What are the pitfalls of cold temperature?

jdizzle113

Hello All,

I've asked alot of questions in the last few days and I've now got another one - and I apologise for this - I've still got much to learn, and since I know so little on the topic, I can't contribute much back. But hopefully when I learn more I can then start to give back.

Here's the question:

I've posted about the high humidity woes of the wine fridge I bought (for my desktop humidors) in a previous post:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...showtopic=96455

It's a constant struggle to keep the humidity low inside the fridge - I've tried chemical means unsuccessfully - and it seems the only way I can do it (and I was so reluctant to do this) is to turn the temperature right down to just under 10C or 50F. I usually like to store my humidors at about 16C or 60.8F. But right now my humidors and hence my cigars are very cold. Keeping the humidity up at these cold temperatures isn't a problem for me (there's no shortage of humidity here).

Hopefully, this sub-optimal cold temperature will only have to be a temporary measure. But in the event that I must permanently keep my cigars at this temperature I was wondering how this could negatively impact on my cigars? I know the usual concern is drying the cigars out - but I can keep humidity at a constant 65% with no problem. So re-phrasing - what are the negative effects of keeping your cigars at a cold temperature (~10C or 50F) if humidity is kept at the right conditions?

I remember hearing that cold temperature inhibits the ageing process (or maybe it speeds it up?), but is there anything else?

I remember hearing that cold temperature inhibits the ageing process (or maybe it speeds it up?), but is there anything else?

I imagine cooler temps might retard the maturation process. My one thought would be that taking a cold cigar into abrubtly warmer temps

and lighting it on fire might cause wrapper cracking or something along those lines. But to be honest, I'm just not sure that 50' F is cold

enough.

To tie in with your high humidity post, have you considered trying a cooler (esky)? They are very good at maintaining stable climates.

If you try one, take out all your sources of moisture. add a good sized container of dry beads or crystal cat litter - do not add any water.

Add your cigars and a calibrated hygrometer. The cooler should be placed in the coolest area of your home with no direct sunlight.

A basement is a great place for this type of storage. Add small amounts of water only as needed.

If additional cooling is still necessary, you could consider using refrigerant gel packs. Some members have used them with good results.

Try a search here, and google for more info.

Good luck!