Newbie Review: Guantanamera Cristales *UPDATED*

partagasd4

UPDATE

I'd like to start by giving a big shout out to MontrealRon who kindly shipped several Guantanamera cigars to me to review. Here is an updated review of the Cristales. This one is aged and from 2003. It is part of the original release when Guantanamera was under Habanos.

4794724549_19aba3227a.jpg

Construction:

Much better: less veiny, better wrapper. Pre-cut. Band was on properly. Nice bloom and oils from age. Wrapper slightly cracked.

4794724815_a72d7f9acd.jpg

4795357816_ca39d40dc5.jpg

First thoughts:

Aroma - Same: light, pleasant tobacco smell. I would liken it to a Montecristo.

Pre Draw - Fruity, green tea. Same flavours, but better.

First Third:

Rich toasted tobacco and light pepper

Second Third:

Peppery with chocolate/coffee notes

Last Third:

Spicy with hints of dark chocolate, papery at times. Nice smokey aftertaste.

Conclusion:

This cigar was a massive improvement after the last one. The tasty flavours lasted all the way until the end. Flavour-wise, this cigar can hang out with others in the 80 range. However the construction and pieces of tobacco I had to constantly spit out were drawbacks. I would rate this cigar a 75, which is a three fold improvement of the 2010 stock. If the current stock was this good, I'd say stock up on them (The Czar sells them for about $5 a stick).

Thanks Ron! :rotfl:

Original Review: Guantanamera Cristales: Cheap, but is it Cheerful?

I'm a poor student with a lot of debt. So I am always searching for tasty, inexpensive cigars. I was at my local cigar shop and asked about an inexpensive Cuban. They showed me the Guantanamera Cristales. At one third the price of a Partagas D4, I thought it would be worth trying, even it was terrible. Cigars Review gives this one an average score of 25, so let's see if it was worth buying.

Stats:

Length: 150mm

Ring: 41

Machine made

Paired with water

The Cristales comes in a "stylish" plastic tube:

4750723822_549c988800.jpg4750724074_c7b35a509a.jpg

4750081785_99c5cbeb83.jpg

Construction:

Nothing appealing about the look of this cigar. Slightly oily, wrapper is veiny and cracked while I was smoking it. The band was not put on very well and pretty much fell off. The head was pre-cut.

4750082007_5c2023d239.jpg4750082171_9f197c0f27.jpg

First thoughts:

Aroma - light, pleasant tobacco smell. I would liken it to a Montecristo.

Pre Draw - Fruity, green tea. Good draw.

First Third:

Light toasted tobacco flavour. Tasty for such a cheap cigar.

Second Third:

Flavour changed to become more spicy, slightly earthy.

Last Third:

No real change in flavour, but more spicy. At this point I'm just waiting for it to end.

Conclusion:

If I had only smoked the first third, I would have rated it 50, or slightly better. After that, the cigar just got worse, it just lacked a good flavour. Overall, I would rate it around 25.

If anyone were to try this cigar, I'd recommend smoking the first third then putting it down. As for the price, you are much better off buying something more expensive because you can smoke the whole cigar and get your money's worth.

The Czar's Review:

"A rather standard cigar with mild notes of toasted tobacco. Ideal to give to people you don't like who may stubb it out after three draws. Don't smoke this thing yourself. For goodness sake man....have some dignity."

I bought a few of these to "gift" to a friend for sh!ts'n'grins... I went ahead and smoked one myself as well... back then CCs were still fairly new to me. I didn't mind it and I don't think that people who are use to strong blended NCs would mind them either. By your review (spicy, spicy, spicy) it seem that would still be the case. I would recommend any of the other cheapies over these.

When I went to the Bahamas earlier this year I decided to scope out a few shops. I wasn't expecting much. I thought these would be the safest thing not to be fake. But the shop wanted $10 a stick! :rotfl:

Guantanamera Cristales: Cheap, but is it Cheerful?

Conclusion:[/i]

If I had only smoked the first third, I would have rated it 50, or slightly better. After that, the cigar just got worse, it just lacked a good flavour. Overall, I would rate it around 25.

If anyone were to try this cigar, I'd recommend smoking the first third then putting it down. As for the price, you are much better off buying something more expensive because you can smoke the whole cigar and get your money's worth.

The Czar's Review:

"A rather standard cigar with mild notes of toasted tobacco. Ideal to give to people you don't like who may stubb it out after three draws. Don't smoke this thing yourself. For goodness sake man....have some dignity."

I have only ever smoked one of these (or at least part of one).......I think the above two comments verge on the extremely generous.

This is my rating.....;)

;) Well Geez - I found my Guantanamera Cristales not half bad...in fact they were down right GOOD! I don't consider myself easy to please at all, and with all the newly released fresh CC's that are coming out now, flavorless and aroma-less, I was very very happy with the well aged flavors and aromas these Cristales offered. I have a theory that for very many of the non-selling, less than popular vitolas, they've apparently had to time to age & mature in the tobacconists' stores. Sorry, but I beg to differ, the Guantan. Cristales I enjoyed were awesome. :D
  • Like 1

When I went to the Bahamas earlier this year I decided to scope out a few shops. I wasn't expecting much. I thought these would be the safest thing not to be fake. But the shop wanted $10 a stick! :huh:

That's twice what they should be charging you. :D

This is my rating.....;)

Well said, Trevor. Love your site by the way.

I have a theory that for very many of the non-selling, less than popular vitolas, they've apparently had to time to age & mature in the tobacconists' stores. Sorry, but I beg to differ, the Guantan. Cristales I enjoyed were awesome. :clap:

I think you're right about the aging. I think I might buy another one and age it just to see what happens.

Are they really handmade? I always thought they were machine-made with shortfiller tobacco.

When I went to the Cigars Review site it said it is handmade. Either way, the construction was not good, and I constantly got pieces of tobacco stuck to my lips.

When I went to the Cigars Review site it said it is handmade. Either way, the construction was not good, and I constantly got pieces of tobacco stuck to my lips.

Definately NOT handmade....NEVER handmade.

They are machine made with short filler tobacco from the "lesser" Vuelta Arriba region.

Since 2005, they are no longer made by Habanos SA.

They are made by "Internacional Cubana de Tabacos S.A." under licence to Habanos SA.

ICT makes Mini cigars i.e. machine-made cigars that weigh less than 3 grams and use short filler tobacco.

The sizes made are Mini (20 x 87), Club (24 x 93), and Puritos (26 x 106). They also made the Guantanamera and the Troya brands. (and Belinda)

Hi there, PD4, and welcome aboard!

Enjoyed your review.

If you really want to taste an aged example, PM me your mailing info.

I still have a few from the original release that are taking up valuable space. B)

Meanwhile, take a look through this forum,

and you'll find lots of suggestions as to moderately priced, but good, cigars.

Cheers,

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...