FORMULA 1 - 2010

'Senna sent critical email to Kolles'

Bruno-Senna_2437855.jpg

Although Hispania insist they just wanted to give Sakon Yamamoto the "opportunity" to race, it appears there may be more behind Bruno Senna's British GP axing.

On the eve of last weekend's British Grand Prix, Hispania confirmed that Senna would sit out the race in favour of test driver Yamamoto being given the "opportunity" to show what he's made of.

The team's decision sparked rumours that it was for financial reasons that Senna, the nephew of the late Ayrton Senna, was sidelined, although these were quickly denied by Hispania.

However, it now appears that may be the truth - or at least partly.

According to reports in the German media, there were financial implications to Yamamoto racing. However, it was to do with Karun Chandhok, whose sponsors were late in their payments.

But they eventually came through late Thursday, meaning the team could not drop him. And that was a problem for Hispania as Yamamoto had raised a reported $5million for his chance to compete.

Senna, though, then handed the team the perfect reason to sideline him - he sent an email criticising team boss Colin Kolles's management style to, yes, team boss Colin Kolles.

And as a result, Senna was "rested" and Hispania got a much-needed cash injection from Yamamoto's drive.

Oops! :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Button: We can't afford to stand still

Jenson-Button_2476097.jpg

Jenson Button is looking for McLaren to land a heavyweight blow in Germany next weekend after believing the team has recently punched above its weight.

McLaren were forced to abandon plans to run with their version of the exhaust blown diffuser after struggling during Friday practice ahead of the British Grand Prix.

It led to the team's mechanics and engineers burning the midnight oil to return the car to the set-up used in the European Grand Prix in Valencia a fortnight earlier.

Button and team-mate Lewis Hamilton still managed a superb fourth and second respectively at Silverstone behind race-winner Mark Webber in his Red Bull.

Button, however, admits to being concerned at the growing pace of his rivals, which is why he is hoping McLaren can again roll out the new system with greater effect at Hockenheim from next Friday.

"We saw ourselves at Silverstone it's not easy to arrive at a track and simply 'switch on' a new package," said Button.

"It requires quite a bit of effort, so I think over the next few races we're going to see a lot of the top teams further fine-tuning their refinements.

"So we can't afford to stand still, and we're not.

"I think we've perhaps punched above our weight at the last two races, which is great for us, but we're not standing still.

"At the moment, we're hopeful of taking the blown diffuser to Hockenheim to run it on Friday.

"We learnt quite a bit about it from the day at Silverstone, and I hope we'll be in a position to get it working more effectively at the German Grand Prix."

Teams clarify test ban regulations

Martin-Whitmarsh_2444133.jpg

The F1 teams have closed a loophole in the testing regulations with teams now banned from running new parts during days of promotional filming.

Earlier this season, Ferrari caused outrage amongst their rivals when they ran their new blown diffuser during a day of filming at Fiorano.

Rivals immediately called for the rules to be clarified with Ferrari also adding that there is a need 'to tidy up the wording.'

And that has now been done.

With immediate effect, all teams are banned from running any new parts on their cars during filming or promotional days.

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh has welcomed the ruling, although added that he felt it was rather straight forward to start with.

"I personally did not feel there was any ambiguity, but others argued that there was," he told Autosport "But that is pressure, and when people are under pressure they try and take a different view.

"It is now clear that, if you are doing a demo run, then you must use components that have been raced before - and it has to be a legitimate demo run."

MIKA: I cant for the life of me understand how F1 is considered the pinnacle of Motorsport yet they can not test and develop their cars during the season. I believe they need to allow testing for all teams.

Q&A with Peter Sauber

Peter-Sauber_2440337.jpg

Peter Sauber shares his thoughts on his 40 years in motorsport as he prepares to celebrate the milestone at next weekend's Germany GP...

Q: Why did you decide, four decades ago, to go into business building racing sports cars? Switzerland isn't exactly the most popular place to set up this kind of company.

PS: My occasional amateur races in a VW Beetle and the work I used to do on the car brought me into contact with the motor sport community in Switzerland. Within these circles I met a likeminded enthusiast, and together we developed the project for building two-seater racing sports cars. If we'd looked into the economic wisdom of building and selling racing sports cars in Switzerland, there's no way it would have made sense. But luckily the sensible approach doesn't always win the day.

Q: Was it possible to earn enough money in this business?

PS: No, it wasn't. Between 1970 and 1978 we built a total of 13 examples of the C1 to C5 models. But that just didn't prove to be economically viable. Building and selling the cars was nowhere near enough. However, we were able to make money by running the cars for wealthy clients.

Q: Were there moments when you were tempted to throw in the towel?

