The return.

mazolaman

Most of the stuff I think of when it comes to films and books is relaxing when it comes to partnering a cigar,others might want to watch apocolypto,or read metamorphasis,but I like something slower moving with a cigar.

The Return is a Russian film about the return of a families father,after a long period of absence,no-one knows where he's been,but he seems to be up to something

,he seems to have been involved with a robbery or something.

It is from the perspective of his two children,and a lesser extent his wife.

The plot line is fairly simple,if mysterious.

It is the atmosphere of the film,provided by some excellent cinematography that makes it great.

Nice film. I used to own the DVD but lost track of it after lending it to a Russian woman with whom I used to work. She claimed to love Tarkovsky. I thought this might be a natural recommendation. I guess she liked it.

I find that many Russian (and now Iranian and Turkish) films fit the contempative mind-set rather well. Best viewed alone, with a complex cigar, gadgets turned off.

As I understand, one of the actors (I think one of the brothers) died before the premier of this film. Drowned or something.

Russian films annoy me slightly. I find the dialogue to be unnatural (though I do watch them in the original language). However, I think they offer a more realistic view of the world as opposed to Hollywood films. And they often have sad endings..

Try get a hold of "Night Watch" for an interesting and fun Russian film. For contemplative, you can try "Island". For something far out, go for "Cargo 200"

The Island sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I saw Nightwatch (or maybe it was Daywatch) at a small theater. Wasn't expecting much but I was definitely entertained. I can't remember if I read metaphorical significance into the plot (vampires and post-communism capitalists or something). Anyway. I still love Eisenstein and Tarkovsky.

Thanks for these recomendations,I'll look out for them.

if the vampires do relate to post communist capitalists,they've got plenty of source material!

I kind of prefer the films in their original language,with sub titles.

Yep,one of the kids did die before the release of the film,I think the film is dedicated to him.

You're right,alone with a good cigar,and maybe some hard liquor.

• 1 month later...

Also check out the films by Nikita Mikhalkov. Recently, he did a Russian remake of 12 Angry Men that was pretty good. My favorite is Burnt by the Sun, but I'm pretty sure it is out of print. Even though you should still be able to find it.

There is. Not sure where to find it though.

I have both Night and Daywatch on Blu Ray DVD and they are subtitled as well as dubbed.

I always watch such movies in their natural language and read the subtitles.

Great movies, Night watch was the best of both IMO and theres a third one comming sometime later this year.

I have both Night and Daywatch on Blu Ray DVD and they are subtitled as well as dubbed.

I always watch such movies in their natural language and read the subtitles.

Great movies, Night watch was the best of both IMO and theres a third one comming sometime later this year.

Yeah, you really have to watch foreign films in their original language with subtitles. Otherwise I feel you lose a good part of the movie. The only exception is the old Shaw Brothers kung fu movies from the 70's with the english dubbing. Classics!

• 2 weeks later...
The only exception is the old Shaw Brothers kung fu movies from the 70's with the english dubbing. Classics!

You have my vote there bud, love the Shaw brothers!! :lol:

- The Sacred Knives of Vengeance aka The Killer.

- The Thunderbolt fist

- The Deadly breaking sword.

- The Winged Tiger

So many classics!!!! :D:moon: