'06 Montecristo #2

Boy, I love a Montecristo #2! This one was a beauty . . . oily, dark brown wrapper . . . rich tobacco smell pre-light . . . neither spongy nor firm to feel, just right. I lit this bad boy and the first few puffs gave me that rush where your eyelids close halfway and you eyes roll upwards in delight. This is what a cigar is supposed to be.

Initial tastes were of a rich coffee bean with hints of a sweet spice and toasted wood backdrop. It doesn't take long for the bean to turn a little vanilla in flavor and, at times, somewhat buttery. A third in, what I perceived as wood flavors became more nutty in nature. The coffee flavor intensified, with an undertone of sweet cream rounding out the smoke. The end was fantastic . . . rich mocha and the resurgence of a delightful spice that was somewhat cinnamon in nature.

Box code is GSO JUL 06. I've smoked several of these and none have disappointed. All burned and drew perfectly. Some have exhibited citrus type flavors and, at times, chocolate and molasses undertones. This one had hints of the latter, but none of the fruitiness or twang I've experienced before. However, the bean flavors were quite pronounced and well-balanced . . . not along the lines of a Cohiba, but dang close.

All-in-all, a hallmark cigar. This one's right at the top of my list, right behind a CoRo.

Slide1-14.jpg

Enjoyed the review mate, good to see an old favourite still putting many a smile on ones face!

The look of that wrapper makes my mouth melt, very similar to the box that Prez posted a few weeks back. I have yet to try a #2 with such depth in the colour.