PS: Oh yes, there were a lot of those! The first ten years were especially difficult, as we weren't just lacking the financial resources but also the people we needed. We were pushing our limits physically as well. There were many occasions when we worked late into the night. The Le Mans 24-hour race was particularly gruelling; with all the preparations for the race, you barely slept for a week. If you then had to watch the cars drop out mid-way through the race, it would finish you off both physically and mentally. More than once I called my wife from Le Mans and said to her: That's it, I've had enough now.

Q: That idea never lasted for long, though...

PS: No, we always kept going. I was aware from the outset that it was extremely difficult - for a whole variety of reasons - to make a living from building racing cars in Switzerland. What always drove me on, though, was the determination not to concede defeat in the face of an almost insurmountable challenge.

Q: How did you work in those days? Who designed the cars and who built them?

PS: We started out as a two-man operation. With the C1, which we built in the cellar of my parents' house, we started out with a pretty good idea. The basis for this racing car was a Brabham Formula 3 machine, including the engine and gearbox, for which we designed a new two-seater chassis and bodywork. The C1 was much better than the cars it was racing against. That was how I managed to win the Swiss sports car championship in 1970. I certainly wasn't a particularly talented driver.

Q: How did things go from there?

PS: The C2 was created according to the same principle, but for the C3 we designed every part ourselves. Like its two predecessors, it was based on a tubular frame. By then there were four of us working together, one of whom was a friend from school who was studying engineering at the time. He was responsible for the design and I did the soldering and welding. With the C4 and C5 we used an aluminium monocoque - which we also made ourselves - for the first time. From the C3 onwards Paucoplast were responsible for building the body, and the company is still doing work for us today. It was a very intense time.

Q: And then the partnership with Mercedes-Benz gradually took shape.

PS: Yes, it began in 1984 and was a very delicate matter to start with. Motor sport was still a taboo subject at Mercedes back then, with the serious accident at Le Mans in 1955 still weighing heavily. So a dedicated group of Mercedes engineers helped us out in their free time until we became the official works team of Mercedes-Benz in 1988.

Q: Professor Werner Niefer played a particularly prominent role here.

PS: Professor Niefer was Chairman of the Board at the time and a real old-school businessman - of the sort you struggle to find in large companies nowadays. Back then I worked with Mercedes without a contract; I shook hands with Professor Niefer, and that was worth more than any piece of paper with signatures scrawled on it.

Q: What was the story with the Silver Arrows?

PS: In March 1989 the Sauber-Mercedes C9 cars, with their dark blue paintwork, were all ready for their first race at Suzuka. Professor Niefer wanted the cars painted silver, but there was a lot of resistance among his colleagues on the Board, for whom our prospects of success were too uncertain. Professor Niefer asked me to paint a model car silver and bring it to the Geneva Motor Show, where the key meeting was due to take place. Things were not moving very fast, but then he suddenly put his arm around my shoulder, took me aside and said: "They're all such scaredy-cats. Change the colour!" The cars were duly repainted, but it was all very cloak-and-dagger. This was the rebirth of the Silver Arrows. We celebrated a one-two at Suzuka, won the Manufacturers' and Drivers' titles in the World Sports Car Championship and crossed the line first and second at Le Mans as well. So we repaid his faith in us.

Q: What would you say has been the best period you've had over the 40 years?

PS: Off the top of my head I'm tempted to say the successful time with Mercedes. But when I think back now, the 18 years in Formula One are right up there, of course. I don't really want to single out any particular period of time; the whole 40 years have been amazing, and the difficult moments are all part of that.

Q: You brought Mercedes-Benz back into motor sport and provided BMW with the platform to line up as a works team in Formula One. Are you proud of what you've achieved?

PS: Yes, definitely. I'm also proud that I achieved this from Switzerland. After all, these are two big German companies with long histories. In 2005 the German automobile association, the ADAC, presented me with an award in recognition of my achievements, so it isn't as if it went totally unnoticed.

Q: What have been the sporting highlights of your career?

PS: In the 'old days' I would certainly say winning the Manufacturers' and Drivers' titles in the World Sports Car Championship in 1989 and the one-two in the Le Mans 24 Hours. More recently, the highlight would have to be Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld's one-two in the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

Q: And the low points?

PS: Without doubt the serious accident suffered by Karl Wendlinger in Monaco in 1994, which left him in a coma for 19 days, and Robert Kubica's horrific crash in Montreal in 2007. In the end, both accidents had a happy ending. Robert is still competing in Formula One, of course, and Karl continues to race GT sports cars. I'm very thankful that they are able to do so.

Q: How do you hope the future will work out?

PS: I'd like to lead the team back into a secure position and establish it at a good level from a racing point of view. If I can manage that, it will be a case of mission accomplished for me.

