Humidity too high with new beads

reg

I used to have a couple of those gel jars in my humidor, and they kept levels are a pretty constant 64%. Problem was, they were too small for the humi, since they were supposed to be 70%, though I didn't mind because I didn't want the humidity that high anyway. So I've replaced them with 65% beads, but my humidity has been slightly above 70% for the last 3 or so days since I've put them in. I'm not sure what might be causing the problem. I have a decent amount of beads in there, and I was under the impression that they absorbed/released water depending on the humidity, so I'm not sure why it would ever be over-humidified? Any help would be much appreciated! I'm using an analog hygrometer which I'm pretty sure is accurate

Reg...first thing I would to would be to recalibrate your analog humi. Personally, I prefer digital...they are for the most part far more accurate with a smaller +/- factor in my experience. Of course...nothing is perfect. The beads should work better than your jars, but beads do take longer to create a stable environment so you may need to be more patient. It could be that the beads you put in were hydrated too much, and therefore are not able to reabsorb the excess mositure in the air. If that is the case...take the beads out and dry them a bit with a hair dryer.

The beads I use are 65% beads. They work so well that I dont even put a hygro in my humi anymore.. I just check it once a month or so and add water when needed. The beads are most likely doing the right thing. Be careful not to overfill the beads it should be 50/50 dry/wet once the distilled water has fully integrated into the beads, nothing more. If the beads are too saturated they will elevate your humidity as they will attempt to equalize themselves.

just getting worse, I have no idea how, even with added dry beads. anyway, I did recalibrate the hygro and its pretty much dead on. so I've taken out most of the beads and only left about a third of the original beads, which were possibly oversaturated, and about an equal amount of the dry. we'll see how it looks tomorrow and I'll dry off the other beads and slowly add them back

I used to have a couple of those gel jars in my humidor, and they kept levels are a pretty constant 64%. Problem was, they were too small for the humi, since they were supposed to be 70%, though I didn't mind because I didn't want the humidity that high anyway. So I've replaced them with 65% beads, but my humidity has been slightly above 70% for the last 3 or so days since I've put them in. I'm not sure what might be causing the problem. I have a decent amount of beads in there, and I was under the impression that they absorbed/released water depending on the humidity, so I'm not sure why it would ever be over-humidified? Any help would be much appreciated! I'm using an analog hygrometer which I'm pretty sure is accurate

I hade a similar issue. I over saturated my beads. It took about 3-4 days before the humidity stabilized at 65 rh. Good luck.

ok, the hygro is accurate. humidor full of dry beads and I can't get lower than 68% lol. its really bugging me. maybe I calibrated incorrectly :/

Beads work slowly...could be the cigars have a bit too much humidity. Give it a few days to acclimate. Beads work very slowly.

Beads work slowly...could be the cigars have a bit too much humidity. Give it a few days to acclimate. Beads work very slowly.

:potty: trying to wait patiently lol. thanks for the motivation

Yeah give it a few days, when I first started with the beads, I completely soaked all of them...talk about oversaturation. I was using 60% rh beads, and my digital hygro was in the 70s. But now everything works perfect.

ok what I did this morning was air out the humi for a little while and then closed it back up. we have slowly gotten to dead on 65%! Now, if it stays there till tomorrow I will be extremely happy!

It should stay pretty close...there are obviously fluctuations over time even if you don't open it, but +/- 2 Rh either way won't be a big deal.

Glad it came back down. You'll also have to figure out how much to wet the beads when it comes time, but that's part of the fun. Let them do their thing and you should be set. FWIW, the RH in my humis spike after I charge mine, but it eventually comes back down to where I like it. :rolleyes: