Chiropractic care

So I've been having a lot of back pains recently, the worst lasting for literally weeks on end, and I'm thinking about going to see a chiropractor. My family has a history of spine problems and my pelvis is lower on one side, causing my spine to twist to compensate.

What are your thoughts on chiropractors? Some people seem really for it, others look at it like some form of voodoo witch doctoring.

So I've been having a lot of back pains recently, the worst lasting for literally weeks on end, and I'm thinking about going to see a chiropractor. My family has a history of spine problems and my pelvis is lower on one side, causing my spine to twist to compensate.

What are your thoughts on chiropractors? Some people seem really for it, others look at it like some form of voodoo witch doctoring.

You may have scoliosis, one leg may be slightly shorter, endless possibilities. I suggest starting with your family physician and possibly an orthopedic consult. People continue going to chiropracters for a lifetime of adjustments, seems like a massage parlor would be a better investment.

Personally, I've the opposite opinion. I've had back problems going back to childhood after being run over by a car. Been in the hospital a few times for it. The key is exercise and stretching. I try to stretch at least twice a day and keep up on the exercise, but sometimes despite my best efforts the pain returns. I find that going to a chiropractor gives me pretty quick relief. More effective than a deep tissue massage. While it certainly is not a fix all, or long time solution, but it does serve its purpose in allowing you to return to a better quality of life more quickly. Acupuncture I have found can work as well. Longer lasting results, but it is also a longer process.

I say if it works go for it, it is still considered alternative medicine, but like I said if it will provide you relief then give it a shot. Definately have it evaluated by an orthopedist to make sure there aren't any pinched nerves, scoliosis (as cadillacdoc), and any other back deformities etc.

I would never, under any circumstances, visit a chiropractor. Quackery; pure quackery. I've had some chronic neck pain. Stretching is the key. You might want to think about taking up Yoga.

I fully agree, and they are not regulated like REAL doctors. Be careful! A lifetime of chiro is not the answer. Stretch and exercise will more than likely do the trick. There are no quick fixes, plus excessive manipulations/subluxations of the spine (and especially neck) can cause further serious damage (especially to the nerve cluster coming from your cervical spine which run down your brachial plexus, possibly causing degenerative nerve damage or partial paralysis.

Try strengthening your base muscles in your body, along with cardio workouts. But that's just a PA's point of view. Always discuss with your physician first, and get the facts from a person who studies the entire body, not just the spine.

Personally, I've the opposite opinion. I've had back problems going back to childhood after being run over by a car. Been in the hospital a few times for it. The key is exercise and stretching. I try to stretch at least twice a day and keep up on the exercise, but sometimes despite my best efforts the pain returns. I find that going to a chiropractor gives me pretty quick relief. More effective than a deep tissue massage. While it certainly is not a fix all, or long time solution, but it does serve its purpose in allowing you to return to a better quality of life more quickly. Acupuncture I have found can work as well. Longer lasting results, but it is also a longer process.

Same with me (except that I flew out of a car at highway speeds). Chiro isn't a one-and-done kinda thing, but my rate of recovery greatly increased as soon as I began going to one. I still go once a month for a tune-up; I couldn't imagine what my back would be like if I hadn't gone.

I'm a big fan of chiro. I have had a couple occasions of pinched nerves in the past and the doctor just gave me pills (pain and muscle relaxant) and basically told me to piss off. The chiro fixed them both times. He's also damned good at intercepting migraines if I can get to him in time when I feel the precursors building up.

I drove a truck for a couple of years and pounded the hell out of my spine and hips, to the point where one hip was lower than the other and I walked a little bit "off". He put it to rights. I would also point out that he also is constantly saying "If I have to have you in here once a month for the rest of your life I'm doing things wrong. My goal is to fix you up so you don't HAVE to keep coming back". To that end, I used to go regularly (once a week initially with the pinched nerves, crooked hips, etc) and he slowly backed me off to once every 2 weeks, then once a month, then once every 6 months. I haven't been back in several years now and I'm doing splendidly but I know if I get jacked up again *exactly* who I will go to in order to fix it up again.

Chiropractors are just like MDs in that there are quacks and there are good ones, the trick is to find a good one and not a pill-pushing quack who will do you more harm than good. Giving them a global bad rap and painting them all with the "quackery" paintbrush is shortsighted and naive.

-- Gary F.

trying it can't hurt

It most certainly can. I've heard too many stories of folks that submitted themselves to this voodoo and ended up far worse off than when they started. See a good orthopedist, get in better more flexible shape, and you'll be much better off.

I was the biggest skeptic of Chiro. I thought it was quackery. I had a bad, BAD, case of sciatica a few years back. It was a killer. I went to my regular doctor that prescribed anti inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxers then physical therapy... it didn't work. As a last option I went to see a chiropractor. And while I thought there was a lot of BS involved, I'll be damned if his 'adjustments' didn't work! Now I don't go to him any more, I stretch as much as I can and my problem is under control, but I couldn't find an alternative to give me the same results.

