Thoughts on 08 PSD4

Last year I got a 10 count box of Partagas SD4 (PUB NOV 08) as a birthday gift from a good friend. I have loved smoking young D4s from early 2000s as I felt it brought the personality of Partagas more than any cigar (until I tried Connie 2).

However after trying a couple of the cigars from this particular box sometime around May and August last year, I found they were unnaproachable. Bitter, tannic, muted flavours...

Tonight I decided to give these guys another go. Even though the first one I tried had to be tossed since it was unsmokably plugged, most of the bitterness was gone. The cigar showed that white and black pepper through the nose character as well as some leathery/almonds notes (very Partagas Shorts-like). However it was one-dimensional throughout the entire experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the cigar, I would rate it 88...

Now I know it is a young cigar and I should let it sit for another 3 or 4 years. But what are your thoughts on 08 PSD4s? Is it my palate that developed into something more demanding in terms of flavour or the cigar that became a shadow of what it is supposed to be (a premium Partagas)?

The 2008 PSD4's I've sampled have been true to the Partagas profile. Young, they display a woody core, fresh tobacco sweetness, cinnamon spice, and black pepper. I have found that D4's rolled since 2006 seem more approachable than the D4's of old, although they don't smoke quite as well when young. Not as much of that fresh tobacco sweetness, and cracked black pepper. I attribute this to the use of more aged fillers.

Just for fun, see if you can't get a box of D4's with a late '09 boxcode, or better yet, an early '10 box. Smoke 'em after only a few weeks of humidor time, and see what you think.

Funny, I just smoked an 09 this morning and was about to post in the "daily smoke" thread until I saw this. I've had a box resting for a couple of months and decided to try one today. I got a lot cinnamon, nutmeg, and paprika flavors out of this cigar. The aroma was wonderful and the draw perfect. It started to get bitter toward the end, so I put it down. I've only had a few of PSD4's out of this box and they were good, but they didn't compare to the one today.

My experience in the main with 08 D4's has been highly positive. I get to sample many from different box codes. Still a number of duds but overall I can't remember a better year for D4's in the last 10.

There was definitely some cinammon in my 08. However most of it was shadowed by the peppery taste, which I really enjoy when smoking Partagas. Nonetheless I could benefit from a little more flavour complexity, albeit my palate is not sophisticated enough! :clap: