Another bead question

Laxman

From all the posts I have seen on FOH I decided to go with beads in my humi. My humidor is 4ft high by about 2 and half ft wide, basically a nice cabinet with a glass door. The seal seems to be solid. So I bought a pound and a half of 65 rh beads from heartfelt put them in two separate stocking like bags, I have two oust fans in there also. My top lvl and mid lvl are at 69 and my bottom is at 67. Its been about a month and I can not get it to drop any lower. The first pound of beads I tried using a hair dryer to dry them out to see if that was the problem, when that didn't work I added another half pound of beads to no avail. My beads are lightly moistened I would say maybe less then 10% of the one pound bag are clear and the half pounder maybe 5%. Granted I have always like 67 to 69 rh but wanted to try my cigars at 65. I have about 20 boxes in there at the moment and waiting for another 10 from Czar. If anyone can give me any advice on how I can get the rh down to 65ish it would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

The first bit of advice that everyone typically suggests is to make sure your hygrometer is calibrated properly (boveda packs, salt test, etc.)

I think the important thing to realize is if all your current stock has been at 67~69, there's a lot of moisture in there that has to be removed to allow your humi to even out at 65. I had the same issue with my setup (which is just a cooler). It took months for it to drop, but hopefully your cabinet will allow it to exit a little more quickly.

If you remove all the beads, does the humidity hold steady? If you leave them out for a period of time, does it drop more quickly?

The first bit of advice that everyone typically suggests is to make sure your hygrometer is calibrated properly (boveda packs, salt test, etc.)

I think the important thing to realize is if all your current stock has been at 67~69, there's a lot of moisture in there that has to be removed to allow your humi to even out at 65. I had the same issue with my setup (which is just a cooler). It took months for it to drop, but hopefully your cabinet will allow it to exit a little more quickly.

If you remove all the beads, does the humidity hold steady? If you leave them out for a period of time, does it drop more quickly?

Thanks for the help. That does make sense, I have not try to remove the beads and see how the humidity looks I will do that first. As far as the hygro's I have digital and tried to calibrate them like the directions said, I think I am ok there I have used them in other smaller units. Thanks again.

Suggestions:

Open your humidor for a while to let some of that humidity out.

Dry out some of your beads (as mentioned in previous replies)

Salt test your hygrometers

Make sure your temp is not too high, preferrably below 70F. The higher the temperature, the higher the rH.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I have taken the beads out for a day now and the rh is the same. Tested the hydro that is fine. I'll try to leave the humidor open for a bit to lower rh. My outside temp is usually around 73 degree's ac is always on so it stays there, was thinking about getting a wine cooler not sure if I want to go that route yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least its getting closer now around 67 on all three hydro's, I can live with that. Have had the beads out for two weeks now. Guess when I seasoned the humidor and all the humidity sucked up by the cigars kept the rh a bit high. Thanks for the help!