JLP's Variability

Hi guys,

I'd like your expert opinion on this... :D

On any given day, I smoke at least 3 CCs, but usually 5 or more... Since I'm obviously not as wealthy as most of you bastards ;) I just have to smoke some Piedras to satisfy my addiction and keep the wife quiet ;) . My fav is the Cazadores. I've been smokin' heavily for 3 years now, and I tried nearly everything at least once. To my knowledge, no other brand changes as much from batch to batch than JLP. One 5-pack of Cazadores may contain decent sticks, another one crap cylinders. I came across very good Cazadores with oily, dark wrappers and a sweet yet strong nice taste, and also abominable ammonia-filled, light-tan wannabes. Some packs bear the mention totalmente a mano, while others are only Hecho en Cuba TC. The hand-made ones are not necessarily better tasting!! Of course, I understand that I get my money's worth when buying JLPs, but I'd still like to understand the logic, if any, behind the Vuelta Arriba variable offerings. Is there a time of year that is better to gamble and buy Piedras? Do you know of a JLP vitola that is consistently better than the other ones? Is there another cheapo brand, Cuban or not, that I should try (I do enjoy a Honduran Punch London Club once in a while...) Or maybe I should just smoke less but only quality stuff :idea:

Your comments and/or advice will be appreciated.

A good week to all!

Or maybe I should just smoke less but only quality stuff ;)

Personally, that would the way I'd go. I'd much rather smoke far less, but enjoy it each time.

If you really need a daily fix, the NC idea might be a good one - there are many decent cigars that are great values.

If I had to give a suggestion, it would be the regular Padron line - good all around cigars that I always found to be

consistent in flavor. Of course, cost might be a factor for you, but if you can get them at typical U.S. prices, they

might be worth giving a try.

Jose Piedra....inconsistency is the only consistency :buddies:

I like them when they are "on." You do get some excellent batches come through. Work with your vendor to notify you when the batches are great and stock up.

Wuintero's suffer the same problem. You can get some cracker Quintero Brevas.

Seconding El Prez' advice I can add that I have had good experience with the JLP Cremas. Sure, they are not going to dazzle anyone with subtlety or complexity of flavour but for the 5 or 6 years I have been smoking them regularly they have nearly always shown a nice even burn and well, that Cubaness for want of a better word. I think I can count only 3 out of a hundred that have burnt crook. I am working my way through a 5x5 box REO Mar 07. Very consistent, they're nice honest cigars.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

The most intelligent move would be to cut down in order to smoke only Sir Winstons, Punch DCs, Bolivar Royal Coronas and goody Montees... But man, my looooove of the cigar smoke is so close to an obsession that I ain't sure it's a realistic option, lol. So, I decided this morning that I would either win the lottery or get rich quick :party: .

In the meantime, I will try again the JLP Crema; it's been a while since I puffed one and forgot about it. For some reason, I also forgot about Quinteros - think it's time to get re-aquainted with those unpretentious fellas...

El Prez, my buying season for quality stogies is in the Fall (I'm a contractual technical translator, among other things, and summer is always slow). If you do have one good box of chocolatey Punch DCs, please put my name on it and let it rest until I'm ready :party: . Only death would prevent me from placing an order for those jewels. The Punch brand is generally unavailable in Canada and my preferred vendor doesn't carry it. Damn! I have only 3 Punch DCs left in my humble humi... Since it's a gorgeous day here in Montreal, think I'll have one by the pool with a German wheat beer, my favorite combo. Life is good.

Cheers!!