MIKA: Wow, 40 years in motorsport with such a humble beginning to a power house in F1. Whilst Sauber are not doing all that well of late, they are still a very well rounded team that are extremely supportive of each other. Thats one of Peter Saubers strong points IMO. ;)

I'm pleased to see Kobayashi doing well for the Sauber team as Peter deserves his team to be scoring points and finally 'mingling' with the midfielders and the front runners to some degree.

Toro Rosso line-up to remain unchanged for 2011

Jaime_Alguersuari_Sebastien_Buemi_Toro_Rosso_2010_09.jpg

Toro Rosso have confirmed today that they will be retaining current drivers, Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi for their 2011 campaign.

Team boss, Franz Tost explained that the move was a logical one as the team, owned by Red Bull, continues to bring young drivers from the Red Bull Young Drivers Programme.

"I believe our drivers will be well prepared for 2011, which is why they are both confirmed for next year," Tost confirmed.

The team have scored 7 points in 10 races this season and currently sit 5 points behind their closest rival, Sauber. Tost insists that the team are continuing to bring upgrades and have high hopes for the latter part of the season.

Hellmund insists: The land has been bought

image_1843452.jpg

Tavo Hellmund, organiser of the 2012 United States Grand Prix that is due to be held in Austin, Texas, insists that the land needed to build the $250m permanent racing facility has already been bought and that its location will be announced next week. Speaking to GPWEEK during the British Grand Prix weekend at Silverstone, Hellmund revealed that the land had been purchased over a year and a half ago.

“There hasn't needed to be any progress on the land because we already have the land,” he told GPWEEK when asked how progress on the race was going. “I know people have been digging around to find my names. Well, I wasn't a rookie and everything was put in holding names.

“Most of it [was bought] over a year and a half ago. I can tell you it's over 600 acres and less than 2000.”

Although the track has been designed by renowned F1 architect Hermann Tilke, Hellmund says the circuit is a departure from the German's previous work.

“The land is exciting and the Tilks folks have been coming non-stop. We changed turns 1 and 3 last week, just for aesthetic reasons - lines of sight,” he explained. “For people who aren't Tilke fans, I think it's a departure for Tilke.

“There are elevation changes, it's going to be over three miles long and there will be fast corners. There will be several places on the track that spectators can see multiple corners. We like the layout now.”

Hellmund added that work needs to begin on the facility in the next few months and he is confident that planning permission can be granted in time.

Fry: Schumacher must 'plug away'

1278607399.jpg

Michael Schumacher has been urged to keep 'plugging away' with his Formula 1 comeback, despite having not yet delivered the results that he or his team were hoping for this season.

That is the view of Mercedes GP CEO Nick Fry, who reckons that Schumacher is continuing to improve on his readjustment to F1 - and says the outfit is not losing faith in the German even though he has yet to finish on the podium.

"I think Michael has just to plug away at it," Fry told AUTOSPORT. "It is not coming together clearly. We have fits and starts and last weekend had some good points - like the second part of qualifying - but then the final part of qualifying was a bit disappointing.

"During the race there were points where we thought we could put in a better result here, but it didn't quite work out at the end.

"Clearly everyone expects the best of Michael Schumacher because he is seven-time world champion, but on the other hand you've got to say he is still a top ten driver which, on a global scale, is pretty impressive.

"He is still learning and we have still got confidence in him and he has confidence in himself. So I am quite optimistic."

Schumacher himself believes there was reason to feel more bullish about his chances for the rest of the season after his Mercedes GP team made a step forward in performance at Silverstone last weekend.

"Certainly the car was working more true to its normal car/tyre combination, because I think that a lot of the problems in some of the events are down to some tyre issues that we haven't understood," said Schumacher.

"Clearly in Valencia we made mistakes with the car that we didn't do at Silverstone, and therefore we performed on normal levels."

Button concerned about rivals' pace

1279183662.jpg

World champion Jenson Button has admitted he is concerned about the increasing competitiveness of McLaren's rivals, but the Briton is confident his team will raise its game soon.

"I am, yeah," said Button on his website when asked if he was worried about the pace of his rivals.

"We've seen since the start of the season that the Red Bull has been the car to beat. I've won a couple of races, and so has Lewis, and you could say that, for a few races at least, we perhaps had the quickest race pace, and we were able to make the most of that.

"But Valencia showed us that the opposition never stands still. And a number of teams showed up with some significant upgrades, and even if the results didn't necessarily show it, we became aware of their intent."

He is adamant, however, that McLaren will raise its pace as it continues to push with the development of its car.

"We saw ourselves at Silverstone, that it's not easy to arrive at a track and simply 'switch on' a new package - it requires quite a bit of effort - so I think over the next few races, we're going to see a lot of the top teams further fine-tuning their refinements. So we can't afford to stand still.

"And we're not. I think we've perhaps punched above our weight at the last two races - which is great for us - but we're not standing still."

