Leaking humidifier

Freddy

This morning I opened my desk humidor only to find (with horror) that the humidifier, attached to the lid, was leaking; several Cohiba robustos placed right under the leaking humidifier were partly soaking wet. I immediately removed the humidifier (now replaced with beads) and took out the affected cigars to dry out. Once dry I'll put them back in the humidor.

My question: once the cigars are dry will their taste and quality be affected?

I would think that they should be okay if what dripped on them was distilled water. I've tried the wetting the cigar trick under a faucet, and have noticed that water beads on the wrapper leaf...while it does eventually soak in...unless they were drenched I think they will dry out fine. My only concern would be that the cigar/wrapper would have cracked after abosorbing too much water, but if that did not happen...dry box them and see how they smoke.

I would think that they should be okay if what dripped on them was distilled water. I've tried the wetting the cigar trick under a faucet, and have noticed that water beads on the wrapper leaf...while it does eventually soak in...unless they were drenched I think they will dry out fine. My only concern would be that the cigar/wrapper would have cracked after abosorbing too much water, but if that did not happen...dry box them and see how they smoke.

Thanks. Yes, it was distilled water, and only part of each cigar was affected. I see no wrapper cracks.

Now I have a question for you: why did you put your cigars under the faucet? What were you trying to find out?

Thanks. Yes, it was distilled water, and only part of each cigar was affected. I see no wrapper cracks.

Now I have a question for you: why did you put your cigars under the faucet? What were you trying to find out?

There was a post here last year about running a little water over your cigar before smoking when the weather is dry. Supposedly it was to give the cigar a better burn and prevent cracking while smoking it. I was reluctant to do it at first, but smoking outdoors during Northeast winters is less than ideal and I was getting a lot of cracked wrappers. I decided to give it a try and it actually worked. The key of course is to not over do it. I don't engage in this practice regularly as some people do. But, when it is extremely dry and cold out, I do use this technique now. Actually, Min Ron Nee in his book also refers to this technique. Hope that answers your question.

There was a post here last year about running a little water over your cigar before smoking when the weather is dry. Supposedly it was to give the cigar a better burn and prevent cracking while smoking it. I was reluctant to do it at first, but smoking outdoors during Northeast winters is less than ideal and I was getting a lot of cracked wrappers. I decided to give it a try and it actually worked. The key of course is to not over do it. I don't engage in this practice regularly as some people do. But, when it is extremely dry and cold out, I do use this technique now. Actually, Min Ron Nee in his book also refers to this technique. Hope that answers your question.

Yes it answers my question.

And, since I also smoke outside, in the cold of Central Park, the leaking humidifier may have been a good thing :lol:

I had that happen to me one time, I let the cigars dried out in my humi, wrappers never cracked & once the cigar moisture went back to normal, they smoked fine & I wasn’t able to notice any flavor difference. You should be fine.