Punch Punch - possibly from \'04

This cigar is a single that was part of my original order with the Czar from early '05 so I'm assuming that the stick was from '04 box.

Construction:

Nice mottled mid brown shade. No evidence of hard or soft spot. Pre-light aroma is that of cedar and leather. Not overlay aromatic. Clipped the cap and pre-light draw was on the tight side, but more than acceptable. After toasting the foot, the cigar lit quite easily, but tunneled on one side.

First third:

The uneven burn corrected itself by the end of the 1st inch. The cigar started very woody with a slight fungal mustiness to it. Medium to full body with a good volume of smoke. Towards the end of the first third, got a hint of spiciness.

2nd third:

The spiciness builds and the fungal flavors fades a bit to be replaced with some nuttiness. The wood undertone strengthens and some coffee bitterness starts to develop as well as some creaminess and a bit of sweetness.

Final third:

Spiciness fades, sweetness dissipates and the bitterness continue to strengthen. I had to purge it a couple of times and the bitterness fades and the cigar becomes creamier and the fungal undertones return. I put the cigar down with about half inch left when the bitterness returned.

Summary:

Good cigar. Great construction, medium to full bodied, some complexity to the flavors, very woody throughout, and a very enjoyable smoke. I'm not one for overly bitter flavors and this cigar gave just enough bitterness for me to dock some points for it. 88

The ubiquitous Punch Punch.

I am guilty of not smoking as many of these as I should. You know the situation....you go to your humidor fo a Punch Corona Gorda and you consistenly find yourself choosing the Punch Royal Seleccion No 11 or Punch Super Seleccion No 2 ....if you have any remaining.

I have had spectacular Punch Punch and ordinary Punch Punch. At their best they are as you describe but I have found a more intense creamy/earthy note. Time tends to get them to this stage.

Great review :ok: