Wiping Down the Cedar?

reg

Do boxes/cedar absorb and retain some water even if you don't wipe them down with distilled water? If I am adding some boxes to my humi, is there any need to wipe em down, or will they eventually adjust inside the box on their own?

I would say no need to wipe the boxes down as they will absorb the humidity over time, but I am no expert. I haven't wiped any of my boxes down unless they happen to be dirty for some reason.

No...don't wipe down with water. There is no need and if you do you will have potential for mold growth. The humid air inside the humidor is enough. Also, most cigars that come in are usually more humid than those in my humidor. There have been many a time that my humidity spikes for a few days when new cigars are introduced.

Definitely do not wipe them down. Big no no. Brings on serious risk of mold. If propery humdificied your humidor/cooledor will do the work on its own just fine. Any variation in Rh should be temporary as the environment works to stabilize itself again.

• 2 months later...

guy that sold the humidor to me insisted to wipe the humidor for me.... now my box is too humid (76%) and i need to spend more money to buy beads.

fill your humidifier, wait for a few days, if its still dry then put a saucer filled with distill water and let it sit for a few days again. You cannot rush when seasoning a humidor