My 2009 Habanos Cigar of the Year Award

For my 2009 Habanos Cigar of the year, I am choosing the H.Upmann Magnum 46. This past year, I have fully immersed myself in Cuban cigars. In the past, I smoked a bunch of NCs but for some reason, I wanted to try the elusive "Cuban Cigar." Luckily I found this site, and after a lot of reading, I purchased some samplers, as well as a box of the Mag 46s.

After smoking my first Mag 46, I realized that cigar smoking was much more involved and complex than I imagined. The idea that flavors could evolve throughout the cigar blew my mind. As I said, I did purchase some samplers and eventually some other boxes. But what I noticed as well as what was being posted was that there are inconsistencies, not only with the different box codes, but even within the same box. After smoking many different cigars, either from samplers or boxes, I could honestly say that the Mag 46 was always the same as the first one I smoked. A couple of them were gifted to me as well, and they too were just as good.

I was very skeptical when it came to Cuban cigars. My thought was that tobacco is tobacco no matter where its from. Had it not been for the 46, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be on this forum posting this thread.

46 was one of my favorites this year as well. You are right...marvellously consistent...the opposite of the Monte 4.