Skinnies from 2008

Hey Everyone,

While researching various Laguitos, Long Panatelas etc. on the forums, I read somewhere that these cigars from 2008 tend to be underfilled. Is this true, is there construction issues with Monte Especiales, ERDM Grandes de Espana, Party Connies, Cohiba Lanceros, etc from 2008? Are these problems rampant, or just in a few sporadic cases?

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Its been my experience that construction is outstanding in 2008. I havent smoked from all of the skinnies on that list but in general I would say that 08 is truly a hallmark year for both construction and quality of tobacco. Its certainly a good combo to have. As a side note some of my 08's are beginning to enter a sick period, so if you purchase an early 08 box that looks and smells good but tastes a little off, no worries just put it away for 18 months or so and smoke from something else. They will come back and be better than ever, just like the great early 06 stock that is coming out of hibernation now and really shining.

Its been my experience that construction is outstanding in 2008. I havent smoked from all of the skinnies on that list but in general I would say that 08 is truly a hallmark year for both construction and quality of tobacco. Its certainly a good combo to have. As a side note some of my 08's are beginning to enter a sick period, so if you purchase an early 08 box that looks and smells good but tastes a little off, no worries just put it away for 18 months or so and smoke from something else. They will come back and be better than ever, just like the great early 06 stock that is coming out of hibernation now and really shining.

Well you haven´t smoked from the 11 boxes of underfilled, tunnelling crap ERdM Grandes de Espana I bought. It's good and hopeful to hear that you've had luck with what you've smoked and you could be correct in general, but everything from 2008 is not outstanding.

Wow, Kjell, sorry to hear that. I only have a 2007 box of Grandes de Espanas that have been fine. 11 boxes is a lot of frustration.

The only experience with 2008 stock of the cigars you mentioned I have has been the Partagas Connie #1's--not under filled and for being so young, superb cigars. I have a box to age and a half box of singles to smoke now. Need to get more.

Well you haven´t smoked from the 11 boxes of underfilled, tunnelling crap ERdM Grandes de Espana I bought. It's good and hopeful to hear that you've had luck with what you've smoked and you could be correct in general, but everything from 2008 is not outstanding.

I agree with you Kjell.

One of the most frustrating things last year was locating exceptional skinnies....perfect wrapper, great aroma to be let down by underfilling...sometimes chronic.

Underfilling is now a greater concern in long skinnies than tight rolls.