The Bar at Buena Vista

Came up to Melbourne Saturday to see the 'Bar at Buena Vista' billed as the Grandfathers of Cuban Music. I was lucky to get tickets from a friend at the last minute and I am glad I made the trip. The show is a narrated step back in time to the late 50s in Havana. The set shows a bar, dance floor and band. The bar is complete with glass top humidor, there are bottles of Havana Club rum and cigar boxes on the shelves at the back. As the story unfolds we are introduced to the stars, dancers and musicians in the band.

I was impressed by the musicians and dancers. It is rare to be able to see top Cuban artists like this and it was a privilege. Thanks to Fuzz who alerted me to the show coming up on the thread here. :rotfl:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...03&hl=buena

Highlights for me were Reynaldo Creagh singing (age 91) and Maestro Rubalcalba on piano. They stayed on stage while other parts of the show went ahead and I am sure they would have been more comfortable to light up a stick, something nice. It would have been in context and added to the show but the state laws here.....well many of you are suffering under similar anti-smoking laws. :D

Anyway, the tickets are not cheap but considering there are always about 14 performers on stage at any one time it is worth it and it is a show that always has enough going on that you feel sometimes you need to really concentrate, hey, its good fun. The dancers are hot, the music and attitude is infectious. Cynics may say that they are trading on the Ry Cooder Buena Vista Social Club phenomenon but really, this is the best way to get the widest publicity since I think in this country Cuban music is not that well known apart from Cooder's work with them.

Here is a screen shot from their website: www.baratbuenavista.com with the tour dates. Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra and Perth (with the most shows).

tourdates.jpg

The stars:

Siomara Avilla Valdes Lescay - the Cuban Diva in The Bar at Buena Vista. Siomara started singing in the late 1950s in a duet named Las tropical.

Reynaldo Creagh, age 91 did his first gig as a lead voice of Septet Sonora in Santiago de Cuba, back in 1938.

Papi Oviedo, the world’s no. 1 tres player according to TUMI-music.

Maestro Rubalcaba comes from a legendary musical dynasty, playing violin and flute but earning his title 'Maestro' on the piano. Maestro Rubalcaba is a regular performer with the Buena Vista Social Club concerts in Havana, he tours regularly with the Afro Cuban Allstars and at the age of seventy nine is Cuba's pre eminent vintage pianist.

In Cuba he is known as 'The Hands of Gold'

Bolivr,

G'day. Do enjoy the show. I had the chance to watched the show live in Auckland abt 2 yrs ago. Really awesome.

Unfortunately the group is not touring NZ this time.

Enjoy.

mef