Conde de Villanueva Culebra 2001

What kind of beans were you roasting? Warmer weather coming will mean I can back to roasting at home myself.

These are an espresso blend called "Espresso Monkey" from sweetmarias.com. I also like their "Moka Kadir". Espresso is perfect with a cigar.

» What kind of beans were you roasting? Warmer weather coming will mean I

» can back to roasting at home myself.

»

» These are an espresso blend called "Espresso Monkey" from sweetmarias.com.

» I also like their "Moka Kadir". Espresso is perfect with a cigar.

Gotta love Sweet Maria's. :-)

Most, if not all of my home roasting is done at City to Full City +, to retain the character of the beans. Might have to do some darker roasts this spring.

Most, if not all of my home roasting is done at City to Full City +, to retain the character of the beans. Might have to do some darker roasts this spring.

I roast yearound and usually go deep into second crack. I don't use a stopwatch but rely on sight, sound and smell to determine when to end the roast. Homeroasting is an awesome sensual experience!

» I don't use a stopwatch but rely on sight, sound and smell to determine

» when to end the roast. Homeroasting is an awesome sensual experience!

:ok: My thoughts (and technique) exactly.

I don't like smoking up the house, so I roast in the unheated garage. Substandard wintertime batches result, so I'm a three season roaster.

» I . . . go deep into second crack.

» . . . an awesome sensual experience!

I'm just warning you now . . . you keep up that kind of talk, and people here are gonna start giving you shite about it. :yes:

yes indeedy . . .

• 8 months later...

This cigar was commissioned from the Conde de Villanueva in Havana Vieja in 2001. Reynaldo Gonzales is the torcedor. This threesome has a nice colorado wrapper with a nice barnyard leathery aroma.

image5658.jpg

image5665.jpg

image5666.jpg

This culebra is held together with strips of wrapper leaf. Separation is easy.

image5659.jpg

image5660.jpg

image5667.jpg

The Drink:

Legendario Elixir de Ron, A rum liquor

image5668.jpg

First third:

Cigar was punched and draws extremely well, prelight flavors are leather and tobacco. Upon torching black pepper is apparent as is rich tobacco flavors.

image5669.jpg

Second third:

Intensity builds, richness unfolds and the pepper settles down.

image5670.jpg

Beyond the crook, bring on the twang:

The final third develops the unmistakable cuban twang that highlights this medium to full bodied 39/64th beast. This stick has never failed me. I believe Reynaldo is a star and will be spoken of in terms now reserved for the likes of Toboada, Cueto, la China, Yolanda Medina, and Hamlet.

image5671.jpg

Post smoke:

Conde de Villanueva Culebra: 93

image5672.jpg

The sweetness of the rum liquor compliments this cigar rather nicely. This fine stick was enjoyed on a beautiful afternoon while roasting three batches of coffee. Two down, one to go.

image5673.jpg