RyJ tin-box

mkz

Recently aquired this qute little tin-box...

Unfortunately I dont know jack about it. Someone got a clue?

What vitola used to be in it (unfortunately it is empty)?

Is it pre or post revolution?

/Mikael

post-2756-1234531758.jpg

post-2756-1234531777.jpg

post-2756-1234531807.jpg

I've no idea if this is what you have, but I've read that the RyJ Plateados de Romeo came in aluminum packs of five cigars.

There were two sizes - marevas and petit cetros. I've read in one place that they came in boxes of twenty five, five packs to a box.

According to Trevor's site, they began production pre 1960, and were discontinued some time in the 1980s. I hope someone can

shed more light on the subject - it's an interesting piece.

This packaging is shown in MRN's book page 278. The photo is from the 1962 Cubatabaco catalogue, so likely available both pre & post.

And as an afterthought, because of the Made in Habana - Cuba written in English, it should be 1962 or earlier.

Latter found to be incorrect.....see later post

And as an afterthought, because of the Made in Habana - Cuba written in English, it should be 1962 or earlier.

My thought too...

I´m with Colt on the box´s old inhabitants and go for the Plateados de Romeo...(?)

Correct they are R&J Plateados de Romeo...... They were Machine or Handmade versions both are rare cigars..

Hand Made 42 -5 1/8

Machine made 40 -5 1/8

Fit a 40 or 42 ring gauge cigar in the tin box to see if they were handmade or machinemade.

A few years ago JR Cigars launced a series of tin boxes like this...and in the catalog Lew stated that the tinboxes was a reincarnation of the boxes sold/passed out on intercontinental airtravels...so a fair guess is that the tinbox comes from an airtravel...

Trev, I don't have "the bible" - does it say which cigars were contained in this pack?

A bit more research has revealed the following:

The Made in Habana - Cuba (in English) was still used up to the early 1970's (at least on the RyJ aluminium packs).

Aluminium packs were used between mid 1940's to mid 1980's.

The Plateados de Romeo were exclusively produced in these aluminium packs of 5 (AP5).

However, R y J Club Kings and Favoritas were also available in these AP5 packs. (I will add this to my website)

These 3 cigars were of simliar size, so I assume that there was only a single size AP5 used for all cigars.

The RyJ attachment to the 1962 Cubatabaco catalogue described these packs as: Aluminium Pocket Case - 5 cigars

And Colt....get your self a copy of the MRN book...its a must. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
Nice! Is it the Plateados de Romeo, Club Kings or Favoritas?

How about a review?

I have no idea what are those! I have it for many years and smoked two last year - nicely aged, typical machine made RyJ taste, still very spicy and full bodied with great Cuban tobacco flavor...

But I love any CC's, before 1995 - from then on the blends have been changed and one can taste it for sure.