Short Filler 101

axmncg

Short filler (aka Tripa Corta or TC) is chopped up tobacco ... but that's ALL I know about it. I'm hoping members will post here and that a detailed understanding of all things short filler will emerge.

Questions I have include:

Where does all this short filler come from? Is it the trimmed bits from rolling? Do some farms only grow tobacco destined for TC? Does a factory gather together an entire days' scraps, chop it all up together into a "blend" and produce a TC cigar? Is the Por Laranaga Panetelas (which is TC) made from PL scrap tobacco? How does the filler in the 3 TC brands differ from one another and from the machine-mades? Are the wrappers used on TC also used on other vitolas? Would wrapper have a greater influence on TC flavor/strength than on than long filler?

I would assume that the wrapper does determine a great deal of the flavor experienced with TC cigars just as it does with all others. The quality, color, etc. of the wrapper is always paramount. I have had LFDC Selectos with claro and colorado maduro wrappers that have tasted remarkably different even though the body remained light in both. The darker examples smoke better IMHO esp. with TC sticks.

Short filler (aka Tripa Corta or TC) is chopped up tobacco ... but that's ALL I know about it. I'm hoping members will post here and that a detailed understanding of all things short filler will emerge.

Where does all this short filler come from? Is it the trimmed bits from rolling? Do some farms only grow tobacco destined for TC? Does a factory gather together an entire days' scraps, chop it all up together into a "blend" and produce a TC cigar? Is the Por Laranaga Panetelas (which is TC) made from PL scrap tobacco? How does the filler in the 3 TC brands differ from one another and from the machine-mades? Are the wrappers used on TC also used on other vitolas? Would wrapper have a greater influence on TC flavor/strength than on than long filler?

It is graded (full leaf) prior and again post fermentation. My understanding is TC destined leaf baled as such (specific grading) post fermentation.

You would have leaf destined for TC from differing centres/regions.

I will follow this up when in Havana so that I can be clear.

It is graded (full leaf) prior and again post fermentation. My understanding is TC destined leaf baled as such (specific grading) post fermentation.

You would have leaf destined for TC from differing centres/regions.

I will follow this up when in Havana so that I can be clear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I believe selected trimmings do also go into this, within the marcas (ie - R&J trimmings to R&J tc, etc.).

I'm not 100% on this, but that's what I believe I saw the last time I was in Cuba, and on a factory tour. This was at the La Corona factory. They were collecting all the trimmings/cuttings, and as long as it wasn't bad/garbage, the guide said it would be reused for short-filler machine made stuff, and/or in domestic cigars/cigarettes.