Just don't sign up for the monthly plan, where they want you to pay to come in for regular adjustments. To me that's one of their practices I just don't like.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I have a herniated disc in my lower back that I used to see a chiropractor for. He did help, but by using various stretching techniques I learned from my chiropractor and my trainer, I no longer need to visit him. So I guess I agree with everybody?

Maybe I should run for president.

It most certainly can. I've heard too many stories of folks that submitted themselves to this voodoo and ended up far worse off than when they started. See a good orthopedist, get in better more flexible shape, and you'll be much better off.

It's just like any other profession; you have good ones and bad ones. That being said, I'm not aware of anyone having a 'horror story'. Do you know these people personally, or are these urban legands?

Like a lot of people already said, chiropractors are a quick fix to get you mobile again but won’t fix the problem permanently. For me, the best thing I did for my back was to get more active & stay on top of my stretching in the problem areas. I sit at a desk all day so my lower back gets abused and if I don't stretch my back & legs, I pay for. Sometimes when my back fel my back getting annoyed, I can fix the problem in a couple of days by just stretching.

Good Luck

x

I'm a big fan of chiro. I have had a couple occasions of pinched nerves in the past and the doctor just gave me pills (pain and muscle relaxant) and basically told me to piss off. The chiro fixed them both times. He's also damned good at intercepting migraines if I can get to him in time when I feel the precursors building up.

I drove a truck for a couple of years and pounded the hell out of my spine and hips, to the point where one hip was lower than the other and I walked a little bit "off". He put it to rights. I would also point out that he also is constantly saying "If I have to have you in here once a month for the rest of your life I'm doing things wrong. My goal is to fix you up so you don't HAVE to keep coming back". To that end, I used to go regularly (once a week initially with the pinched nerves, crooked hips, etc) and he slowly backed me off to once every 2 weeks, then once a month, then once every 6 months. I haven't been back in several years now and I'm doing splendidly but I know if I get jacked up again *exactly* who I will go to in order to fix it up again.

Chiropractors are just like MDs in that there are quacks and there are good ones, the trick is to find a good one and not a pill-pushing quack who will do you more harm than good. Giving them a global bad rap and painting them all with the "quackery" paintbrush is shortsighted and naive.

-- Gary F.

x2. The lack of regulation here in the US allows a lot of quacks to practice, but there most certainly are some really highly skilled doctors in this field. I've met both kinds.

I have always thought the whole profession to be BS. My wife went to one and she said it helped her so i had doubt about my paradigm. I then had one visit me as a dental patient and I came right out and challenged him about the benefits of his treatments. We both were civil and he claimed to have success. Last year during a very stressful time I developed more than my average neck pain and went to see him. After a course of therapy I was much improved and saw benefits.

If you have the ailment they treat it works. I would not go to them for a dental abcess, come and see me.LOL. I mean hell the witch doctors and voodoo help some doesn't it?????????

• 1 month later...

If you have severe back pain, I'd suggest you find a good Chiro and have scans before any work on your back to ensure it is indeed something a chiropractor can work on. You will find that this will not be a one off visit but may require several visits to work on the same area.

Having said the above, once you have been to one and the treatment is over, I would suggest regular exercise where stretching is involved and also work on the areas to ensure your core muscles develop which ensures back support.

Maybe look at what may have caused your back to go out in the first instance. Heavy lifting, awkward movement or even something simple as needing to replace your bed mattress.

Get some good referrals from people you trust. That goes for any professional/quasi professional or otherwise. If your mechanic can't sort out your car you will change mechanics until you find one who can. You never actually believe mechanics 100% either. They all have a vested interest. Your relationship depends on what % you trust them...but 100%?...it would need to be Christ himself.

Treat medico's (and every other profession) the same. Plenty of good people out there, plenty of incompetent pricks as well. Don't get stuck with one of them for any length of time.

I've not had positive experiences with chiropractors. On the other hand, I've had great sucess with Physiotherapists. It was a physiotherapist that got down to the root cause of my sciatica and gave me the exercises to fix it when the Chiropractor completely missed it.

I've had good experiences. When I was about 11 I was a wheezie sickly little kid. Getting medication for asthma helped a little but the chiro sorted me out over about 2 months. Stopped all meds, never had asthma type symptoms since but find I need a good adjustment of the middle to higher back about every 8 weeks or so to keep me feeling fit. I now run most mornings and stretch exercise and find after an adjustment my circulation works better, sometimes even my eyesight seems better :cigar:

Mind you, there are chiros out there who get a little too fervent and claim they can cure shingles or whatever, that really is pushing it. :angry:

The key is to find a good one.

Find a chiropractor that actually went to college, not just one who is 'certified'.

I've had both good experiences, and bad. I had one chiropractor who flat out was trying to scam my insurance company. I had another one that really worked with me on stretches, being more healthy about how I approach my activities (like snowboarding), and made a HUGE difference. 2 months with him cleared up years of backpain, and I've felt great ever since.

So I guess long story short - it can be a great experience, but as with all things - buyer beware.