Quintero Brevas

rahko

These cigars, made from the finest second best acceptable almost good Cuban leaf were carefully aged dumped in the back of the humidor for four years. Tried some fresh in '05, and found them to be harsh and tannic, the very first one being different in that it had kind of a fruity, almost syrupy sweetness that completely overpowered the harshness. This may be characteristic of them very fresh, I don't know, that taste was not found since, which is a shame becouse I did enjoy it very much.

Four years on, all the harshness is gone, and the taste is now a mixture of dry hay, lemongrass and anise, with the slightest touch of spice increasing towards the end. Now, I don't mean to pass judgement, but dear god that's an offensive taste.

In some reviews cigars are comapred to women, and indeed here the analogy on cheap women seems kind of appropriate. Again, this should not be taken as judgemental, but only in the sense that where one might lack enjoyment, they are at least bound to have interesting times.

These cigars, made from the finest second best acceptable almost good Cuban leaf were carefully aged dumped in the back of the humidor for four years. Tried some fresh in '05, and found them to be harsh and tannic, the very first one being different in that it had kind of a fruity, almost syrupy sweetness that completely overpowered the harshness. This may be characteristic of them very fresh, I don't know, that taste was not found since, which is a shame becouse I did enjoy it very much.

Four years on, all the harshness is gone, and the taste is now a mixture of dry hay, lemongrass and anise, with the slightest touch of spice increasing towards the end. Now, I don't mean to pass judgement, but dear god that's an offensive taste.

In some reviews cigars are comapred to women, and indeed here the analogy on cheap women seems kind of appropriate. Again, this should not be taken as judgemental, but only in the sense that where one might lack enjoyment, they are at least bound to have interesting times.

And so they can be thus !LOL!

You can tell good batches and bad batches of Quintero Brevas from the aroma and wrapper. Some are strikinglygood and resemble in wrapper and aroma a R&J Cazadores. Others are blech in both areas.

***Thank you, atonal. When I saw this article some days back about favorite C & C's...the FIRST cigar that came to mind was the Quintero Brevas. Then the Jose L. Piedras, that DESPITE the unflattering video coverage of it is NOT a bad smoke.

***Thank you, atonal. When I saw this article some days back about favorite C & C's...the FIRST cigar that came to mind was the Quintero Brevas. Then the Jose L. Piedras, that DESPITE the unflattering video coverage of it is NOT a bad smoke.

I have nearly finished my first of two boxes of '04 Quintero Brevas,

and also have two boxes of '06, still untouched.

Though my experience is limited, the '04s have been excellent,

with good draws, and a pleasant taste.

The recent ones have been the best, so aging must be doing some good.

I think I'll open an '06 next, and leave the other '04 to rest for a few more years.

It's probably also time to order some fresh ones, for the long term.

If anyone has MRN's book, check his comments on this cigar - most interesting.

Of course, according to him, there is no such thing as a bad Cuban cigar...

As to the JLP's, I have only smoked a 5-pack of the Petit Caz, but they were really poor,

and quite atypical of the marca's profile.

Unfortunately, the only loser was chosen for the video review.

(and I mean the cigar, not the smokers!).