Saint Luis Rey Sere A... SOA NOV 08

I think I understand the use of stone fruit as a general descriptor - especially when the flavor might not be well defined or might be subtle.

I look at it as, let's say, stone fruit(s) as opposed to citrus. I've used citrus as a descriptor when I might not have been able to distinguish

between orange and tangerine for example, or when there has been some overlap.

colt, that is absolutely spot on. for us, stonefruit is just as much a group of fruits as citrus.

Excellent points. I suppose stone fruits have 'fleshy' characteristics with complex sweetness and lacking the bracing acidity of citrus or even an apple.

By the way, I love viognier with certain cigars. I especially like a late-harvest viognier from Cambria winery in Santa Barbara County, California. I am sure the distribution is limited but keep an eye open. The aromatic qualities are excellent and the residual sugar content is quite pleasing.

Fascinating. I've never thought of fruits with pits as somehow related, but it does make sense. It strikes me that cherries and apricots taste nothing like each other. On the other hand, manderin oranges and lemons have less in common, and I'm perfectly comfortable with calling them both 'citrus fruits', so there you go. Anyway, many thanks for another great review. I love the SLR line, and I really hope we're done with the destruction of this line. I hope the all-knowing geniuses at HSA will allow us to have these last three vitolas from this line. All three are indespensible. Of course, so was the corona.

Lol. I only know this as I used to work as an agricultural entomologist. Peaches, plums, apricots, etc. I think cherries too. Fruit with a pit or 'stone.'

Thanks for explaning that to a Pittsburgher! :confused:

Have a box from '08, november as well i think. Haven't smoked one for a few months but as i recall:

Smooth, not complex, plenty wood, background leather, only a touch of sweetness. More or less what you guys thought.

Some of the pre-06s seemed to be sweeter than this, not as hearty. I liked those better but the ones I had were all aged at least 4 years or so.

Bassman traded some oldies for some of my '08s to test the difference in blends - he might have something to say?