johnny walker gold

Ken Gargett

On my way back from Dominican Rep a couple of yrs ago, I was able to pick up a bottle from duty free for 35 USD. Needless to say, I picked up 3-4 bottles. I found it to be more of a desert-ish drink, with a sweet finish. Personally I like single malts better, but if I had to choose Johnny Walker, I'd pick the green label.

called work, colt. feel free to try it some time.

Yeah, you do work hard......

roll out of bed at the crack of noon,

throw on a pair of board shorts,

grab a t shirt from the dirty pile on the floor,

stop and check to see that the chimney hasn't toppled over,

wheel yourself out to the deck to begin drinking working,

call Ayala to see what cigars you can grift him out of in the name of "work"

Rough.

Yeah, you do work hard......

roll out of bed at the crack of noon,

throw on a pair of board shorts,

grab a t shirt from the dirty pile on the floor,

stop and check to see that the chimney hasn't toppled over,

wheel yourself out to the deck to begin drinking working,

call Ayala to see what cigars you can grift him out of in the name of "work"

Rough.

oh how you do me an injustice.

1. of late, roll out of bed at 5.30am. seems that the quacks expect me to do some daily exercise (actually, extra to the usual) to compensate for my lifestyle, which they all acknowledge to be a grinding round of battling against the possible injustices humanity can inflict upon itself. i mean, how could i, in all good conscience, look in the mirror if i had allowed someone to drink sauv blanc without doing my best to save them.

2. you'd rather me naked?

3. the undies are kept on the floor. it is a sign of my ever-increasing maturity that shirts now make the drawer (unless i happen to be near the dirty clothes pile in which case, recycling is the new black).

4. too hot. tasting done in kitchen.

5. outrageous. prepare for arrival of prez in order that he may dodge contact with his family again and plunder my cellar - though this latest fad of non-drinking has meant i have seen less of him. on occasions he is kind enough to compensate me with a second or a only-partly plugged cigar.

rough, indeed.

On my way back from Dominican Rep a couple of yrs ago, I was able to pick up a bottle from duty free for 35 USD. Needless to say, I picked up 3-4 bottles. I found it to be more of a desert-ish drink, with a sweet finish. Personally I like single malts better, but if I had to choose Johnny Walker, I'd pick the green label.

i'm interested in your timing as the info they forwarded said it was only first released in nov 09. perhaps they were trialling it in some markets.

i've tried it and i must say, as good as it is, i'd be inclined to go with the green as well. but i certainly don't get the sweet note you mentioned. possibly we have different blends??

It's been available for quite a while up here in Canada.

I've seen all 5 Red-Black-Green-Gold-Blue on the shelves here for years.

Never tried the Gold though. Black does well enough for me, and I prefer Chivas when I go for blended Scotch anyway.

Still havn't found a better Single Malt than Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban lately.......

Ken..

I've been drinking JW Gold in the states for at least 3 or 4 years now. I always have a bottle of it on hand. It has a much different profile than the other JW blends. And I agree with the comment earlier that it is very suitable for desserts. Regardless of whether served with dessert or not, I usually only serve up the Gold Label to my guests after dinner. I also store my bottles in the freezer, and serve it to guests ice cold, like I do vodka. The taste of the JW Gold differs quite dramtically, as you might imagine between room temperature and ice cold. I enjoy it much more cold as it brings out a more honeyed flavor...almost like nectar. Give it a try. I think you just might enjoy it...and yes...serving it on the rocks vs. coming out of the freezer is still vastly different in terms of taste.

It is definitely much different than other JW blends. They market it using terms like "honey" and "cream" and I am not too sure about that but I am just not a fan. In my limited experience with it I get too much of something sweet (maybe toffee) that I just don't look for in a whisky. I LOVE Black, can tolerate Red, ho-hum about Green, and occasionally REALLY enjoy blue. I would probably never buy Gold again but I think its one of those things where you either "get it!!!" or "don't get it???".

thechenman,

Thanks for the inspiration. I've had a bottle of this sitting around for a little while now, but never even thought of what it would be like to try ice-cold. Into the freezer she'll go tonight when I get home.

Queensland is a bit behind the rest of the world... but I'm glad you finally have JW Gold available to you.

I bought my first bottle a couple of years ago and loved it from the first taste - elegant, smooth, flavourful and an excellent finish. I've seen it for as much as $170 AUD and as low as $125 AUD. Duty free runs at about $110 for a 1 litre bottle.

thechenman,

Thanks for the inspiration. I've had a bottle of this sitting around for a little while now, but never even thought of what it would be like to try ice-cold. Into the freezer she'll go tonight when I get home.

Hope you liked it...

Well I put my bottle in the freezer and came back to it a couple of hours later.

It was a completely different experience. Pouring it into the glass was like pouring honey - it was so thick. The taste was radically different as well. It was so sweet, it was almost sickly (at least to me).

I'm glad I've tried it at least, as I had no idea that something as simple as this could result in such a different profile. For the Gold Label, I don't think I'll be taking this approach again, but I am now going to have to look at my other bottles and start experimenting.

Nick.

Well I put my bottle in the freezer and came back to it a couple of hours later.

It was a completely different experience. Pouring it into the glass was like pouring honey - it was so thick. The taste was radically different as well. It was so sweet, it was almost sickly (at least to me).

I'm glad I've tried it at least, as I had no idea that something as simple as this could result in such a different profile. For the Gold Label, I don't think I'll be taking this approach again, but I am now going to have to look at my other bottles and start experimenting.

Nick.

Nick...

Sorry to hear that it did not do it for you. I like the thickness and sweetness of the Gold Label out of the freezer as it is so different from the standard. Well...glad you tried it.