The Briton said he is optimistic that the rear blown diffuser the team introduced at Silverstone will be ready for the German Grand Prix, despite having to remove it for the British GP.

"At the moment, we're hopeful of taking the blown diffuser to Hockenheim to run it on Friday," he said. "We learnt quite a bit about it from the day's testing at Silverstone, and I hope we'll be in a position to get it working more effectively at the Santander German Grand Prix."

Button, who finished in fourth at the Silverstone race, said his team had made the right call in removing the blown diffuser.

"It's one of those things where, perhaps, you go into it feeling optimistic that it will deliver the required performance step, but, in reality, it's more complicated than that," he said.

"At Silverstone, we had the added complication of a new track configuration that we'd never driven on before. And it was also very, very bumpy, which didn't help us quickly fine-tune the set-up of the car.

"On Friday, we struggled to make the car feel nice - it was just unpredictable and difficult to feel comfortable in. That could have been a set-up issue, but Lewis was reporting exactly the same issues from the other side of the garage, so it quickly became apparent that it wasn't an individual problem, it was something affecting both cars.

"Was it the right decision to go back to the old floor? It was a tough decision, but you've got to look at the result we got on Sunday to say that we made the right call."

Austin promises unique F1 circuit

1279210722.jpg

Formula 1 fans and drivers have been promised that the new United States Grand Prix track in Austin will be one of the most challenging and spectacular in the world.

Tavo Hellmund, the promoter of the Austin event that is scheduled to hold its first race in 2012, has revealed that the circuit will be a break from the norm of modern F1 venues and is set to feature a selection of the very best sequences from other tracks around the world.

"I would say that, hopefully, people will view it as a throwback to some of the older, traditional tracks - although obviously with the added safety features and requirements that the FIA has," Hellmund told AUTOSPORT during a visit to the British Grand Prix.

"It will be a track that the drivers will walk through and think: 'Man, I have to be on my best game today!'"

Hellmund said that final details of the location of the track will be released imminently, and that the actual layout should be made public in the next few weeks. He said he was excited by what he had seen from the plans, being put together by F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke.

"It is going to have a really fast section, which will have some pretty challenging corners," he said. "I am partial to a couple of sections that I've seen at Silverstone, so you could see those turn up too.

"There is also going to be significant elevation – probably more than 100 feet of difference from top to bottom. There will be pretty views, and I think it will be a bit of a departure from the tracks that have been built recently for F1. So, in that regard, I am excited.

"Americans will be proud of it – and it won't be a 'cookie cutter' track. I think people in Texas will be proud of it as well."

Hellmund said one of his priorities was to make sure the drivers liked the venue – because that would help ensure the event became a hit.

"When you really get down to it, the drivers should be your best endorsement," he said. "They are the ones that talk, and everyone wants to hear what they have to say. So I think between access, mobility, location and then obviously the asphalt within both fences, I think we're going to be good."

Hellmund also echoed recent comments from Bernie Ecclestone, who said there were no doubts that the funding for the event was in place.

When asked about the financial situation, Hellmund said: "With all due respect, I think it is interesting – because it is nobody's business what my funding is. I can tell you this – the group we have together is world class.

"Some of them are well known individuals who will probably never appear publicly – which is for a reason because their privacy and anonymity is part of the deal.

"But, I can tell you that Mr. Ecclestone would not have embarked on a deal if he was not pleased with the financial package. And the state of Texas would not have done what they have done without that either.

"And I want to be clear about what Texas have done because there are a lot of misconceptions there. They are not subsidising anything – the state of Texas has basically passed legislation, just like they did for the Superbowl, that allows for the contribution of incremental sales tax revenue that is created by that event. So, some of the liberal media in Texas have been trying to take shots at that, but that [the subsidy claim] is a fabrication.

"We are excited, because it puts Texas on a platform with the great global events – the Olympics, the Superbowl and the World Cup. They would have not been doing it either if they thought it was a bit wishy-washy."

MIKA: The news on the Texas GP certainly sounds exciting and promising! I do hope the track is not as slow and boring as alot of Tilkes newer tracks have become where they are certainly large and wide, but turn into parades with hardly any overtaking opportunities available. ;)

'Villeneuve Racing' chasing 13th spot

Jacques-Villeneuve_2447777.jpg

Jacques Villeneuve is reportedly set to start his own Formula One team and bid for a place on next year's grid.

According to Auto, moto und Sport, the former F1 World Champion has already submitted an application for the 13th place on the grid and will call his team 'Villeneuve Racing.'

The article continues, stating that Villeneuve's team will be based in England and could include former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore and tech boss Pat Symonds.

The team is also reportedly talking to former staff of the Arrows and Super Aguri team.

