2000 Diplomaticos #1......

I posted a week ago about a box of Diplomaticos #1 that I received, after being told I was getting a box from 2001, the vender (NOT the fine folks at Czar!) sent me a box of 2000s instead! All is sorted out there, I have been told that the proper box from 2001 is on its way, and this box from 2000 is now mine at a hefty discount. At any rate, I noted that I would be stupid not to try a cigar from the box before condemning it.

No pictures here, I actually smoked the one cigar I took a picture of originally when I posted about this box.

A short review, and you'll see why....

Pre Light - The aroma of this cigar is pretty faint, mostly of aged tobacco. I clipped the cap easily, and took a draw - easy, with a hint of sweet tobacco. Nothing to prepare me for what lay ahead....

What Lay ahead - Nothin'. This cigar was a nothing for the first half of the smoke. :thumbsup: It was like smoking flavourless paper. Smooth, but only because there was no taste to indicate anything but smoothness. I would have liked SOMETHING...and I got nothing. Around mid-point, I took a deep draw, and was finally rewarded with a tart cocoa taste, with hints of coffee. It's about bloody time! For the remainder of this cigar, I would occasionally note these same flavours again, but too often it regressed into nothingness, now with some harshness to the finish. I did not nub, tossing it with 1.5 Inches to go.

In the end, I should have waited longer. Forgive me, Chenman! I will wait a solid 3 weeks more before taking out another one for a test drive, it's possible I just went too early with this cigar, it's only been in the humi for about 8-9 days. It drew pretty well, with only a little tightness, and the burn was very even, it was just bland as hell. I'd give it an 82, and thats only because of those nice hints i got in the middle of it. 75, otherwise.

I really hope the next cigars from this box pick it up. In the meantime, after one smoke, 2000 = :king:

I really hope the next cigars from this box pick it up. In the meantime, after one smoke, 2000 = :thumbsup:

I've no experience with Dips of that vintage, but have smoked my share of cigars that fit that description. Alas, they usually are what they are -

cardboard and air. Personally, I might not blame the vintage itself - I've an '00 box of Upmann Sir Winstons which are fantastic flavor-wise

(construction.......). It's possible the Dips were not properly rolled (blended) to begin with, in which case no amount of aging will help.

It's also possible that they are past peak - well past. Some cigars just don't have the legs for the long haul. I had opportunity today to smoke an

'06 Hoyo Epicure No.1. All from this box have been excellent, and this one no different. Interestingly enough, I thought to myself that these are

more than likely already near or at their best, and probably have little to gain with long term aging. Just as well, I've but five left from this box.

Thanks for the review, and let us know about the '01s (and follow up '00s)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this amigo. This is Cuban quality control. I have had more than one box like this, just dead cigars. I had some LGC Sabrosos. Yeah... likely you never heard of them. I wish I had not either!!! -LOL

The way cigars are boxed lends me some hope.

Hold on. Don't let that first cigar turn you off. About two years ago I purchased quite a few boxes from 99-01. When I first got them I thought they were going to blow my mind. I would say all of them sucked. Same experience as you. But I let them sit for about two months and they started to come around. Out of the ten boxes only one box still has no flavor. I would take that box and put it away for a few months and then try one.

Good luck

Thank you

Sorry to hear this amigo. This is Cuban quality control. I have had more than one box like this, just dead cigars. I had some LGC Sabrosos. Yeah... likely you never heard of them. I wish I had not either!!! -LOL

The way cigars are boxed lends me some hope.

I also had the Sabrosas, 2001 and they were amazeing. A bit on the spicey side ,but not 1 bad cigar in the box

SECOND TRY!

Yesterday, with the last day of a 4 day weekend proving to be a decent weather day, I headed over to a friend's house to give the Diplo #1 from 2000 another go. It's been in the humi over a month now - I hope that it's found some kind of stride!

Prelight - sweet tobacco. Pretty basic, unintrusive aroma. Prelight draw is fine.

First couple of puffs - nothing much going on....UH OH!

First third - Whoa, hold on a minute! Is that flavour? :2thumbs: The Dip 1 starts to come to life, as I notice coffee flavours mixed in with the aged tobacco notes. There is no harshness, no paprika spice - but definite coffee. Not half bad!

Middle third - Continuing to deliver coffee notes, this cigar remains consistent in flavour, but now begins to require relighting, as maybe I'm talking to much as I smoke (my friend is like I am - always looking to learn more about cigars, and I am happy to obliged and point him towards FOH!). The draw remains fine, not too tight or loose, I am thinking it's a combination of too much chat and maybe some fire-proof-wrapper syndrome. The burn, while reasonably even, does become erratic at mid-point.

Final third - Requiring regular relighting, this cigar is saved by the fact that it's still smoking like a cup of coffee, delivering the odd sweet note to accompany the java. My friend's cigar burns like a dream, requiring no re-lighting....luck of the draw. Like I told him - I'll re-light it all day if it's gonna taste this good!

Overall - Well, shut my mouth - there may be some hope for these much-maligned 2000's after all. The Coffee taste, while pretty much the only consistent flavour here, made this a tasty smoke, and certain worthy of sticking with it even though it kept going out. The burn......what can I say. The wrapper was near-fireproof for the 2nd half. The draw never suffered though!

Rating - I give this a solid 87 - lost a point because of the re-lighting. Time to give it a few months to see how its spots change again! My next Dip 1 to smoke is gonna be the Resin-covered ones anyway!

Drink accompaniment - Johnny Walker Gold. I took a page from Ken's book and suggested my friend keep it in the freezer in future. Decent whiskey for sure.

Ahh great news to see the 00's back on song (we always had faith :huh: ) Interesting about the burn though, what's the box press like on these? Cheers for the review mate, never had a Diplo from this era although I always have an eye out for a box or two!

Ahh great news to see the 00's back on song (we always had faith :huh: ) Interesting about the burn though, what's the box press like on these? Cheers for the review mate, never had a Diplo from this era although I always have an eye out for a box or two!

I am pleased too that they weren't a waste after all! The box press on them is rather pronounced, as you'll remember from the picture I posted of the box from 2000, these are pretty pressed - that said, the draw was not problematic at all.

I also had the Sabrosas, 2001 and they were amazeing. A bit on the spicey side ,but not 1 bad cigar in the box

Now that's a cigar I'd buy again- if I could find any.