailer here (against Forum rules). I'm sure that if any members want to know, they can PM you privately. Don't want to "slander" anyone on the Czar's webpage.

Trust me - work with your credit card then. I'd give the supplier 24 hours / 1 business day to reply. Otherwise, push on it through your credit card company.

Be polite, but firm and resolute. They promised you a product, satisfaction guaranteed, and they sold you a fake bill of goods. They either need to accept a return for a full and complete refund, or the credit card company can do so for you (can't remember what it's called, but they do have a policy in place for when these types of transactions go wonky like this).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how many credit card companies will work with you if you are an American who was trying to purchase Cuban cigars. I don't know if you are American or not but, if you are, keep in mind that they may be less than sympathetic.

In their view, you narrowly avoided breaking the law.

Yesterday at last the seller replied to my email and accepted to send me a full refund inclusive of shipping costs once the 22 remaining cigars and box will be delivered to his address. Today I will ship them.

I will keep you updated on the development of this affair.

Thanks again guys.

Yesterday at last the seller replied to my email and accepted to send me a full refund inclusive of shipping costs once the 22 remaining cigars and box will be delivered to his address. Today I will ship them.

I will keep you updated on the development of this affair.

Thanks again guys.

Good. Make sure you ship via a method with tracking and confirmation.

Good. Make sure you ship via a method with tracking and confirmation.

I had a friend send stuff back to the Canary Islands when he got a box that was crushed in transit.

He said they specified, no tracking etc. He didnt have any problems, promptly got a new box.

Not sure if that is for their, or your benefit.

I had a friend send stuff back to the Canary Islands when he got a box that was crushed in transit.

He said they specified, no tracking etc. He didnt have any problems, promptly got a new box.

Not sure if that is for their, or your benefit.

Completely your benefit, as the customer.

They say no tracking, as that way it's cheaper for you the customer, and potentially for them if they plan on refunding you that shipping cost also. (Also, it works better for them to slip it in "under the radar", so they don't have to pay any duties potentially on a return).

Hey, with some vendors, that may be okay. And, if they're shipping out themselves that way, that's okay too - the onus is still on them at that point. But, if you get burnt on your initial or follow-up transaction with someone with some obvious fakes, defective/damaged product, etc., then I'm doing everything I can to ensure that any "excuses" are covered from my end, because at that point I can't trust them as much to fulfill their end of the bargain.

Yes, I've got burned by stuff in the past with some less-than-scrupulous vendors (and not just for cigars) when you send something normal mail, with no tracking, and then they say they did not receive any return shipment back, so therefore they're not going to refund you any money.

So now in the past, I've just marked it as a "returned/defective" product, got the confirmation option, and gone from there. No potential hassles that way for me.

CYA, that's my plan always. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. But, maybe that's just the first responder in me.

Hey gents...as promised some pic's of an open box of Cohiba Sublimes GKI NOV 04.

Have another unopened and stuff away somewhere but my record show the same box code.

As usual, there are some minor nuances different even within this box.

One of the most amazing smelling and enjoyable smoking cigars I've ever owned.

post-3424-1282712827.jpg

post-3424-1282712878.jpg

post-3424-1282712922.jpg

post-3424-1282713025.jpg

post-3424-1282713156.jpg

post-3424-1282713249.jpg

post-3424-1282713263.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The end of the story.

Yesterday the seller received my box of 22 cigars (I smoked one, I ripped open onother one to see the leaves inside and gave the last one to a friend of mine to have his opinion). Regardless the fact that 3 cigars were missing from the box he fully refunded me and I am very happy on how it ended! I am sorry though that he still claims that in his opinion the cigars are real and not fakes as many of you/us have made clear. By the way I reported to him almost all of the most interesting notes you wrote about them for his information. None the less a serious seller at the end.

I will invest that money at the Czar next time.

I'm glad you got your money back.

The main reason that a lot retailers believe their stock is real is because:

1) they foolishly believe their distributors. In fact they are putting their entire business at risk.

2) they really dont have a clue, and dont wish to educate themselves. They prefer to operate hoping that 99.9999% of their customers are ignorant as they are. You will find that they dont sell fakes knowingly... they do it without even being aware of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

found this thread which got me to looking at my sublimes.....

I have a query now(!).....

certain things seem questionable now I look at them again based on what I read here;

my box code seems ok (like Android's it is GKI NOV 04), the box itself seems pretty much identical to the pictures that he posted too, and the inserts etc.

mine, however, has a seal with the number JN 177723 which suggests wrong year, but the box is also "Revisado 02/07", BUT I understand that there should therefore be a seal beginning XX or something?

The main thing is the EL bands though; they are only very slightly embossed (less so than most of the other LE's I have) and have a somewhat "glossy" look and feel - actually looking at Android's pictures they do look very similar to his, but it's really hard to tell....

Is this right/normal?

there is nothing wrong with the main cohiba bands at all, they are definitely fine. The cigars themselves also seen fine; very uniform, unmistakable cuban aroma.... again, they look very much like Android's based on his photos.

I remember I bought the remainder of an open box along with the box itself, stuck them in my humidor and haven't checked them for a while.....

can someone let me know about this EL band issue? as I said, there is definitely less embossing than, for example, than my 2003 DC's although there is some raising of the lettering, and they are glossier.

many thanks,

Paul

Can you post some photos, Paul?

Actually, no need.

I have unfortunately taken time today to discover that they are, in fact, NOT genuine.

I compared them with some definitely genuine ones (at Sautters in London), and while they are probably very good smokes in their own right, they aren't real sublimes:

tobacco aroma very good, but too young

cohiba bands look too new, LE bands look wrong

cigars underfilled

I have contacted the retailer where I originally bought them... awaiting their reply.

ho-hum!

*There's a possibly teeny-weeny little thing I look for too in a supposed La Casa Del Habanos box's make-up: The piece of cedar sheet separating the top group of cigars from the bottom--it's supposed to have a neatly rounded cut out at the right top corner, a half-quarter cut diameter to be able to lift the sheet up. I notice the cut at the right tip of the cedar sheet is straight flat, not neatly rounded.

Good one Cigcars .. that one is always on my checklist.

Actually, no need.

I have unfortunately taken time today to discover that they are, in fact, NOT genuine.

I compared them with some definitely genuine ones (at Sautters in London), and while they are probably very good smokes in their own right, they aren't real sublimes:

tobacco aroma very good, but too young

cohiba bands look too new, LE bands look wrong

cigars underfilled

I have contacted the retailer where I originally bought them... awaiting their reply.

ho-hum!

Just another reason to by your CCs from a trusted vendor like Czar. Take the doubt and worry out of the way and the experience becomes so much more enjoyable.

Just another reason to by your CCs from a trusted vendor like Czar. Take the doubt and worry out of the way and the experience becomes so much more enjoyable.

agreed, although they were bought from a highly trusted and respected shop (I think they too were duped)

• 4 weeks later...

After having reading this topic, the original poster got them from the same place I foolishly did.. Except the vendor wouldnt' respond to my emails and is a total thief.. Lesson learned, moved on.. But I know where Andrew got them from and I'd recommend anyone else to stay away from these guys at all costs

*There's a possibly teeny-weeny little thing I look for too in a supposed La Casa Del Habanos box's make-up: The piece of cedar sheet separating the top group of cigars from the bottom--it's supposed to have a neatly rounded cut out at the right top corner, a half-quarter cut diameter to be able to lift the sheet up. I notice the cut at the right tip of the cedar sheet is straight flat, not neatly rounded.

You wouldn't consider this in and of itself as an indication of fake though,would you?.All but one of my recent purchases over the last few months have had the straight cut as opposed to the rounded.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry for bumping an old topic but someone offered me a box of sublimes and I'm not sure if they are real. Most of it seems to be correct, only thing I can find wrong with the box is that the letters on the warranty seal are IQ. According to Trevor's website that means 2006/2007 but the boxcode is, of course, 2004!

Can anyone tell me if this means they are fake? Or is it very common?

Your input is much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...