The FIA is expected to announce later this month the name of F1's 13th team for next year's Championship.

MIKA: This will be interesting... :)

Now it's Chandhok's turn to be dropped

KarunChandhok_2478308.jpg

Karun Chandhok says he is "not too worried" despite Hispania's decision to replace him with reserve driver Sakon Yamamoto for the German GP.

The Spanish team announced on Friday that they were dropping Chandhok for the Hockenheim race, just one week after the Indian's team-mate Bruno Senna was also replaced by Yamamoto at the British Grand Prix.

Senna, nephew of the late triple Champion Ayrton, will return to the cockpit alongside Yamamoto in Germany.

"You want to drive every weekend so it's not ideal," Chandhok, who will still travel to Hockenheim, said. "But it's hardly the end of the world.

"At the end of the day, they gave me the chance to be in Formula One."

The 26-year-old, who competed in the first 10 races of the season picking up a best finish of 14th, said he was confident he would be back in the car before too long.

"By no means does this mean that I'm not back in the car in Budapest (the race after Germany)," he said.

"We will sit down in Hockenheim and the team will decide on a race by race basis."

Chandhok added: "There's no reason to believe that I will be out for too long. I'm not too worried."

It is widely believed that Yamamoto, one of two test drivers employed by HRT alongside Austrian Christian Klien, brings substantial backing with him.

Hispania, one of three new teams on the grid this season, have been plagued by financial problems and were unable to carry out testing prior to their debut.

F1 rookie Chandhok therefore had to qualify for the first race of the season in Bahrain without any previous running in their car.

Although he finished one place ahead of Yamamoto in the British Grand Prix, the team said the Japanese driver's "very positive performance" at Silverstone warranted another drive.

"Karun Chandhok is still part of the Hispania Racing, HRT F1 Team family and is likely to be in the car at some later races this season," the team added.

Under the 2010 Formula One sporting regulations, teams are allowed to use four drivers in a season with all eligible to score points.

Villeneuve: I'm not commenting

Jacques-Villeneuve-and-Bernie-Ecclestone_2478441.jpg

Former World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has refused to divulge any details amidst rumours that he will be back in F1 next season as a team owner.

Earlier this week, Auto, moto und Sport reported that the 39-year-old has applied to become the 13th team on next year's grid and would brand his new F1 team, 'Villenueve Racing.'

BBC Sport now claims that 'Villeneuve has cleared the FIA checks aimed at establishing whether his team are technically capable of building an F1 car and a scrutiny of their financial background.'

The Canadian, though, isn't revealing anything more than that.

He told BBC Sport: "I've never made it a secret that I'm working hard on an F1 project.

"But I've not discussed the details or what my plans were and I won't be drawn on it now. I'm not commenting."

JV's manager Rick Gorne, who was one of the founding members of the BAR F1 team, added: "There is an element of truth in the rumours.

"F1 is a possibility - he does have the intention to get back. It's a project we're working on."

Red Bull's Marko is at it again

British-Grand-Prix-practice-Sebastian-Vettel-_2475832.jpg

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has thrown fuel on the fire, saying if anyone has a right to cry conspiracy it's Sebastian Vettel.

Red Bull have once again been making headlines but for all the wrong reasons.

Despite winning the British GP last Sunday, the team was inundated with questions about their perceived favouritism towards Vettel after they handed the new specification front wing straight off team-mate Mark Webber's car.

Webber was furious with the team's decision and referred to himself as their "number two driver" when he took the chequered flag at Silverstone.

The team, though, has subsequently held clear-the-air talks, after which Webber conceded that perhaps he shouldn't have made that comment.

And one man who believes he definitely should not have, is Red Bull's advisor, Marko, the man who put the blame for Red Bull's Turkish GP shunt firmly on Webber's shoulders even though the entire world saw it differently.

"If Mark imagines there's a conspiracy between us and Vettel against him, then he is on the wrong track," Marko told Auto Moto und Sport.

"If I was Vettel then I would have suspected the opposite. Which car has permanently had something damaged?

"Did Mark have the defective spark plug in Bahrain, the loose wheel in Australia, the broken brake disc in Barcelona, the defective chassis in Monte Carlo, the transmission problems in Montreal and now the broken wing at Silverstone?"

But not content to end it there, Marko also believes Webber should be grateful to Red Bull, after all where was he two years ago.

"Mark is having a great season, and has also improved big time, but he should not forget that he owes much of this to the team.

"Where was he two years ago?

"Then he could not even dream of grand prix victories. Today, we have given him a car that he can win on his own."

The Austrian did, however, add that he doesn't care "who is champion, the main thing is that he is driving a Red Bull."

Domenicali: Believe or leave

Stefano-Domenicali_2478457.jpg

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali has told his staff to find themselves another job if they do not believe the World title can be won this season.

