Partagas Corona Senior same as PCE?

jacksfull

Can anyone confirm if Partagas Corona Senior are same cigar as their Petit Coronas Especiales?

It's been a long time since I've had one of the Seniors... so long that I really don't even remember smoking it (though I have a couple of empty tubes, so I must have).

I've been enjoying PCE's lately... my "go to" daily... and looking at purchasing a box of Corona Seniors. Hoping the Senior is just a tubed presentation of the same cigar. Same Eminentes vitola. Same blend?

Can anyone confirm if Partagas Corona Senior are same cigar as their Petit Coronas Especiales?

It's been a long time since I've had one of the Seniors... so long that I really don't even remember smoking it (though I have a couple of empty tubes, so I must have).

I've been enjoying PCE's lately... my "go to" daily... and looking at purchasing a box of Corona Seniors. Hoping the Senior is just a tubed presentation of the same cigar. Same Eminentes vitola. Same blend?

It's kind of hard to be sure if it is the same blend, as HSA would never confirm anything.

I rather doubt it though, since there are many examples of the same cigar,

with the same name, in both tubed and untubed versions.

Different names would seem to indicate different blends.

In my very limited experience - one box of each, both '05 - I have found them to be quite different.

The PCEs are richer and smoother, the CSs drier and more woody.

Still, as we know too well, you can get that much variation between two batches in most any CC!

As well, the woodiness in the CS may simply be due to its conditioning

with the cedar sleeve in the tube.

Hoping the Senior is just a tubed presentation of the same cigar. Same Eminentes vitola. Same blend?

Hi jacksfull,

Normally, two years ago, I would have advised a Partagas Corona Seniors

compared to a Petit Coronas Especiales but today I would say that the Partagas PCE

is a richer cigar. earthy, rich leather,very dense and concentrated, notes of pepper

and toasted bread , gives a grand final to this stick.

On the other hand, today's Partagas CS is more on the woody side with notes of roasted coffee.

The cigar contents itself for the whole duration and lacks the little kick that can get a cigar moving

towards richer tastes.

Yes , these two cigars are very different indeed but I'm still hoping that the CS will

soon get it's act back together and finds it's former richness and glory.

That's my 2 Euro cents worth , I hope this helps a little ;)

Thanks MontrealRon and laficion. I appreciate the help and input.

While the answer is not what I'd hoped, I'm still intrigued. I have close to four boxes of PCE's on-hand and about to order a couple more. As mentioned, I'd hoped the Seniors would be the same. I like having some tubos around for a quick carry-out grab, and tubes seem to go over well when gifting.

Maybe adding one box of Seniors for a change-of-pace is still worthwhile? What do you think?

Or, is there something else you'd recommend in a tubed petit corona at a reasonable price?

Thanks MontrealRon and laficion. I appreciate the help and input.

While the answer is not what I'd hoped, I'm still intrigued. I have close to four boxes of PCE's on-hand and about to order a couple more. As mentioned, I'd hoped the Seniors would be the same. I like having some tubos around for a quick carry-out grab, and tubes seem to go over well when gifting.

Maybe adding one box of Seniors for a change-of-pace is still worthwhile? What do you think?

Or, is there something else you'd recommend in a tubed petit corona at a reasonable price?

Considering the reasonable price, the Seniors are still a good buy.

In the same price range are the Punch Coronations and the Upmann Coronas Major.

Both are tasty, and smoke well young.

On the milder side, Hoyo Coronations, sold in 10s and 5x3s, are another option.

The Romeo tubos seem to be more often misses than hits.

On the other hand, if you want to pay 50% more, and step out of C&C territory,

the Bolivar Tubos #2 are worth every penny of their premium.

Of course, if you keep a few empty tubes, the ease of transportation question is easily solved...

For gifting, whether for a new or an experienced smoker,

my suggestion would be the Upmann Coronas Major.