in training

Stalebread

In August we’re going for a seven-day hiking and scenic train tour through the Scottish Highlands. I’m now in training which includes having a bit of single malt every evening.

It seems that part of our trip takes us to Broadford on the Isle of Skye which is where the MacKinnons received from Prince Charles the recipe for Drambuie.

So, what’s it like? Drambuie. I’ve never had it.

Is it to Scotch what Legendario Elixir is to rum?

Drambuie is a great liquer.. very sweet but with a little bit of fire and spice.

mix it 50/50 with a good blended whiskey and you have a RUSTY NAIL one of the worlds great cocktails. :clap:

• 1 month later...
So, what’s it like? Drambuie. I’ve never had it.

I've only ever had Flaming Drambuie so try setting it alight. It is just a bit of fun really not to be taken too seriously.

Have a great trip and enjoy indulging in single malts. G

I've tried both Drambuie and Legendario, and stock both in my bar. My father's favorite cocktail is a Rusty Nail, so my Drambuie is running a little low at the moment :lol:

In any case - I would liken them as related drinks, but not necessarily brothers in the booze world. Legendario is a sweet, syrupy rum derivative, essentially, whereas Drambuie is Scotch taken to another level, sweet and syrupy, but with added and enhanced flavours that create something so much more than just a sweet scotch. I mean, if it was just sweet scotch - what would be the point of a Rusty Nail, you might as well just add Simple Syrop to Scotch! I like Legendario better, but only because I go to Rum for sweetness in a drink (I mean, the damn stuff's MADE with sugar cane!), but I go to Scotch (blended and single malt) for a different taste experience, something much more refined and unique.

If we're talking just Scotch Liqueur, I would rate the ones I've tried thusly

Glenfiddich Malt Whiskey Liqueur

Macallan Amber

Drambuie

The Glenfiddich is a tasty liqueur - much closer to scotch than Drambuie I'd say, and thus a more honest, pleasant tasting change-of-pace.

Macallan Amber is a maple-sugar version of scotch - very nice if you like maple syrup. Not so much if you don't.

Both are extremely hard to find. I have no Amber left and the Glenfiddich Liqueur I have, I bought 2 bottles of it in the Lisbon, Portugal Duty free store last month - that was all they had, and the first time I've seen it in about 3 years.

There's also Glayva, which I much prefer to Drambuie. Its available in most UK off licenses, though I haven't seen it in Canada yet...
I've sdeen Glayva in Liqour stores here in Canada. Can't remember where. Halifax for sure. Never tried it though....

Most LCBO stores in Ontario carry Glayva, in both 375mL and 750mL bottles.

If you're in BC, a quick google search comes up with a listing of BC Liquor stores that have it for sale for you...

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/201251#WhereToBuyIt

. . .

If we're talking just Scotch Liqueur, I would rate the ones I've tried thusly

Glenfiddich Malt Whiskey Liqueur

Macallan Amber

Drambuie

The Glenfiddich is a tasty liqueur - much closer to scotch than Drambuie I'd say, and thus a more honest, pleasant tasting change-of-pace.

Macallan Amber is a maple-sugar version of scotch - very nice if you like maple syrup. Not so much if you don't. . . .

Went to La Maison du Whisky.

They had the Amber but not the Glenfiddich.

Brought home a bottle. Tried it on the rocks.

You are for sure right about the pronounced maple syrup flavor. Not much else though. Not really any Scotch character at all.

Not bad for dessert, I guess.