Domenicali's blunt message was delivered on Thursday night at the monthly meeting of the Scuderia's senior management as he seeks a reversal in fortunes.

Despite major upgrades on the car at the last two races, drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa have collected just four points from the events in Silverstone and Valencia.

Despite Ferrari failing to collect a point for the first time this year in Sunday's British Grand Prix, Alonso made it clear he still feels he can be Champion for a third time.

Although Alonso is 47 points behind McLaren's Lewis Hamilton in the Drivers' standings, and the team 113 behind their main rivals in the Constructors', Domenicali is with the Spaniard.

"Anyone who does not believe that we can win the World Championship would do better looking for another job," said Domenicali on the team's official website.

"No-one here is giving up. There are still nine races to go and anything can happen.

"We will have to do our job perfectly, that is to say the Ferrari way, and then the results will come."

MIKA: Ferrari have clearly lost the plot IMO...

Virgin intent on retaining Glock for 2011

Timo-Glock_2472680.jpg

Virgin Racing are keen to retain Timo Glock for next year's Championship, according to tech boss Nick Wirth.

Glock joined the newcomers at the beginning of this season, and after a dismal start of four successive retirements, has succeeded in finishing four of the last six events.

But with Renault, who has linked to ahead of this year's campaign, believed to be interested in signing the German, Virgin could face a tough task retaining Glock.

Wirth, though, is confident the former Toyota driver will remain at Virgin next season.

"We've got another year on the contract with Timo, but like anything in life everyone has got to want to carry on," Wirth told Autosport.

"Timo understood that we were a new team and he wanted to be part of something that was growing going forward. That's why the Silverstone weekend was so important because it has hopefully shown him that we can do it."

He added: "We were so lucky to have a driver with his talent, ability and experience join us at his age. It's up to us to try and deliver on that."

As for Glock's team-mate, Lucas di Grassi, Wirth was full of praise for the rookie Brazilian.

"I know I'm very biased, but I think he is looking good for rookie of the year if you look at his relative performance.

"He's coming into his own and doing a fantastic job. The disadvantage is that Lucas is naturally a bit heavier than Timo. For all of the new teams, weight is an issue so he's still got a disadvantage. It's to do with us and we're working very hard on it."

Button targets improved qualy in Germany

Jenson-Button_2476118.jpg

Jenson Button concedes he needs to improve his qualifying performances, starting at this weekend's German GP.

Although he is second in the Drivers' Championship, 12 points behind his team-mate Lewis Hamilton, Button has not made life easy for himself on grand prix Sundays.

The Brit has yet to qualify on the front row of the grid and has in fact only made it onto the second row on three occasions.

And although he has tasted some success, he admits an improved grid slot would definitely to a long way towards helping his cause.

"My most memorable experience at Hockenheim must be back in 2004, when I qualified 13th and raced through the field to finish second - so not too dissimilar to my race at Silverstone last week, then!" he said.

"Seriously, though, I enjoy racing at Hockenheim: I miss the long, flat-out straights that made up the circuit at the start of my Formula 1 career, that was pretty unique.

"But the current track is better for the spectators and has shown itself to be a very good place for both racing and overtaking.

"After two disappointments in qualifying at Valencia and Silverstone, my aim for this weekend must be to make life easier for myself on Saturday afternoon, so that I can maximise my performance on Sunday without needing to play catch-up during the race."

Sauber to debut blown diffuser

James-Key-2_2448989.jpg

Sauber will become the latest team to run a blown diffuser exhaust when they debut their device next weekend in Germany.

In recent weeks, many teams have adopted the diffuser style, however, it has not been easy for any of them.

Both Mercedes GP and Ferrari took a while to adjust while McLaren had to scrap their's last time out in Silverstone due to the problems it was causing their drivers.

However, Sauber are still set to press ahead with the device at Hockenheim next weekend.

"We will have several aero updates on our C29, including a modified diffuser. It's a package which is again a step in the same direction we've been pursuing for Valencia and Silverstone," said tech director James Key.

Key is also hoping that the team can continue their good run of form, having finished the last two races in the points, although he admits Hockenheim is a very different track to Valencia and Silverstone.

"After two good races we obviously want to carry on the momentum as best we can at Hockenheim. It's quite a different track to the last two.

"It's more a mix of slow speed corners in the final section, where you can gain lap time if you get it right, and to a certain extent quite a bit of straight line running. It's gonna be a tradeoff between downforce and drag. Braking stability will be important to get the best out of the slow speed corners.

"There are some high speed areas, which we think will suit our car well. Most interestingly it's a circuit where you have one or two good overtaking opportunities.

"Tyre compounds are extreme, they are either very soft or very hard, so it will be interesting to see how that works out for qualifying and the race. This will increase the workload on Friday and Saturday to make sure we have a good understanding of both compounds."

Durango involved in JV's F1 bid

Jacques-Villeneuve-2010_2478456.jpg

Jacques Villeneuve will race should his bid, in collaboration with Durango, to take the 13th slot on the 2011 grid be accepted.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Villeneuve has applied for a place on next year's Formula One, looking to take the 13th slot.

Already the former World Champ has reportedly 'cleared the FIA checks aimed at establishing whether his team are technically capable of building an F1 car and a scrutiny of their financial background', according to the BBC.

Now it has been revealed that 'Villeneuve Racing', as the team will reportedly be named, is linking up with Italian outfit Durango.

Durango team owner Ivone Pinton, who announced earlier this year that his outfit would bid for the 13th slot despite dropping out of the GP2 series due to financial problems, confirmed his partnership with 39-year-old Villeneuve.

"I really hope together we will find a place," he told 422race.com.

"We still don't know where the car would be built, but the team's base will definitely be ours, in the Veneto.

"As well as being the driver, I'm sure he will make a useful contribution to the company. I think he's preparing a job to do after he hangs up his helmet."

Schumi: German GP is special

Michael-Schumacher-and-Sebastian-Vettel-and-T_2478393.jpg

Michael Schumacher faces an emotional homecoming next weekend which he hopes will be one to remember.

Schumacher, who has been an inspiration to a generation of drivers in Germany after winning seven World Championships, can expect to be lauded throughout the course of the German Grand Prix.

Although Schumacher has struggled during his comeback season after three years in retirement, collecting just 36 points from 10 races, the 41-year-old is fired up to perform in front of his home crowd at Hockenheim.

"There is one thing for sure, no matter how long you are around it is always something special to race in front of your home crowd," said Schumacher.

"At Hockenheim I will definitely try my best for my fans who give me such a lot of support, especially over the race weekend.

"But the German Grand Prix is very special for any German driver, and there are very few areas on any race track worldwide comparable to the Motodrom.

"As a driver you feel that energetic atmosphere when entering."

Along with Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg, the duo face a rare experience of being German drivers in a German car in their home race.

"It will be the first time for me at Hockenheim as a Mercedes driver and I am very much looking forward to the experience," said the former Benetton and Ferrari star.

"Driving in front of our grandstand in front of all the employees, members and friends of Mercedes-Benz will be an emotional moment.

"I will therefore be extra motivated to give them a weekend to remember."

Vettel: All F1 drivers are egotists

SebastianVettel_2476332.jpg

Red Bull may be claiming that all is well within the team, however, Sebastian Vettel says Mark Webber is never going to be his best friend.

Red Bull suffered another blow to their already tense team-mate battle when they handed Vettel the front wing off Webber's car ahead of qualifying in Britain.

The team's decision did not go down well with Webber, however, Vettel says that's F1, everyone driver is looking out for himself.

"The team is the priority... (but) in the end the pecking order is led by the faster man. Every driver is an egotist because you go down in Formula One if you aren't," Vettel told Der Spiegel magazine.

"The team-mate is the first you want to beat because he has the same equipment."

As for his relationship with Webber, who suffered yet another blow at Silverstone, Vettel said: "There is always a certain distance.

"We work together in certain areas to bring the team forward and to further develop the car. But apart from that everyone is focussed on himself and seeks his own advantage."

The German is currently fourth in the Drivers' standings, 24 points behind Championship leader Lewis Hamilton, and is determined that come the end of the season, he will be the man in the P1 slot.

"I have no joy in being an also-ran. I need this self-affirmation that I am better than the others," he said.

Button endorses a Russian GP

Jenson-Button-July-2010_2477730.jpg

Jenson Button has given his backing to a Russian GP after racing around the Kremlin in his McLaren on Sunday.

The reigning World Champ took part in a demonstration day in Russia, putting in a few laps in his F1 car on his first trip to Moscow and afterward endorsed the idea of a F1 grand prix taking place in Russia.

"This is not a day of work, it's a day of enjoyment," the Briton told Reuters.

"I've always wanted to visit Moscow. I haven't seen much of the city as we only arrived two days ago.

"It would be a good idea (to have a grand prix here) as I definitely want to come back."

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone recently announced that he was keen for F1 to head to Russia while the general director of Bavaria Moscow City Racing Derk Sauer has revealed that the race could take place as early as 2012.

"We're aiming to have the race here as early as 2012," Sauer said. "The contract is not done yet but we're getting very close."

He added that circuit designer Hermann Tilke had been enlisted to design the track.

"It would be just like Monaco, a race around the city centre with the Kremlin in the background," Sauer said.

Now Buemi says he is staying put

d10esp63_2450135.jpg

Despite last week denying that he had re-signed with Toro Rosso, Seb Buemi has now come out saying he will in fact remain with the team.

Last week, Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost announced that both Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari would remain with the team for next year's Championship.

"I believe our drivers will be well prepared for 2011, which is why they are both confirmed for next year," Tost said.

Buemi, however, was quick to deny Tost's comments, saying he had "not yet signed" and that the "transfer market is still open."

But just a few days later, the Swiss driver now insists he will remain with Toro Rosso.

"I have been with Red Bull for almost all my motor sport career and I am under contract with them for the foreseeable future, starting with next year," he told Autosport.

"And if I haven't signed anything, that's because there is nothing to sign! I am very happy where I am and well aware that I would not be here without Red Bull."

Seven drivers in line to replace Petrov

Vitaly-Petrov_2464229.jpg

Vitaly Petrov faces a tough task holding onto his Renault race with reports claiming the team has already targeted seven possible replacements.

Already Renault have confirmed that they would be interested in signing former F1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen as Robert Kubica's 2011 team-mate. However, the Finn is believed to be set on signing a new deal with Citroen to continue in the World Rally Championship.

Raikkonen, though, isn't the only name on Renault's list.

According to Auto, Moto und Sport, the Anglo/French squad are believed to be keen on Nick Heidfeld, who failed to land a race-seat for this year's Championship, forcing him to take a test driver role with Mercedes GP while Christian Klien is also a possibility.

Virgin Racing's Timo Glock is another on the list as are Lotus drivers Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli.

The seventh possible candidate is Kamui Kobayashi, who made his debut with Toyota in the final two rounds of last year's Championship, impressing bosses up and down the pit lane. He eventually signed for Sauber for this year's campaign, bagging all 15 of the team's points.

Renault, though, have refused to comment on the list with team boss Eric Boullier telling Auto Hebdo that "some (drivers on the list) are more fantasy" but "others are realistic because there have already been talks."

MIKA: I cant for the life of me understand why on earth they don't keep Petrov and let him develop with the team?

Petrov in his first season, has shown more pomise than the likes of Jarno Trulli, Heikki Kovalainen. The only others I'd say would be good would be Kobayashi or Heidfeld but really, give the guy another year to show his potential.

'Next year Schumi will fight for the title'

Michael-Schumacher-and-Norbert-Haug_2435217.jpg

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug insists Michael Schumacher won't be walking away from F1, instead he'll be fighting for the 2011 World title.

Schumacher's return to Formula One with Mercedes GP has been anything but the success story the seven-time World Champ had hoped for. Instead of fighting for race wins and podiums, he's been battling just to finish in the points.

This has led F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to predict that Schumacher may opt out of his three-year contract at the end of this year - his first. "If Schumacher doesn't perform I doubt whether he will want to stay," said Ecclestone.

However, Haug insists Schumacher is in it for the long-haul, adding that he believes the German and his team-mate Nico Rosberg made up the perfect driver line-up.

"Michael will concentrate for the rest of the year on achieving the absolute best results. Next year he will go for the title," Haug told Kicker magazine.

"He is still totally cool and relaxed, he wants success - and that impressed us all."

He added: "I would not have any other line-up than Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg."

But while Mercedes have continued to back Schumacher, others in Formula One have criticised his return, saying the German has lost it and made a mistake returning.

To those critics, Haug says: "I think it is unnecessary to defend a seven-time World Champion.

"But, on the other hand, I understand the discussion. Although the answer to the question of whether he still can is quite clearly, yes."

'Senna's the best, Nico's the prettiest'

Nico-Rosberg_2463731.jpg

The Formula One drivers have spoken: Ayrton Senna is the best there ever was and Nico Rosberg is a 'beautiful woman.'

Bild am Sonntag recently conducted an anonymous survey involving 20 of the 24 current drivers, with only Williams and Renault not participating.

The 'Best Driver Of All Time' went to the late Ayrton Senna, who secured in 12 votes, while Michael Schumacher was second with three and Alain Prost second with two.

As for the 'Best Active Driver', that went to Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, however, the Spaniard did not even feature in the top three for 'Who Will Win This Year's World Title'.

That was topped by Lewis Hamilton with eight votes while six drivers believe Sebastian Vettel will win it and two reckon it will go to Jenson Button.

Hamilton also led the 'Gnarliest Driver' category ahead of Alonso and Schumacher while Monaco was voted the 'Most Dangerous Track' ahead of Suzuka, Singapore and Montreal.

As for the 'Most Beautiful Woman In F1', TF1 reporter Marion Jollès clinched that title ahead of Hamilton's girlfriend, Nicole Scherzinger, while at least one of his rivals reckon Nico Rosberg deserves this honour.

MIKA: Nico should change his look a little, grow a bit of stubble or something to look like a bloke? :peace: